Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times

Advertisements

Liberals run California and the United States. A lot of big businesses are going overseas, as well as giving jobs to other countries. The government also contributes the the unemployment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Red states DON'T usually have good economies. Alabama? Georgia? Mississippi? Arkansas? C'mon now, none come even close to California (or NY or MA) in ordinary economic times.
They do have good economies just not as large as CA or NY. Difference is they only spend according to their economy and budget and do not over commit.

Some of the best economies today are Red, just not as huge as CA.

Did I mention they balance their budgets ?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
The rate is high because California has great weather and lots of food. People do not have to struggle so hard to survive- so they struggle less...If they were in a place where it was cold they would have two choices in the winter months...Get the chainsaw out and go into the wood lot and cut dead seasoned trees to stay warm- Or get a regular job and buy heating oil...

Even if you are poor you can survive in Cal ...a little work...a little crime...a bit of this and that..some trading...and some how you get by..I lived in Oakland about 37 years ago...We had the use of a truck...The locals would show up and we would cut deals to move this- get that- clean up some garbage..anything- so we got by-- They were almost third world conditions..but we got by...Once the neighborhood guys figured out we were not really blonde blue eyed whites but black inside...we did fine.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,137,399 times
Anti competitive feel good biosphere laws like AB32.

The prison system letting out Jerry Brown’s children.

The good ole 99 weeks of handout pleasure, so why get a job or even move.

The lack of cheap energy. We don’t need to build new refineries the current ones can go full blast, until they blast to make some special blend of California gas.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm trying to think of an easier word than "cyclical". How about "it goes up and down a lot over a time scale of decades". You seem to be under the impression that the main indicator of economic health is the unemployment rate at the moment, together with surveys of CEOs.

Lots and lots of minimum wage dead-end McJobs in red states don't add up to a healthy economy.
Lots of jobs add up to lots of jobs. Most of the red states are experiencing growing economies and people moving here to take advantage of that. The blues states are, largely, not.

I'm not requiring you to change your personal beliefs. Most people have a tendancy to cling to their belief system all the harder when confronted with information that challange that. I get that. Still, the information is all there. All you have to do is to access it. Come to terms with it as best as you can.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
My name is Dutchman, I post long drawn out articles to try to prove points
I offer my opinons on a number of political and social subjects on a political forum. I use articles, graphs, and links to provide support for my assertions. If my articles are long it because I'm interested in these subjects and try not to limit myself to mere political talking points that do not add to my knowledge base.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,261 times
The highest unemployment areas of California [esp. the Central Valley] tend to rely on agriculture/construction...the latter took a nosedive since the housing market in this area went south, and agrilculture always has high unemployment during the off-season. Other than Bakersfield which has some oil activity the rest of the area has never been able to successfully diversify their economy so it is always a drag on the rest of the state. In a lot of these areas 8-9% unemployment is common even during normal times. Young educated people usually move out of the area for opportunities in the Bay and the other major urban areas and many don't return.

It's like an albatross around the neck of the state's economy, and the recovery has been slow. One interesting thing to note is that the Central Valley in particular is the "red state" area of California. The state also has a lot of low population areas that do not have much to offer in way of work opportunity, so those too also make it tough for the state to really recover even when there's a lot of improvement in the state's economic centers.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Uh, who are "you guys" and what are we "doing wrong?"

In your state of infinite wisdom and quoting prowess, you may not have considered than few if any of us are politicians or policy-setters. We're voters and tax payers who, for all you know, voted red and aren't fond of paying heavy taxation that funds our insatiable public employee unions or our illegal immigrant-saturated public schools.

It's time for you to stop being such a simplistic flyover state person and to start realizing that unlike ND- which has a homogenous population far less than 1M- some states are highly populated, diverse and complex beyond your understanding as is made plain by your reference to "you guys."

Think, man, think!
My statement was for, woof, a native of the state of california who wants to believe the high unemployment rate of his state is simply a temporary condition. While he may well be right I've suggested the problems in california are far from simple and have been in the making for decades. I even provided a couple of articles that supported my assertions. It's an issue I've been following for quite some time now.

I am from not from nd. I am from arkansas. The population of this state is far from homogenous. We have our problems too. One of our many problems are all the damned california natives that are now here. While some are fine people I'm sure I'm offended by the very presence of most of them. I hope I've made my position clear for you. Have a nice day.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Lots of jobs add up to lots of jobs. Most of the red states are experiencing growing economies and people moving here to take advantage of that. The blues states are, largely, not.

I'm not requiring you to change your personal beliefs. Most people have a tendancy to cling to their belief system all the harder when confronted with information that challange that. I get that. Still, the information is all there. All you have to do is to access it. Come to terms with it as best as you can.
I notice you're still failing to access the fact that California is wildly more successful than your state except for the occasional downturn ..... as noted in Kerfluffle's post, the downturns are mostly because of agricultural workers.

Deal with it.

One of the reasons why Californians retire to other states is that we can afford to do so. We mostly haven't been working at McJobs all our lives, but rather engineers, doctors, high level technicians, software, architects, etc. So come that age, it's time to experiment with living elsewhere - and then annoy the locals by complaining because they don't have the amenities California has.

And by the way, agriculture is another area that we kick your butts.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

I have come to terms with it. I am thrilled at the thought that people might move out of California to "red" southern states ... actually, I'd be happy wherever they move, just as long as they go away ... and don't come back.

I hope 'y'all' are happy with your growth ... "growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell" -- Edward Abbey said it so well. Crazy growth has had a lousy impact on California, as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, I am quite sure that the nation's #1 economy will remain at least in the top 2 or 3 if not steadily at #1 for the long-term future. The agriculture will not go away ... the venture capital will not go away ... the silicon madness will not go away ... the leading educational institutions will never leave - or be surpassed ... the phenomenal level of culture and infrastructure that make California one of the most envied places in the world to live will not leave. The Sierras will not leave. The redwood forests. The deserts are determined to stay. The coastlines and ports will remain.

*sigh* California is doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California