Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
News flash! You didn't build them!
Don't tell me you buy into the O'Reilly Hannity Limbaugh Romney Ryan purposefully distorting the Presidents words. I believe you to be more intelligent than that.

TV, equating the Texas Hill country and Possum Kingdom Reservoir with Lake Tahoe and Big Sur, staggers the mind.

Those are cute places, like the Santa Ynez Valley or Marin County, but, spectacular? nah. Few people travel across this great nation to visit a reservoir or a hill in Texas.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Don't tell me you buy into the O'Reilly Hannity Limbaugh Romney Ryan purposefully distorting the Presidents words. I believe you to be more intelligent than that.

TVC15, equating the Texas Hill country and Possum Kingdom Reservoir with Lake Tahoe and Big Sur, staggers the mind.

Those are cute places, like the Santa Ynez Valley or Marin County, but, spectacular? nah. Few people travel across this great nation to visit a reservoir or a hill in Texas.
What Where did I equate the Texas Hill Country and Possum Kingdom Lake with Lake Tahoe and Big Sur?....I agree that would be mind staggering. BTW the word I used was beautiful not spectacular or staggering. And thank goodness that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

My point was that I have been communing with nature ever since I was old enough to understand what nature was. It might not be as grand as Big Sur or Lake Tahoe but all I can say to that is... Really? If that is the pettiness you want to dwell in then go for it...it won't take away from what I experienced there

I can assure you that all of my summers in the Kentucky Mountains as a young one were just as impressionable as Big Sur and Lake Tahoe.

I am lucky to live right beside Crystal Springs Reservoir and the San Andreas Lake. I hike and bike there 3 to 4 times a week.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I earned it and yes I want to keep it. No one gave it to me nor did I cheat steal or lie to get it. I know you live off of the governments' money and it is difficult for you to grasp why anyone would want to keep their own hard earned money so they can take care of themselves and their family.

I don't want to be working until I am 80 so hell yes I want to keep my hard earned money to do with it what I want.

That is what personal freedom is about. Freedom to do what I want with my money not what the governement or what you want me to do with it.

I don't care about other people’s money. Frankly it is none of mine or your business what others do with their money. As long as they earn it honestly and without stealing it from me or others...I don't care.
I can't imagine being caught up with what other people make and do with their money.

Get a life is all I can suggest.
Ok! Finally you came out and said it! Great! I am lmao You have been hinting around for a while about how "some people" live off the government teat. Now you have finally come out and applied it to me openly.

Now, I'd guess you are not yet 30, single, no kids, never done a lick of service either. And you criticize "greed" in others but you want to keep more for yourself and you distain people "living off the government's money". Got it.

Do you know what I get that government compensation for?
Do you know how many years I didn't take it when I could have?
Do you have the slightest idea what kind of life I have led -- that I should need to "get a life" as defined by the likes of yourself?

Here, I just wrote this out for another poster on another thread who made a similar judgement:
Quote:
Ah yes, "mine". Perhaps you missed it in other posts. Do you know what "mine" I have?
Eight months of the year I live in a 10' box van (smallest size stand-up). It is a '95 military van. 160,000 + miles. Made a dandy liveaboard camper out of it myself.
About four months of the year I live on a 44-year-old 24' sailboat. 4' overhead ... when I want to stand up inside I have to open the hatch.

I do have a fat net worth and some properties, including six rental units. But I donate three of the units to disabled and unemployed during these trying times. The income from the other units pays for the properties and upkeep.

I live on a military disability pension of just under $3000 a month, earned from service in Vietnam where I picked up body parts, among other duties ... and where I was involved in 6 crash landings of my assigned aircraft due to damage from enemy engagement, including 2 pilots and another crew killed.

I support 3.5 people on that little check, plus a $1000 monthly Social Security pension, including another profoundly disabled person. I worked self-employed for 28 years when I could have drawn the VA compensation since 1968, but I didn't. Part of that time I ran my own businesses, including paying taxes and benefits for over a dozen employees.

Know how I got a sh*tpot of other money? I didn't expect or even want any of it. Some I was left by insurance and estates of several people I nursed through terminal illness -- including my teenage sweetheart 1st wife who also left me 4 children to finish raising. Other big chunks came from me winning a settlement from being hit by a drunk driver while I was riding my bicycle.

All told, I live with having rehabilitated for years each of three separate life-threatening experiences involving many broken bones, multiple surgeries, hundreds of stitches reassembling my face twice, extensive dental rebuilds (ask .highnlite how long it takes me to eat a simple bowl of salad), limited use of one arm, two different types of episodic seizure afflictions, and substantial deafness. Bonus: I get to use a service dog.

Yet I look great! Going to Hollywood! I have rebuilt myself beyond doctors' expectations.

Point being: I put my money in real estate, rather than live high-falutin' off it ... and then I donate the roof overhead as much as I can to help out some other folks who have been handed a beat-down and not been compensated as I have been.

The "mine" I've got is happiness and satisfaction living a minimalist's camping life while helping others along the way. I continue to volunteer assistance to various disabled in legal and financial and medical matters. One does not need material wealth to feel rich and healthy and love life.

You have a good day sir, accumulating "yours". Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy "mine" without it costing so much to get.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
What Where did I equate the Texas Hill Country and Possum Kingdom Lake with Lake Tahoe and Big Sur?....I agree that would be mind staggering. BTW the word I used was beautiful not spectacular or staggering. And thank goodness that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

My point was that I have been communing with nature ever since I was old enough to understand what nature was. It might not be as grand as Big Sur or Lake Tahoe but all I can say to that is... Really? If that is the pettiness you want to dwell in then go for it...it won't take away from what I experienced there

I can assure you that all of my summers in the Kentucky Mountains as a young one were just as impressionable as Big Sur and Lake Tahoe.

I am lucky to live right beside Crystal Springs Reservoir and the San Andreas Lake. I hike and bike there 3 to 4 times a week.

My point has been, what is available for public use. Less than two million acres in Texas, 50 million acres in Ca. That CA is, in addition well blessed with wild land, also spectacular is a bonus. There are only two places in Texas with sufficient wild land to sustain a several day back pack trip, whereas in CA there are thousands of miles of trails in millions of acres of wild land.

I understand that there are those who prefer the east, but for many of us, the ability to walk or ride our ponies off into a million acre wilderness makes life, life.

That to me is worth more that dollars, as I mentioned, I moved here from a low tax state upon retirement. I don't feel a pinch from the state of CA at all, and in fact I think those who complain about the financial state of California need to get out and about, do stuff, have a life.

Texas is larger than CA, yet has a third as many state parks, very few national parks or forests, that tells me what is important to Texans, and I find that sad.

Course Texans over run New Mexico and Colorado every chance they get, they are not much appreciated in those states.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
My point has been, what is available for public use. Less than two million acres in Texas, 50 million acres in Ca. That CA is, in addition well blessed with wild land, also spectacular is a bonus. There are only two places in Texas with sufficient wild land to sustain a several day back pack trip, whereas in CA there are thousands of miles of trails in millions of acres of wild land.

I understand that there are those who prefer the east, but for many of us, the ability to walk or ride our ponies off into a million acre wilderness makes life, life.

That to me is worth more that dollars, as I mentioned, I moved here from a low tax state upon retirement. I don't feel a pinch from the state of CA at all, and in fact I think those who complain about the financial state of California need to get out and about, do stuff, have a life.

Texas is larger than CA, yet has a third as many state parks, very few national parks or forests, that tells me what is important to Texans, and I find that sad.

Course Texans over run New Mexico and Colorado every chance they get, they are not much appreciated in those states.
Que Sera Sera whatever and to each his own I am not into pettiness.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Now, I'd guess you are not yet 30, single, no kids, never done a lick of service either. And you criticize "greed" in others but you want to keep more for yourself and you distain people "living off the government's money". Got it.
Now I am LMAO!!!! Your guess is way off! OMG how funny you are when you are not trying to be.

Your scenario is not quite the accurate picture of me Nice try.... LMFAO!

Nope you don't got it.

I pay my very fair share in taxes. And yes I want to keep what I make and not have to see my taxes increase! Yes that is right on! But the rest of your accusations are way wrong.

I only have disdain for those who live off of the system by way of cheating and lies. I also have disdain for those who have allowed this to happen.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Now I am LMAO!!!! Your guess is way off! OMG how funny you are when you are not trying to be.

Your scenario is not quite the accurate picture of me Nice try.... LMFAO!

Nope you don't got it.

I pay my very fair share in taxes. And yes I want to keep what I make and not have to see my taxes increase! Yes that is right on! But the rest of your accusations are way wrong.

I only have disdain for those who live off of the system by way of cheating and lies. I also have disdain for those who have allowed this to happen.
No, I don't think I am off at all.
And you expressed disdain for me "living off the government". Think I didn't earn the little I get? Think I "cheated and lied"?
And I never said anything about you paying taxes or how much.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Because I love the nature.

But more importantly I love being able to help the CA medical community come up to speed with the Texas Medical Center...they pay me the big bucks for that! Anyone receiving medical attention here in CA should be thankful for that as well.

I will be there again once I retire from here But since that is a far off in the distance I can't say for sure where I will be. However if things are the way they are in CA today when I retire...I will be leaving but where I just can't say...the world economy is a changing.

Oh and before you go where I predict you will...let me just say that CA has to pay my profession more due to the much higher cost of living here. No one with my talent would dare come here without a much higher pay. I also am paid well in Houston for what I do. So CA's high cost of living is not good for higher professional jobs due to the much higher salary that must be paid to attract these people.
Your altruism is overwhelming. I'm sure all of California is touched and thankful that TVC from Texas has come to lift California out of the wilderness of primitivism where no Californian could possibly have the intellect and wisdom.

But still, as I have said several times: you praise Texas, say you can earn as well there, denigrate California continuously -- and yet you are here, ostensibly, you say, "because of the nature" ... funny you are not willing to pay for that. If it is so much better than Texas that you are willing to suffer the taxation and political foolishness and illegals and welfare levels and cheats -- then, umm, do you think maybe you have hit on the fact that California is preferable to Texas? And therefore costs more? I mean one doesn't get to buy a Mercedes for the price of a Hyundai.

But more curiously, you still haven't answered the question I put to you a couple times before:
If you love California so much, what do you think would happen to the state if all your visions came true? Let's say TVC's plan for California to be run like Texas came to pass. Let's say there were no income taxes and other taxes were also low ... let's say there was very little in the way of regulations and bureaucratic red-tape for businesses ... let's say the welfare recipients were cut to a small fraction at best ... let's say the illegals were rounded up like the cattle they are and dumped back across the border.

What would follow, TVC?

Prosperity! Of course! And with it millions and millions and millions more people and businesses! How exciting! Who wouldn't want to live in California then? For the "the nature" ... for the weather ... the culture ... the -- well, you get it.

And where would they all want to live? And what would happen to the real estate availability and prices of those areas? And where would the electricity come from? How about the water? What about the traffic? How would you enjoy all those wonderful motorcycle rides along the roads, clogged day and night?

Etc.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
And I never said anything about you paying taxes or how much.
Really...recall this? Your statement is a Big Fat Lie for sure!
Quote:
And yet what you want is less tax so you can keep more money for yourself ...
Quote:
And you expressed disdain for me "living off the government". Think I didn't earn the little I get? Think I "cheated and lied"?And you expressed disdain for me "living off the government". Think I didn't earn the little I get? Think I "cheated and lied"?
Show me where I expressed disdain for you living off of the government...be my guest

Show me where I said that you cheated and lied. I can't read behind the screen as you think you can...so I have no idea if you cheated and lied to live off of the government. I don't make assumptions

Quote:
No, I don't think I am off at all.
Ahhh of course not but you are.

Quote:
Now, I'd guess you are not yet 30
Really? Yes I know that I look very young but I have been there and done that and am in my late 40's

Quote:
single
Nope found my soul mate 10 years ago!

Quote:
no kids
Bingo! But by choice. My soul mate has 3 and one grandchild and I helped to raise them all.

Quote:
never done a lick of service either
Very ignorant assumption and very wrong again.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Your altruism is overwhelming. I'm sure all of California is touched and thankful that TVC from Texas has come to lift California out of the wilderness of primitivism where no Californian could possibly have the intellect and wisdom.

But still, as I have said several times: you praise Texas, say you can earn as well there, denigrate California continuously -- and yet you are here, ostensibly, you say, "because of the nature" ... funny you are not willing to pay for that. If it is so much better than Texas that you are willing to suffer the taxation and political foolishness and illegals and welfare levels and cheats -- then, umm, do you think maybe you have hit on the fact that California is preferable to Texas? And therefore costs more? I mean one doesn't get to buy a Mercedes for the price of a Hyundai.

But more curiously, you still haven't answered the question I put to you a couple times before:
If you love California so much, what do you think would happen to the state if all your visions came true? Let's say TVC's plan for California to be run like Texas came to pass. Let's say there were no income taxes and other taxes were also low ... let's say there was very little in the way of regulations and bureaucratic red-tape for businesses ... let's say the welfare recipients were cut to a small fraction at best ... let's say the illegals were rounded up like the cattle they are and dumped back across the border.

What would follow, TVC?

Prosperity! Of course! And with it millions and millions and millions more people and businesses! How exciting! Who wouldn't want to live in California then? For the "the nature" ... for the weather ... the culture ... the -- well, you get it.

And where would they all want to live? And what would happen to the real estate availability and prices of those areas? And where would the electricity come from? How about the water? What about the traffic? How would you enjoy all those wonderful motorcycle rides along the roads, clogged day and night?

Etc.
Take your meds your are starting to foam at the mouth and sound a bit...well we all know what you sound like when you start to foam at the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California