Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see yourself as a Californian or an American first?
Californian first, American second 18 35.29%
American first, Californian second 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM

249 posts, read 392,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder what they thought about our bombers.

You know, the Germans were very quiet about WWII. One German told me that in Frankfurt where he lives there is a little "Jewish Mafia" and they do pretty much whatever they want to do. Also the Turks " run amok" and do whatever they want to do as well. The Germans authorities are afraid to " crack down" on any illegal or unsavory activities by ethnic minorities for fear of being labeled " nazis or fascists". In general the Germans were the most " pro American Europeans" I met. They wanted to talk to Americans because they wanted to learn " American English" instead of " British English". Of all the Europeans ( and South Africans, Australians, and " Kiwis") I have met, the Germans seemed the most friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 PM

I find it interesting that some identify as a Californian first, an American second. As a native born Californian, when the airplane touches down and I step on California soil I feel " at home" as California represents the land of my birth and all my memories as a child , young adult and young family man. Some of my great grandparents are buried in California soil. But California as a place of innovation and acceptance is a product of our American heritage. California as we know it exists because of our American Constitution, our Bill of Rights, and our Declaration of Independence giving us the ability to pursue our rights to " life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness". To some it may sound corny but California without the framework our Founding Fathers established would probably not be the place it is, or at least once was as I remembered it growing up. Living in the East, close to the physical places that remind one of the beginning of our Nation gives one a different perspective on what it means to be an American. I know when I lived in California, I rarely thought of " back east", now I can appreciate all of America, North, East, South, Midwest, and Far west and what it means to be an American.

Last edited by WeakandDizzy; 07-19-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,865 times
Generally when people ask me where I live, I can say California because most people outside of America know where that is.
But I'm not really from California (I was born here, but didn't move back until 8 years ago), so I would probably say I'm American first.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Generally when people ask me where I live, I can say California because most people outside of America know where that is.
But I'm not really from California (I was born here, but didn't move back until 8 years ago), so I would probably say I'm American first.
PortlanderinOC,
You were born on California soil. You are a Californian in my book no matter where fate took you.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
PortlanderinOC,
You were born on California soil. You are a Californian in my book no matter where fate took you.
Being labeled a Californian is not an exclusive label in my opinion. You are foremost an American, Californian by birth, and an Oregonian as well I presume based on your moniker.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
WeakandDizzy, I like your posts.

I'm a native Californian and during the early part of my life, I'd say up to age of 25 I would have answered the question, Californian first; American second. After joining the Navy and working and living in many parts of the world since my Navy time; I consider myself American first and Californian a slight second over Hawaii, which comes in at a very close third.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
Being labeled a Californian is not an exclusive label in my opinion. You are foremost an American, Californian by birth, and an Oregonian as well I presume based on your moniker.
Regardless, I don't feel at home in California (at least not Southern, I identify with Norcal more as I was born there and they share more in common with Oregon). If you are born somewhere but have no real memories growing up there, you are not from really there. Though if your parents are from there it may be different. If I were born in California but still living in Oregon, then I would definitely feel more Oregonian than Californian. However I did spend my teenage years here (I'm now 20), but even then I just can't feel home here.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 PM

194 posts, read 505,937 times

After moving around so much I suppose my loyalty is to this pale blue dot. Once I settle down, I'd like to focus my allegiance and pride into my local community as opposed to a state or nation. Civic pride goes a long way at building a nice community.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,299 times
Californian

Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
I have a lot more tee shirts and hats that have "California" than "America" on them so I identify sartorially more with CA. I guess if I'm in Arizona I'll need to be sure to identify myself as an American first so I don't get detained and deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California