Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

I live in Visalia, Ca which is in the middle of the valley. I grew up here and am now not liking it due to housing cost and the little job opportunities it has. I have a family and would like to relocate to somewhere that is more of a big town and has more stuff to do than look at fields of cows. Also would like to leave california if the area is way nicer than Visalia. Somewhere that has a good night life and scenary and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,577,328 times
What type of work do you do or are you looking to get into? Once you find a decent job the rest tends to fall into place.

Derek

Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,007,479 times
If you don't like the cost of living in Visalia, I'm not sure if you'll like the COL in other CA cities.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,400 times
I currently work at walmart. I just turned 20. Ive taken some college courses but it just wasnt for me because id rather work. And i know th COL in other cities is higher than here. There is no limitation to where i will go. Out of state would be best.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,311,392 times
20 years old, already have a family, have very little education, live in the Central Valley and can't figure out why it "sucks"?

Bro. You've already made way too many mistakes.

Just the fact that you are working at all puts you in a considerably more advantageous position over many thousands of people around you. So just on that ALONE means it's not "as bad" as you think it is. What do you DO at Wal-Mart? What other job experience have you had? Are you prepared to incur the actual cost of relocating? I don't understand what you mean about the cost of housing, which here in your area (I live just south of Visalia in a newer part of Tulare) are just about the lowest in the State.

Sounds to me like you are simply having a bad day and have gone into some sort of knee-jerk reactive mode. Take it from someone quite a bit older than you: don't compound your mistakes and ask out to total strangers to come up with a/the plan you can't (or won't) on your own. Come up with some hypotheticals yourself as well as a goal/wish list. Then (and only then) will any of us be able to possibly offer some guidance that might resemble something useful. Until then, sorry to break it to you, but you're 20. You think you know it all. You really don't know squat.

But when you're really ready, come back and us curmudgeons will be happy to lend you some tips.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 08-11-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,577,328 times
I strongly recommend working on a Career Plan of action First. Then think about where you want to live. Moving to some cheaper location won't really solve much of anything except maybe in the shorter term. You might have cheaper rent while working a minimal paying job. But honestly where will that really get you and your family? Think about what you really want for yourself and your family in the longer run. If college isn't for you then maybe an apprenticeship program learning a trade would be better. How about becoming an EMT, firefighter, police officer, joining the military, auto or aircraft mechanic, etc..? Something is better than nothing. If you want to stay in retail Trader Joes is a better place to work. But to become a store manager I think you need a college education. These are the more important things you will be thinking about the rest of your working life regardless of where you live. You can suck it up and work harder now in establishing yourself or come back in 10+ years wishing you had.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-11-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California