Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,648,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The only thing wrong with your figures are that the per capita tax burden is on the average income of $53K of income in CA and $54K in TX.
Thank you for your approval.

Quote:
and on that note even the poorest in TX have a much bigger house than Californians.
I think this would be a very difficult statement to substantiate, or to care about.

And would be fairly irrelevant, aside from the increase in utilities and crap to clean. We live in a 1200 sq ft home, by choice, kids are gone, we left our 2400 square foot home for this one, but, we did not build that home for size, we built it for living. 2x6 walls r36 walls r40 subfloor r40 overhead, 4bd. When your house is buried in snow all winter it is good to have lots of insulation. The big house on this ranch, the house I grew up in is 4200, 5bd. I could average those size, but to what point? A big house is just more crap to keep clean.

And yes, you are civil in this post, thank you.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM

40,933 posts, read 48,987,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Property taxes are higher in Texas,
Yes but our house prices are so much better that the actual amount out of pocket would be similar to less depending on when you bought a CA house.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,837,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes but our house prices are so much better that the actual amount out of pocket would be similar to less depending on when you bought a CA house.
Also depending on where. Don't let coastal prices skew your numbers.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,537,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Also depending on where. Don't let coastal prices skew your numbers.
Yeah, an apples to apples comparison - like a 275K house in Fresno vs. a 275K house in Lubbock might be more valid (as far as property taxes go).

Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thank you for your approval.

I think this would be a very difficult statement to substantiate, or to care about.

And would be fairly irrelevant, aside from the increase in utilities and crap to clean. We live in a 1200 sq ft home, by choice, kids are gone, we left our 2400 square foot home for this one, but, we did not build that home for size, we built it for living. 2x6 walls r36 walls r40 subfloor r40 overhead, 4bd. When your house is buried in snow all winter it is good to have lots of insulation. The big house on this ranch, the house I grew up in is 4200, 5bd. I could average those size, but to what point? A big house is just more crap to keep clean.

And yes, you are civil in this post, thank you.
Your welcome

About the house size the real point is that in TX you can control your tax burden by the size of the house you buy. Here you don't get that type of financial freedom. We have a much higher tax burden here for those who make a decent income due to the progressive tax structure. That is why I had to throw out your 100K comparison.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,240,234 times
#2, 3, 4, 6, 7
Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine

Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,142,007 times
It is as plain as day to me many Texans on this forum, value money above all else. The same is true with a certain type of indoor shopping minded folks.... Heck if you want a big house, that means you like being inside.. One can be inside in many places cheaper than CA.

Instead of giving everyone 100 gallons of free gas, why not use that money to clean up the gulf of Mexico, or get that reched stench out of the air in east Texas..

I personally value the environment more than money. I am happy to sacrifice, to regulate companies, keep green spaces and so forth. Human expansion and endless economic growth is not the goal in my mind.

IMO California does a wonderful job with the balancing act..

This is about what one values is it not?

SW Texas is fine, but personally east Texas fits my definition of hell... The result of what happens when one sells their "soul" for the all mighty dollar.

Greed will destroy America, greed will be the ultimate cause for the extinction of our species.

More more,more, whine complain everybody wants more filthy money, so they can buy cheap plastic crap from Walmart to fill their oversized mcmansions....

Yep, ain't y'all proud to be Americans!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,648,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Your welcome

About the house size the real point is that in TX you can control your tax burden by the size of the house you buy. Here you don't get that type of financial freedom. We have a much higher tax burden here for those who make a decent income due to the progressive tax structure. That is why I had to throw out your 100K comparison.
Taxfoundation.org

It does appear that the Texas cheerleaders here are fixated on taxes and homeprices, aside from the quibble on reservoirs vs lakes.

Ben Franklin said, "Nothing is certain but death and taxes" They both happen, and life goes on. Compared to most modern industrial countries, California and Texas tax rates are low. One must consider I suppose, what the state does for one.

Texas spends the great part of its budget on healthcare followed by education followed by pensions.

California spends the great part of its budget on healthcare followed by education followed by pensions.

They spend money on roughly the same stuff. A more accurate comparison of the states, rather than taxes would be the quality of the state healthcare and education programs. Remember, not the best medical care,,, but, the programs the state is spending taxpayer money on.

I recount the story of the folks I met last summer who had relocated here from an affluent suburb of Dallas, with what they termed one of the best elementary schools in the state, they were concerned that their children would suffer in the California school system.

I ran into them in November when the confessed to me that their children were in danger of failing as they were so far behind the kids in the local elementary school, a school by the way with a fair percentage of non native english speakers. That is a euphemism for .. you know.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM

40,933 posts, read 48,987,706 times
How did we get from a whale to criticizing other states ? Makes me wonder about the OP.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How did we get from a whale to criticizing other states ? Makes me wonder about the OP.
That you would wonder makes me wonder about you ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California