Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with you on this one.

IMO Row houses have a lot more character than tacky tract houses any day. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
I have seen some attractive Victorian row houses in eastern PA.One looked like something Mary Poppins would have lived in. My fantasy home, however, would still be a stone or maybe log cabin with a stone fireplace and log mantle by a lake in the mountains surrouned by evergreen trees or any type of tree for that matter. Gotta have nature. My other fantasy home is/was a funky, handmade hippie tent or a genuine wigwam.

Last edited by katnip kid; 07-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I have seen some attractive Victorian row houses in eastern PA.One looked like something Mary Poppins would have lived in. My fantasy home, however, would still be a stone or maybe log cabin with a stone fireplace and log mantle by a lake in the mountains surrouned by evergreen trees or any type of tree for that matter. Gotta have nature. My other fantasy home is/was a funky, handmade hippie tent or a genuine wigwam.
Yeah. Our cultural associations are strong ... nostalgic visions of ambiance ... Mary Poppins ... Kings and queens ...

But the ones that evoke a sense of connection to nature go deeper as they appeal to a primordial reality

You are aware of yurts, no doubt?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Yes, I am aware of yurts. They look cool. They had a show on these. Awesome.

These types of housing (yurts, tents, simple cabins) seem like they would be more appropriate in CA's milder winters. I this correct? I can't imagine a yurt in the Poconos in the Winter.

Zoning laws aside, what is to stop a person from purchasing land in CA, and then just living in a yurt/wigwam/tent/simple cabin? I have thought of this. Seriously. I mean, if I just went about my biz, kept a low profile, whose to know,esp. if the neighbors are like-minded, ya know?

Last edited by katnip kid; 07-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Yes, I am aware of yurts. They look cool. They had a show on these. Awesome.

These types of housing (yurts, tents, simple cabins) seem like they would be more appropriate in CA's milder winters. I this correct? I can't imagine a yurt in the Poconos in the Winter.

Zoning laws aside, what is to stop a person from purchasing land in CA, and then just living in a yurt/wigwam/tent/simple cabin? I have thought of this. Seriously. I mean, if I just went about my biz, kept a low profile, whose to know,esp. if the neighbors are like-minded, ya know?
Well, we are certainly far afield of the OP's interests in housing -- unfortunately -- but let's run for a moment with the tangent.

There are quite a number of folks living in every imaginable climate in yurts. In California, Minnesota, Maine, Hawaii. Remember: their origin is as the nomadic dwelling of Mongolian tribes on inhospitable, frozen, windswept landscapes. The companies now manufacturing ready-made yurts sell a variety of insulation accessory liners, and reports are they work great.

There are certainly a good number of yurts in California and yurts have been allowed as dwellings in some areas of some states. I don't know about California. Some yurt company websites I looked at in the past had links about where they have been approved. I would bet that you couldn't get them accepted anywhere coastal. However, as non-permanent dwelling structures, there's no stopping you from having one on some land as they are, rightly, classified as "temporary structures" ... kind of like you can park an RV or a boat on your property. That said, there are communities that have CC&R restrictions that won't allow parking RV's or erecting tents, or even parking a boat unless under defined compliances. In unincorporated rural areas that are not community developed, you could likely put one up many places. How long you could stay in it would depend on whether neighbors had a grudge and complained.

The challenge with living in tents is securing the contents. Rather than relying on hard walls with locked doors and windows, you'd have to create external barriers. Like dig a moat around it and populate it with alligators Or, you could build a creative fence using razor-wire with dense hedgerows growing around the wire to hide it. Electrified gate. That sort of thing. Or live without the kinds of material possessions that are attractive to thieves. And, nothing, but no thing, beats a good, big, dedicated dog. Bonus: you get to enjoy slobbery kisses when you come home every day.

You can make your own yurt from scratch, btw. Buying the kits ain't real cheap.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
If your husband wants to surf Northern California is too cold. Encinitas is the perfect fit. Just south of Carlsbad, best surfing in San Diego County, tons of vegans, you can find reasonable housing for the coastal area. Good schools, tons of families your age and lifestyle.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 AM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadNoMore View Post
Nutshell:

lived in Carlsbad for a few months 6 years ago and loved it

Have we answered our own question? Does California sound like a right fit for our family?

Judging by everything you wrote in your OP, your comment (in bold) pretty much answers why California would be your best fit. It seems to be the only place you were truly happy. If you aren't political and don't really care what legislators are doing to the state, you should fit in just fine. Go for it and good luck!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 8,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
If your husband wants to surf Northern California is too cold. Encinitas is the perfect fit. Just south of Carlsbad, best surfing in San Diego County, tons of vegans, you can find reasonable housing for the coastal area. Good schools, tons of families your age and lifestyle.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm thinking if we are to make this move worthwhile we may need to just consider Southern California. Otherwise, we may be left in a similar situation. Not to say we wouldn't move to the Bay area if a job came through, it just may end up being a gateway to end up south.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 8,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, we are certainly far afield of the OP's interests in housing -- unfortunately -- but let's run for a moment with the tangent.

There are quite a number of folks living in every imaginable climate in yurts. In California, Minnesota, Maine, Hawaii. Remember: their origin is as the nomadic dwelling of Mongolian tribes on inhospitable, frozen, windswept landscapes. The companies now manufacturing ready-made yurts sell a variety of insulation accessory liners, and reports are they work great.

There are certainly a good number of yurts in California and yurts have been allowed as dwellings in some areas of some states. I don't know about California. Some yurt company websites I looked at in the past had links about where they have been approved. I would bet that you couldn't get them accepted anywhere coastal. However, as non-permanent dwelling structures, there's no stopping you from having one on some land as they are, rightly, classified as "temporary structures" ... kind of like you can park an RV or a boat on your property. That said, there are communities that have CC&R restrictions that won't allow parking RV's or erecting tents, or even parking a boat unless under defined compliances. In unincorporated rural areas that are not community developed, you could likely put one up many places. How long you could stay in it would depend on whether neighbors had a grudge and complained.

The challenge with living in tents is securing the contents. Rather than relying on hard walls with locked doors and windows, you'd have to create external barriers. Like dig a moat around it and populate it with alligators Or, you could build a creative fence using razor-wire with dense hedgerows growing around the wire to hide it. Electrified gate. That sort of thing. Or live without the kinds of material possessions that are attractive to thieves. And, nothing, but no thing, beats a good, big, dedicated dog. Bonus: you get to enjoy slobbery kisses when you come home every day.

You can make your own yurt from scratch, btw. Buying the kits ain't real cheap.
Ha! Although I knew (this posting) was off on a tangent I caught the word "yurts" and just had to Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California