Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Wouldnt that be awesome...

Hypersonic plane could fly from New York to Los Angeles in less than an hour - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Too bad their test went awry. I can't imagine the G forces involved.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, don't bother with your seat belts, you won't be able to move once the takeoff has commenced".

You would have to have harnesses for the deceleration too.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

"Ladies and Gentlemen, don't bother with your seat belts, you won't be able to move once the takeoff has commenced".

Taking off and landing from / onto aircraft-carrier decks is like that ... I've got stories ... I'll spare you
But who in their right mind wants to be 'closer' to NYC? Frightening thought! L.A. is bad enough!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM

596 posts, read 982,615 times
This reminds me of the X15 program from the 1960s: North American X-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Even IF this plane could eventually carry humans and take off from an airport under its own power, there are other problems that have to be considered. First of all the operational costs would be exponentially higher than other passenger aircraft (the Concorde couldn't even turn a profit). Also it would have to be able to slow down considerably as it approached its destination, in order to fit into the traffic flow of arrivals at that airport (the X15 returned to earth as a glider and landed on dry lake beds in the California desert (Edwards AFB) where it had the sky to itself. This is probably not an attractive option to most potential high-paying passengers). Finally, the passengers probably wouldn't even have windows to enjoy the view, due to the extreme heating caused by operating at those high speeds/altitudes.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
My tiny bladder would love the super short flight time (airplane bathrooms are the worst)! I say bring it on! OC to DC, please.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

lol Yes!

Even better! It would finally be like flying with the Blue Angels (which they won't let me do since I'm not a celebrity or a news correspondent).

Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Another case of the headline writer not having actually read the article!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Another case of the headline writer not having actually read the article!
Please explain.

The headline references the speed of the plane.

In the article (or actually the article referenced in the article), the speed of the plane is noted as:
Now, they face one of their toughest challenges yet: sustaining hypersonic flight — going five times the speed of sound or more — for more than a few minutes.

And the article also noted that:
While the WaveRider’s technology will probably first be used for military purposes, it could eventually lead to a revolution in civilian air travel.

It also says that:
...a team of aerospace engineers has been putting the finishing touches on a lightning-quick experimental aircraft designed to fly above the Pacific Ocean at 3,600 mph. A passenger aircraft traveling at that speed could fly from Los Angeles to New York in 46 minutes.

Where is the disconnect that you're referring to between the article and the article's headline? I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you didn't read the article.

P.S. No worries. It happens to all of us, especially pre-morning coffee.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 08-17-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Nothing in the article talks about commercial applications, except to say how unlikely and far off they are.

Yet the sexy headline that gets you reposted across social media all overthe internet gives the exact opposite impression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: