U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

21 posts, read 46,864 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a Family Physician looking to relocate. I have considered: South, Southwest, and the West. Pretty much anywhere that doesn't get too cold. Please, if any of you have any keen insight on relocation with a welcoming community I would be very appreciative. I am currently in the Midwest and grew up in the Midwest. I am getting very tired of the brutal winters here. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,576,041 times
Hawaii.

Aloha.

Seriously.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,883,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckDO View Post
Hello, I am a Family Physician looking to relocate. I have considered: South, Southwest, and the West. Pretty much anywhere that doesn't get too cold. Please, if any of you have any keen insight on relocation with a welcoming community I would be very appreciative. I am currently in the Midwest and grew up in the Midwest. I am getting very tired of the brutal winters here. Thanks!
If you want something that looks like Kansas, try the Central Valley (San Joaquin or Sacramento vallies) where it doesn't snow and the cost of living is less than the coastal areas.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM

3,050 posts, read 3,796,504 times
I have a brother in the Lancaster/Palmdale area north of Los Angeles and he tells me that they're hiring lots of doctors out there. This area is an hour north of L.A. in L.A. County and is relatively affordable. The west side of California Highway 14 is the most desirable in the 93536 and 93551 zip codes. An area that is adjacent to there is Acton, (zip 93510) in the San Gabriel Mountains between Palmdale and Santa Clarita, is very desirable! It is predominantly ranch homes, but very beautiful and an easy commute to Palmdale or down into L.A.

If you have a family, the Palmdale/Lancaster area or the Acton area is great! An hour from the beach in Santa Monica, an hour from L.A., 45 minutes from Universal Studios, an hour and a half from Orange County and Disneyland, three hours from Las Vegas, three hours from San Diego, an hour and a half from Ventura beach, two hours from Santa Barbara, five hours from skiing at Mammoth Mountain, two hours from Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake resorts, seven hours to the Grand Canyon in AZ, etc.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM

434 posts, read 764,202 times
Lancaster and Palmdale? Not on my list of desirable places. Hot, windy crummy look to the area. High desert living.

Find something closer to the coast.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 28,996,558 times
And this is why CA has 40 million people and KS is fly-over country. Always wonder how folks like you and your ancestors put up with it this long.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 AM

42,047 posts, read 37,975,754 times
Been there done that. Do you want something that resembles Kansas or as far from it as possible? Cause we got both and every flavor in between.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,149,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And this is why CA has 40 million people and KS is fly-over country. Always wonder how folks like you and your ancestors put up with it this long.
Haha I was there a few years ago for the first time. There were beautiful homes in the small towns. Buy that is about it. There are no theme parks or museums or anything to keep someone young like me entertained. I couldn't live there. It's already been stated but you should have no problem finding an area you like as this state has a little bit of everything.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM

8,262 posts, read 17,306,607 times
Quote:
Hey Doc. Google San Luis Obispo County. Osteopaths are needed. Good luck!
Danny M. RN MSN MICN

Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 AM

16,415 posts, read 19,832,652 times
Quote:
Perhaps you will love the Monterey/Santa Cruz areas.

Do a search, there are many threads about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California