Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 123,553 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Due to various reasons, I was negligent in registering my vehicle in CA within the 20 day period of moving here a few years ago. My main office was based in CA the whole time, but I was on out-of-state travel often and infrequently used my car while in CA. I remained a legal resident in my east coast home state through 2010, until I filed taxes as a CA resident in 2011 since I stopped travelling home as often. Note, I maintained my home state car registration during this whole time.

A few weeks ago, I went to the local DMV to get my driver's license and car registered in CA. I was given bad advice to be dishonest on the registration form dates as to when I first worked/operated in CA since I was told there would be substatial fines that go along with it being years late. The DMV folks didn't seem to question the dates at all when I was at the local DMV which was a real surprise.

As it turns out, my registration materials were recently returned since I had forgotten to sign the registration form while at the DMV. When I read the signature part, I saw that providing false information on the form was under conviction of perjury (gasp!).

So my question is, is it possible to rectify the situation at the local DMV, pay the late registration fines, and carry on without other charges being pressed by the authorities since I never signed the form? It would definitely provide a cleaner conscious, but I am unsure of the additional criminal charges that may be pressed if I resubmit with different dates. Is it safe to call the DMV and ask for advice on how they think I should proceed?

Just to be devil's adovcate, on the other hand would it be worth the risk to return the form with my signature, knowing that the dates are incorrect, since it made it through the local office already? I assume this is a poor idea, but I don't know how much investigation into the dates is performed at the DMV state level. My primary concern is that it would be readily obvious that my start work (and declaration of residency) are years prior to the 2012 "start work, became a resident" date I used on the form if they spend any time to check my taxes. How many cases have you heard of people getting in trouble for this?

I have a clean record, and obviously feel bad about this whole process, but I just want out of this situation the cleanest way possible.

Thanks for your comments!
-h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Just sign the darn thing and mail it in!!! Seriously. Just sign it.

You are taking this waaaaayyyy to seriously.

But im sure someone here will tell you to do the right thing and stab yourself.

They are going to come after you if you provide a fake name, fake VIN, stolen car, have warrants and try to hide them by manipulating the app. If the FBI and CIA come to your door with guns and helicopters, casually tell them the car was not operable so you didnt re-register it. Have a bowl of Cereal and spoon in your hand and slippers on your feet for an added touch of authenticity.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb13 View Post
So my question is, is it possible to rectify the situation at the local DMV, pay the late registration fines, and carry on without other charges being pressed by the authorities since I never signed the form?
Yes

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
No one at DMV has the authority to check your taxes, or anything beyond the scope of the application you are turning in. If your application looks too shaky, it will be sent up to Headquarters for further review, and you'll get a letter giving you an opportunity to correct your mistakes. Otherwise, provide an honest purchase price (those do get checked) and don't worry about it.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone! I guess my main concern is if they actually check your residency status when submitting the paperwork.

Has anyone here registered a car late claiming non-residency while already CA resident at the time?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
We registered both our cars months late, all the DMV cares about is getting your registration fee. They really don't care about what happened before.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Will the DMV check my work records / residency records though? I'm concerned about it raising a flag it I just continue with the process.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
No one at DMV has the authority to check your taxes, or anything beyond the scope of the application you are turning in. If your application looks too shaky, it will be sent up to Headquarters for further review, and you'll get a letter giving you an opportunity to correct your mistakes. Otherwise, provide an honest purchase price (those do get checked) and don't worry about it.
Thanks for the advice. Have you heard first-hand of someone given the chance to correct the form? I assume penalties would still apply once you provided the later dates, but would be more concerned about criminal charges for having them wrong in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California