Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, CA had a fiscal crisis when the economy was growing. They always spend more than they have and used smoke and mirrors to hide what they were doing, from, well, .... no one as we all knew. Trouble is the "people" kept voting the same people back again and again and again ...

Isn't one definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
No. When the economy was growing there was no fiscal crisis.
And spending more than they have can be said of all governments and businesses that are expanding to meet growth.
It's called investment. It's how the United States got its interstate highways, for one example.
It is, in fact, the only way that money is now created under our fractional reserve central banking system.
"Money" is issued by banks as credit to meet new debt -- with only a fraction of actual reserve to back it up.
Then the bankers charge interest on their "money from nothing".
There is not enough actual "money" in existence to pay for all the world's current debt.
The only way to pay past debt is by incurring ever more new, greater debt in a cycle of endless growth.

There is no way to pay down the past debt -- except through new borrowing.
The trick for government is to figure out how to foster endless business and commerce to take on the endless debt cycle and generate tax revenue to pay down the government debt. This is a rather Pollyanna strategy, of course. And businesses continue to fight the tax burden foisted on them, all the while shouting that government debt is too high and government must cut expenses. But when / if government cuts much expense, commerce always suffers. It is a Catch-22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No. No loss of memory here at all. Convenient lapse for you.
You buddy did a lousy job of defending himself. He was a laughing stock on this forum. Including in the thread in which you fell out of sorts with me. You and he together ranted on and on about things that weren't even topical. I was not the only one to point it out. In fact there were several others who made note. And you both were entirely corrected ... and ytg suddenly had no more responses when I and others pointed out the fallacies of his ramblings.

Yes, clueless and bitter is a sad way to go through life.
I'd suggest you re-read my posts -- and then yours in the past half year -- but you only see what you want to see, of course.The other poster earlier today was on to something when he asked you what had changed you so much to your current negativity and anger.

Now, back to topic?
No. You will need the last word and insult ... so, be my guest.
Really? Yaaaaaawn

Now back on topic? LMFAO!

Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned To The Mist OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube

Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
Default Illegal Immigration IT IS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
So I was just going over this BLS document...

[URL]http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/metro.pdf[/URL]

and it seems that even though alot of the areas in California are now adding alot of jobs it continues to have one of the worst unemployment situations in the whole entire nation.

Why is that? Immigration??
The fall of California is definitely due to the increase and overwhelming number of illegal immigrants living, feeding, eating and working off the entire state. I just found out today that illegal immigrants are eligible to receive cash benefits through welfare. HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE? I have no clue. The majority of corporations are hiring illegals for work because they willingly accept lower pay. The families of the illegals only hire other illegals to work for their family owned and operated businesses. Time to get out this hellhole. Our govenment officials promote the life of the illegal by offering benefits, education and employment to these aliens and in the end, what we have is a state that is ran by immigrants. I'm sorry but they have literally ate us out of house and home. Thank you illegals for breaking our state. Eventually they will have nothing else to feed on and just maybe they will return home.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM

880 posts, read 1,412,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower75 View Post
The fall of California is definitely due to the increase and overwhelming number of illegal immigrants living, feeding, eating and working off the entire state. I just found out today that illegal immigrants are eligible to receive cash benefits through welfare. HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE? I have no clue. The majority of corporations are hiring illegals for work because they willingly accept lower pay. The families of the illegals only hire other illegals to work for their family owned and operated businesses. Time to get out this hellhole. Our govenment officials promote the life of the illegal by offering benefits, education and employment to these aliens and in the end, what we have is a state that is ran by immigrants. I'm sorry but they have literally ate us out of house and home. Thank you illegals for breaking our state. Eventually they will have nothing else to feed on and just maybe they will return home.
You mean we should re-name the State Northern Tijuana/Northern Baja?

The legislatures have no burden on them. They get elected, get goodies the populace does not and when their decision goes bad, who pays? Not them, just the tax payer.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,171,824 times
I'm sure your higher unemployment rate is a function of the higher proportion of younter, less skilled and less educated workers there (many of your immigrants fall into that category). That group has a higher unemployment rate nationwide. If you have more of them you have more unemployment. It's all about demographics.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM

345 posts, read 1,028,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower75 View Post
Not entirely true. Texas has a ton of illegals and is doing very well economically compared to most of the country. Illegals haven't destroyed California; they've actually contributed in many ways. I have sympathy for them (most are hard-working honest people just looking for work to feed their families) but they keep wages down in various professions and it's just crazy that millions and millions of undocumented people are able to cross our borders. But the problem is too far gone now, we have to accept it. When you hear about various crimes or an illegal drunk driver killing someone, that's when you know our federal government has failed miserably again. Luckily as I said, most are hard-working and honest people so it's not all bad like you make it out to be.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,549,689 times
California has lost 3.5-4 million citizens over the past two decades, and they've been replaced with illegal immigrants with substantially poorer education levels and other social maladies; the Democrats in sacramento are also to blame, have run the state into the ground for the past four decades.

Piles and piles of pointless regulations haven't helped either; the CEO of Carl's Jr., which also owns the Hardees chain, told the WSJ a few months ago that he can open a restaurant anywhere in Texas within six weeks from the time that a site is selected until opening day, as opposed to six-plus months in California.

Extrapolate that timeline to the thousands of entrepreneurs and corporations who'd love to launch a new business here but can't because of senseless and time-consuming permitting processes as well as rampant environmentalism (gasoline in Dallas is $.65/gallon cheaper than anywhere in California for starters), and there you have it.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,778,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Not entirely true. Texas has a ton of illegals and is doing very well economically compared to most of the country. Illegals haven't destroyed California; they've actually contributed in many ways. I have sympathy for them (most are hard-working honest people just looking for work to feed their families) but they keep wages down in various professions and it's just crazy that millions and millions of undocumented people are able to cross our borders. But the problem is too far gone now, we have to accept it. When you hear about various crimes or an illegal drunk driver killing someone, that's when you know our federal government has failed miserably again. Luckily as I said, most are hard-working and honest people so it's not all bad like you make it out to be.
Actually, CA has a lot more illegals than TX. The Hispanic population alone is much larger in CA than in TX. Our prisons are full of people who only speak Spanish. Our health care system has been destroyed by illegal immigrants, and poor people with no health insurance, a large percent of them not born here. Poor people make a lot more babies, than the middle class, and their children use a lot of subsidies. The population that is leaving CA, are the "givers" the people who work and pay taxes; the "takers" are the ones who keep coming in, and stay.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM

17,390 posts, read 11,927,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Exactly.

Funny how people have so quickly forgotten about the whole housing bubble/foreclosure crisis/criminal bank and mortgage issues of the past decade (or more) and then don't understand the fallout from it. It's the domino effect plain and simple.
Having lived through many housing bubbles in California through the years, that is not the reason for the unemployment problem right now. California always managed to bounce back. Sadly, years and years of progressive policies are the true job killers.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM

17,390 posts, read 11,927,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Except no, he's not right on. His post is full of holes.
1. he doesn't state how many new business open or move to California to offset the ones leaving
2. he doesn't state the nature of the businesses leaving, nor their revenue, nor employment levels
3. he doesn't match the above list of point #2 with stats of new companies and arrivals
4. he claims taxing the rich is driving them out of the state -- when it's not ... proof please (there is none ... the rich can afford to live wherever they want ... and they clearly want California as evidenced by the expensive coastal real estate remaining expensive)
5. he claims the reason for high California unemployment is businesses leaving and others deciding not to start up here -- which is nonsense: the entire reason for the high unemployment is the crash of the housing market ... this has been researched and written about endlessly
6. California lost jobs because of housing ... Texas gained because of numerous Federal and state subsidized reasons
7. he claims upper and middle class are "fleeing in large numbers" but provides no proof

And, he repetitively chants about white European ancestry peoples fleeing -- which after a few posts begins to paint a pretty clear picture of bigotry, wouldn't you say?
Bull. Complete bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California