Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Just seems so draconian to charge a 25% late fee for paying 15 days late. In a state run by liberals no less. I'll just go out of my way to order stuff online to starve CA of that $62. Not worth it for me to go down to a DMV office and waste 1 1/2 to 2 hours of my time to fight it.

Yes, I take my junk mail to Staples twice a year to have it shredded.
HELLO! That means a state run by people who never saw a penny of other peoples money they didn't want and couldn't spend.

Hmm! Sounds just like the CA Legislature. Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
My problem with them is the send the notice WAY too soon! By the time it's due, I've forgotten it.

There is a reason why my username is what it is.

And BTW I'm sure it's the liberals fault. Those pesky bureaucrats at the DMV are surely all liberals. Anyone else old enough to remember when all car registration was due at the end of the year? Now THAT was something!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Anyone else old enough to remember when all car registration was due at the end of the year? Now THAT was something!
And trips to the DMV were something to dread? This was before the appointment system and all the online services. Inefficiency, thy name used to be CA DMV.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
The legislature thanks you for being late & giving the state a xtra $62.00.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Suggestion: Buy a large $ sign refrigerator magnet and stick the notice to your refrigerator that you see every day.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
My solution:

I am paying my DMV fees gladly on time this year to avert late fees. I refuse to pay the state (and feds later on) any more than I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And trips to the DMV were something to dread? This was before the appointment system and all the online services. Inefficiency, thy name used to be CA DMV.
I hate the Redwood City DMV, so not all DMVs are made equal. In their case, inefficiency is their name.

DMVs just look equal in their mundane 1960s-era government cinder block buildings on any given freeway in California.

However, I like the San Mateo DMV. And yes, I used appointments at both locations.

As an aside, did you know that you can read reviews and actually review DMV locations on Yelp.com? You can even do it with freeways (i.e.: 5, 101), train networks (i.e.: BART) and train stations!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The legislature thanks you for being late & giving the state a xtra $62.00.
Darrell Steinberg, Mark Leno and that guy from L.A. who's the Speaker of the Assembly...oh, yes, Pérez. They'll pay any willing donors a personal visit.

If Leno wants to significantly limit Californians' rights to possess firearms, then by golly he can at least take me to the best steakhouse in his district in San Francisco and explain his stance!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I've never heard someone complain about receiving too much notice about a bill being due.
As somebody else pointed out they send it so early that you forget about it. But in my case I wasn't expecting the bill 3 months before it was due so I wasn't looking out for it amongst all the junk mail I receive (all of my monthly bills are electronic). My last car had a February sticker and was due by 2/28 so mentally I thought I was good until the end of the month. My credit card sends (e-mails actually) me a statement every month at a predictable time and gives me 30 days to pay it before imposing late fees.

BTW, I called the DMV to ask about waiving the fees. I was very polite and and the guy rudely said "go to the DMV office" and hung the phone up. I had to repeat "serenity now" a few times after that call

Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
As somebody else pointed out they send it so early that you forget about it. But in my case I wasn't expecting the bill 3 months before it was due so I wasn't looking out for it amongst all the junk mail I receive (all of my monthly bills are electronic). My last car had a February sticker and was due by 2/28 so mentally I thought I was good until the end of the month. My credit card sends (e-mails actually) me a statement every month at a predictable time and gives me 30 days to pay it before imposing late fees.

BTW, I called the DMV to ask about waiving the fees. I was very polite and and the guy rudely said "go to the DMV office" and hung the phone up. I had to repeat "serenity now" a few times after that call
Wow! I must have been unique. I actually used to pay the bill when I received it. How strange is that?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
I don't buy your argument whatsoever. You claim the bill was left stranded in a pile of junk mail - if you received it within a month of it being due, I have a feeling it would still be in the junk mail pile. You clearly don't vet your mail, so why try to convince us otherwise? Actually ... you don't really need to, since you're the one with the late fee and not me.

Live and learn, but don't try to convince us that this is anyone's fault but your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California