Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No. None of the above relates to the point of the topic.
The "premise" is to demonstrate that people who suggest that if taxes rise California will become a wasteland of illegals and welfare enrollees and minimum-wage working class are not thinking clearly. Such suggestions have been commonplace on this forum: the wealthy and businesses alike are "leaving California in droves" due to high taxations, "over-regulation", and general "anti-business climate".

When I happened across the linked article I was amused -- in a sort of disgusted way. And it reminded me of the "rats leaving a sinking ship" rhetoric predicting the same for California. Right? Chicken-little sees problems as: the sky is falling. No hope. Impending doom. No one can survive challenges by working through them. Flee. Flee. Flee. The state will be left a wasteland of undesirability.

No. It won't. Plenty of folks around the country and world would love to move in given an opening to escape their challenges elsewhere that are worse. It's the same mentality. Like a Chinese fire drill. Musical chairs.
Really when anyone says hey raising taxes IS NOT THE SOLUTON then you yell LEAVE! Now you are denigrating those who are leaving for the very same thing that those whom are staying who see hope but with much needed change...but you yell LEAVE to them since all if just fine and dandy...NICE

I will say it again loud and clear. INCREASING TAXES IS THE WRONG WAY TO GO! AUSTERIETY IS THE WAY FOR CA TO GO!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Really when anyone says hey raising taxes IS NOT THE SOLUTON then you yell LEAVE! Now you are denigrating those who are leaving for the very same thing that those whom are staying who see hope but with much needed change...but you yell LEAVE to them since all if just fine and dandy...NICE
This is incomprehensible ... please rewrite if you have a point you can convey ...

... and you still didn't answer my earlier question about who you refer to as "benefiting from our money and the screwed up system that pays their way through life to do nothing." Who, TVC, do you mean is taking your money for doing nothing?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
This is incomprehensible ... please rewrite if you have a point you can convey ...
Of course it does not to you...but it is exactly what you are doing.

Quote:
... and you still didn't answer my earlier question about who you refer to as "benefiting from our money and the screwed up system that pays their way through life to do nothing." Who, TVC, do you mean is taking your money for doing nothing?
Think about it Who takes our money? I am certain you can answer that on your own.

Go back to the poster who worked in welfare and wrote about the abuses and sloppy checks and balances of the CA welfare system. Now can you connect the dots?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That article never mentions California. It mentions the US, last of the countries some might move to. Russia's income taxes are lowest in the chart. Think many French will move to Russia?

These people will get great advice from their tax advisors. They'll consider everything, not just income taxes. And somehow - I don't see a lot of long established non-English speaking wealthy people moving to the US. And California is one of the places most likely to ban foie gras!

I think the lesson, if there is one, is that taxes can change behavior. Raise taxes, and some people will do something to avoid paying the higher taxes. The wealthy are best equipped to do that.
Right. The article doesn't mention Calif. ... and that's not the point, of course ... I merely used this example of discontent as a parallel parable -- to the ridiculous predictions often leveled that California will become a wasteland.

As for the French:
... non-English-speaking? Non! They, especially the well-to-do, speak plenty English in France ... and throughout Europe.

Russia?! Ha! Yeah, a few adventuresome would go there and brave the cold and snow and ungodly social and economic chaos ... and, by the way, Moscow is now THE most expensive COL in the entire world -- true story. Compared to the Mediterranean climate, overall beauty, and culture of coastal California? Phhhbt ...

But, again, the point wasn't that the French are coming ... it's that for every person and business that might leave -- another from somewhere else is waiting to move in.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Of course it does not to you...but it is exactly what you are doing.

Think about it Who takes our money? I am certain you can answer that on your own.

Go back to the poster who worked in welfare and wrote about the abuses and sloppy checks and balances of the CA welfare system. Now can you connect the dots?
Do you mean the poster who wrote exaggerations and hyperbole and then backed off her claims when I challenged them?
So now you are referring to welfare enrollees as "cheerleaders"?
I'm sorry but you are not writing clearly.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 AM

6,114 posts, read 12,477,913 times
Quote:
... it's that for every person and business that might leave -- another from somewhere else is waiting to move in.
That could be said about nearly every country in the map.

Was there some kind of news flash here that people wanted to emigrate to the US? Or was the news flash that they're wealthy? Or French? People have been thrilled to come here for centuries. I'm not seeing the big story here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Do you mean the poster who wrote exaggerations and hyperbole and then backed off her claims when I challenged them?
So now you are referring to welfare enrollees as "cheerleaders"?
I'm sorry but you are not writing clearly.
I am writing very clearly but you fail to understand since it does not fit your mould.

That poster did not back off one bit but added a more clear insight. You just tweaked it to your liking as usual.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
That could be said about nearly every country in the map.
Yes. Pretty much. And that kinda supports the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Was there some kind of news flash here that people wanted to emigrate to the US? Or was the news flash that they're wealthy? Or French? People have been thrilled to come here for centuries. I'm not seeing the big story here.
No. One more time. When I read this story it reminded me of the whining I read on this CD California forum frequently about how the state is so screwed up and getting so bad it will drive all the important people and businesses away and what will be left will be a wasteland of poverty and crime and welfare. Which is nonsense. And this news item shows how the same things are said of France -- the world's 5th largest economy. And France's taxation levels, like much of Europe's, is far worse than the U.S. and California's. Thus, if wealthy French are preparing to flee for greener pastures, they are an example of how many wealthy and highly business-capable there are around the world enduring under worse financial conditions than exist in California ... California, disaster to some perspectives, is desirable in others.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I am writing very clearly but you fail to understand since it does not fit your mould.

That poster did not back off one bit but added a more clear insight. You just tweaked it to your liking as usual.
You are not writing clearly at all.

The poster certainly did back off. Go back and re-read. No more mention of "10 kids to welfare families" (she downsized her statistic to 3+) ... no more claims of $10K monthly payments to single welfare mothers ... no more discussion of welfare paying for "designer clothes and Cadillacs". She even refrained from any further calling welfare recipients "mofo's".

Now then, are you saying that welfare recipients are the "cheerleaders" you are referring to in this thread? I don't think that's who you had in mind. I'd like you to clarify who are taking advantage of the system and who you suggest you are paying with your money to "go through life doing nothing". You leveled that accusation at me in the other thread you refer to. Who are you leveling it at this time TVC? And what proof do you have to define "going through life doing nothing"?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
You are not writing clearly at all.

The poster certainly did back off. Go back and re-read. No more mention of "10 kids to welfare families" (she downsized her statistic to 3+) ... no more claims of $10K monthly payments to single welfare mothers ... no more discussion of welfare paying for "designer clothes and Cadillacs". She even refrained from any further calling welfare recipients "mofo's".

Now then, are you saying that welfare recipients are the "cheerleaders" you are referring to in this thread? I don't think that's who you had in mind. I'd like you to clarify who are taking advantage of the system and who you suggest you are paying with your money to "go through life doing nothing". You leveled that accusation at me in the other thread you refer to. Who are you leveling it at this time TVC? And what proof do you have to define "going through life doing nothing"?
Figure it out...I wrote clearly.

About the welfare poster. She did not back off. She reiterated in a much kinder manner...which did not take away from the fact that the welfare system is corrupt and needs an overhaul. The things you focused on from her post were not my focus. The real issues were my focus and they should be yours as well unless you are a taker yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California