Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM

190 posts, read 844,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Nope, it is states like California that are supporting the rest of the welfare red states.

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist
What are liberals complaining about? This is simply a form of wealth redistribution.

Anyways, Like someone already mentioned, you have to look at what is behind the numbers rather than just immediately write off a red state as a "taker" rather than a "giver". I know here in Virginia and Maryland the numbers are skewed simply because the Seat of the Federal Government is in this area. So naturally you are going to have a lot of Federal dollars spent here because this is where many of the agencies are located.

Last edited by novaman; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
What are liberals complaining about? This is simply a form of wealth redistribution.
They're not complaining ... they are making a valid point about the hypocritical tea-party conservative whiners ...

Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Arguably NYC is a far more sclerotic welfare state than CA

But as much as CA's confused taxpayers/voters can be mocked for the idiot commie politicians they choose (again no worse than the commies in NYC/NJ/CT/IL)....vast majority of wealthiest in CA are relatively young engineers/entrepreneurs in SV, many of whom aren't originally from CA but chose to migrate here as poor students from some middle-income home often in suburban US somewhere...and are now amongst the top <1% of earners and taxpayers

CA is a remarkably dynamic and self-selecting economy, continually attracting ambitious immigrants from RoW as well as kids from all over US who will migrate to wherever are best yuppie jobs/careers/lifestyles....life is a two-way dynamic in many senses...and many major taxpayers don't waste time w/voting....far more efficient to donate to whichever community organizer if one is incensed after one is semi-retired when have chance to consider what nonsense goes on in gvt spending in a welfare state

By most metrics, incomes in SV are 2x NYC (in comparable SV careers), yet COL in SV is <50% that of Manhattan....mkt sorts itself out by individual self-interest despite attempts of idiot central planners or blame games of idiot underachievers who may want to blame others/society for their own lack of achievement/upward mobility

30-40yrs ago, engineers were rather poorly paid/obsoleting professionals vs entertainers/MDs/JDs/stockbrokers/salesguys, etc....today, large % of world's wealthiest and youngest are engineers/entrepreneurs....in many ways, would argue US economy today is more productive and self-made than at any time in its history, despite masses of unskilled, lazy welfare parasites who work in gvt or other rent-seeking industries...life is a cyclic, relative value game in many ways

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Right. It is from B.C., not California. The theory and relationships are pretty close, however. I had a list of related info sites -- which included several Canadian. I just grabbed about a dozen and threw them onto the post as a relative gesture. The point being: a person can learn a lot by a little searching and reading -- as you are taking the time to do, it seems. Most don't bother. They'd rather just knee-jerk and stereotype for their amusement.
The problem with your links is that they look at only the one welfare program, TANF, the cash give-away program and don't consider all the many other welfare handout programs. SSDI, food stamps, WIC, free meals at headstarts and schools, housing vouchers, utility payments, Medicaid, etc, etc, etc.

TANF is bad -- but it's it's just only one of the welfare programs. And there is no denying that more children are being born into food stamp families on Medicaid and getting all sorts of government handouts.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
wow, i think you're late for church. unless you are at work and getting paid for this?
You and Nullgeo are typical of the majority of people. You don't see a crisis coming until it's too late.

If you are interested, here is an intro into what I'm talking about:

Angels & Demons Revealed - YouTube

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
They're not complaining ... they are making a valid point about the hypocritical tea-party conservative whiners ...
Amen, brother. They whine about taxes meanwhile they're all dirt bags living in states which don't actually pay any net taxes. We want those arrogant ingrates to start paying their own ways instead of sucking up our tax dollars while they berate us.

They need to either put their money where their mouths are or they should shut the hell up.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychicago View Post
We moved out of California to Florida because of the taxes
I hate to say it but unless you make over $250,000 per year then you're just not that bright because the tax difference is negligible. The total difference in taxes between supposedly "high tax" California and supposedly "low tax" Texas is just 2 base points. Further more California's still make more than Texans too so your total after tax take home is actually larger in California.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You and Nullgeo are typical of the majority of people. You don't see a crisis coming until it's too late.

Angels & Demons Revealed - YouTube

I have a cuckoo clock which goes "CUCKOO! CUCKOO!" which is kind of annoying but at least the clock still tells the time. That at least makes it more useful then that video you linked to which babbles about conspiracy theories and "the New World Order".

Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I don't know your age and experiences in life, but I am getting somewhat "long in tooth" ... have lived through lots of prognostications of earthly and social demise. I have survived combat service in wars, economic downturns, loved ones dying (young) in my arms, been told I was dying and then recovered, been smashed to bits on several occasions that took years of rehab to recover, and and and ... and I have studied a fair amount of world history, religions, health sciences, anthropology, as well as arts, -- including earning under-grad and graduate degrees in arts and in sciences, and made my living in arts, and construction, and business. And here I am, healthy as a horse after all, and with four grown children and three grandchildren and the world is still going round.

Tell me more about the crisis I don't see. Read my posts which so often focus on the unsuitability of Homo sapiens living as we do in large societies with un-natural diets ... etc. Tell me about what I don't see.

You have a good day. It's summer. The sun is lovely. Take a hike. Go fishing. Go sailing. Watch the sunset. Have a beer.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
California is not the welfare capital. It's population is just so much larger than the other states that the raw numbers look large until you normalize it as a percentage of population or as the number of cases per 100,000.
It would seem that it is. Raw numbers can be an indicator. According to just about every set of stats available, California, with roughly 12% of the US population, has about 33% of the nation's welfare recipients. That translates to a welfare rate of nearly triple that of the nation as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California