Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

(So, Chief, what I wonder really is, how many head-slaps constitute a flame war? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

(So, Chief, what I wonder really is, how many head-slaps constitute a flame war? )
notice he didn't post any evidence to refute your claim. he just kept arguing that it was wrong.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
notice he didn't post any evidence to refute your claim. he just kept arguing that it was wrong.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
Notice I posted another point of view. But I realize that sycophants rarely pay attention.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Likely dozens. And I ate Italian. Good Mexican is hard to find here in the hinterland.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Likely dozens. And I ate Italian. Good Mexican is hard to find here in the hinterland.
Well, as long as we are staying away from flames ... might as well go with raw veggies ... no fire required

Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Well, as long as we are staying away from flames ... might as well go with raw veggies ... no fire required
From the garden right now, raw tomatoes, green/red peppers and chilis are fine. I draw the line at raw, Japanese eggplant but they sure are good on the grill.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
From the garden right now, raw tomatoes, green/red peppers and chilis are fine. I draw the line at raw, Japanese eggplant but they sure are good on the grill.
Our summer in the far NW (I'm nearly on the Canadian border, out in the islands) has yet to appear ... we have only hit and passed 70* maybe three days so far since last summer's end. Bottom line: garden is suffering. Surprisingly, the local berries have been good on the market despite lack of sun and temps. Cherries and many other produce are splitting open and struggling with too much rain, humidity, overcast. Brocolli and spinach and corn plants all bolted shortly after appearing. Harvest is on the slim side.

Global warming has concentrated itself elsewhere. No doubt another result of conservative agenda
Bummer. ... oh, but fish has been excellent -- speaking of the grill.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Our summer in the far NW (I'm nearly on the Canadian border, out in the islands) has yet to appear ... we have only hit and passed 70* maybe three days so far since last summer's end. Bottom line: garden is suffering. Surprisingly, the local berries have been good on the market despite lack of sun and temps. Cherries and many other produce are splitting open and struggling with too much rain, humidity, overcast. Brocolli and spinach and corn plants all bolted shortly after appearing. Harvest is on the slim side.

Global warming has concentrated itself elsewhere. No doubt another result of conservative agenda
Bummer. ... oh, but fish has been excellent -- speaking of the grill.
Grill usually 5-6 nights a week.

By the way, after Italian yesterday I came home and had a Negra Modelo. I'm an equal opportunity eater/drinker.

Yeah, that right wing global warming has wreaked havoc with many crops here but in some anticipation of the results we planted early this year and will end up with a long harvest period. The more the better when it comes to fresh veggies. Since we are sitting on karst we have to use raised garden beds and have plans to double our growing areas for next year.

On topic, had we ever been reduced to minimum wage the gardening would have become an imperative. Community gardening is something on which inner city dwellers, in particular, should concentrate.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Grill usually 5-6 nights a week.

By the way, after Italian yesterday I came home and had a Negra Modelo. I'm an equal opportunity eater/drinker.

Yeah, that right wing global warming has wreaked havoc with many crops here but in some anticipation of the results we planted early this year and will end up with a long harvest period. The more the better when it comes to fresh veggies. Since we are sitting on karst we have to use raised garden beds and have plans to double our growing areas for next year.

On topic, had we ever been reduced to minimum wage the gardening would have become an imperative. Community gardening is something on which inner city dwellers, in particular, should concentrate.
Raised beds here as well. The islands are idyllic as a lifestyle -- but the soil sucks for gardening ... soooo, I imported with pick-up truck loads of mushroom composted loam from over mainland side.

Inner city, and all subsistence gardening IS, indeed, something that all would be wise to focus on with whatever solutions it takes: raised beds, special soil development, whatever. But you realize it is a positively progressive threat to conservative capitalist-consumerism, right? We can't let this opportunity for partisanship slip by, can we?

Growing one's own food, or any part of one's food budget, threatens the mega-agri- and mega-food-processing corporations' foundations.. That, sir, is a threat to the economic Ponzi-scheme on which America -- and now the world -- thrives. If much of such subversive progressivism is tolerated, minimum-wage starts to become survivable. It is a slippery-slope once people become aware how much simpler and more independent life can be. Profits would plummet. Personal health would thrive -- further destroying the medical industry underpinnings of the runaway costs of living that support big business.

Tsk. Can't have none of it, Chief. Hell, home gardening -- converting one's worthless grass lawn which requires gasoline and mow-machinery to mow and chemical weeds killers to maintain, etc. ... which costs support our industrial complex, etc. -- home gardening is how many city folk made it through the Great Depression and WWII shortages. Positively un-American.

"In New York City, a gardening campaign led by the welfare department and helped by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), resulted in the formulation of over 5,000 gardens in vacant lots (Warner 1987). These 5,000 gardens produced $5 worth of vegetables for every dollar invested resulting in a total of $2.8 million worth of food by 1934 (Tucker 1993)."
4. Depression Relief Gardens: 1929-1939 « Sprouts in the Sidewalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California