Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 AM

767 posts, read 1,737,174 times

Advertisements

Ah, the epic plastic bag thread.

I'll tell the grandchildren I participated in this thread.

As for plastic bags and how they relate to my existence as a human.... I liked large plastic bags because I could use them as trash can liners. Remember, it's (a) reduce, (b) reuse), (c) recycle! Yay! Being the treehugger that I am, I would religiously recycle the ones I didn't reuse.

As we move forward into a plastic bag-less era, though, and I'm ready to adapt.

Now I'll buy special plastic bags and I'll throw them into the landfill. Gotta use something for landfilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,021,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Ah, the epic plastic bag thread.

I'll tell the grandchildren I participated in this thread.

As for plastic bags and how they relate to my existence as a human.... I liked large plastic bags because I could use them as trash can liners. Remember, it's (a) reduce, (b) reuse), (c) recycle! Yay! Being the treehugger that I am, I would religiously recycle the ones I didn't reuse.

As we move forward into a plastic bag-less era, though, and I'm ready to adapt.

Now I'll buy special plastic bags and I'll throw them into the landfill. Gotta use something for landfilling.
lol Yup. That sounds about right. A real solution needs to be created, not one that is just meant to line pockets with money. Such is life, I suppose. As long as humans are greedy and self-centered, this planet and all the other animals on it have no hope. But, hey, someone is going to get rich off charging for bags, so I guess that should go in the win column.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,275,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
lol Yup. That sounds about right. A real solution needs to be created, not one that is just meant to line pockets with money. Such is life, I suppose. As long as humans are greedy and self-centered, this planet and all the other animals on it have no hope. But, hey, someone is going to get rich off charging for bags, so I guess that should go in the win column.
Very true. I don't agree with the charge. It's just another tax really.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,265,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Very true. I don't agree with the charge. It's just another tax really.
Yep the main problem is not CA but the pacific rim countries like China.

CA's example will mean soooo much to them.

Again an effort to look good, while doing very little to actually help. Oh yeah, and cost the public even more in the charges now in existence for "reusable" bags or even the old free paper bags. Why didn't the State just outlaw plastic bags and leave paper bags alone???????

Ah well, China will just sell us more paper bags and re-usable bags and they don't have any minimum wage to worry about either. (another thread).

Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,501,552 times
For what its worth, I don't think the state is profiting much off of the sale of paper bags, if at all. Most of the "charge for paper" laws are on the muni level, anyway, and seem to be more of an incentive for shoppers to bring reusable bags, rather than make a switch to paper. Its my guess that the $.05 goes to the store itself, but again, just a guess.

....something to research this afternoon.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,275,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep the main problem is not CA but the pacific rim countries like China.

CA's example will mean soooo much to them.

Again an effort to look good, while doing very little to actually help. Oh yeah, and cost the public even more in the charges now in existence for "reusable" bags or even the old free paper bags. Why didn't the State just outlaw plastic bags and leave paper bags alone???????

Ah well, China will just sell us more paper bags and re-usable bags and they don't have any minimum wage to worry about either. (another thread).
I never said the charge would be financially crippling. Even the poorest among us can get by with it. My point was, I see no logical reason for such a small charge.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,265,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I never said the charge would be financially crippling. Even the poorest among us can get by with it. My point was, I see no logical reason for such a small charge.
I agree, why any charge at all????

Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,173,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
They are also not useful for disposal of trash (trash can liners) and dog poop.
I grew up when grocery stores didn't have plastic bags, and used them in my early adulthood too. My parents and I always used paper bags for trash can liners and bucket liners for picking up the dog poop. We used them to cover our school books (everybody had to cover their books, don't know if they still do that) and to wrap presents when we were out of wrapping paper. I finally switched to plastic when the bottom ripped out of a paper bag yet again and a six-pack of beer bottles shattered on the driveway. I broke soooo many bottles using paper bags that ripped. But, yeah, paper bags were very useful in the long-ago days.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,879,054 times
Who cares? Is it some how a hardship for you to use a paper bag?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,501,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Who cares? Is it some how a hardship for you to use a paper bag?
Who are you addressing and have you read the entire thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California