Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Time to slash pensions for both current and future retirees?
Yes, time to slash and burn to save the state 35 66.04%
No, keep up this charade for as long as possible 18 33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess this slipped by you but the tax payers include those of us who worked for the government so to an extent, we payed ourselves and were taxed going-in and are taxed taking-out. But by all means, don't let me interject reason into your bias.
You paid yourself with money you were paid by the taxpayer. Don't get me wrong, I do some government contract work. Just because they government is paying your salary doesn't mean you aren't working for it. Public servants, not public slaves. Servants are paid.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You paid yourself with money you were paid by the taxpayer...
...including myself so your argument is pretty baseless and offered only to be inflamatory and dismissive.

G'day!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Difference is, I now work for myself, so instead of having many a'hole bosses, I have one to deal with: lil ole me.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Like it or not, there may not be a choice, especially for future retireees, just like the feds and yes, even SS. I am not sure about slashing the pentions of those already on SS but certainly in the future...
I think the problem is that the government will take from the retirees and only spend and waste it all. Then when they're finished raiding the pensions of the retirees, where will they head for their next raid?

They need to cut spending across the board and that is what they're refusing to do.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the problem is that the government will take from the retirees and only spend and waste it all. Then when they're finished raiding the pensions of the retirees, where will they head for their next raid?

They need to cut spending across the board and that is what they're refusing to do.
They raided SSI years ago. Now all there is our IOU's in the SSI fund, plus some current revenue,

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They raided SSI years ago. Now all there is our IOU's in the SSI fund, plus some current revenue,
SSI has by law been invested in federal treasuries for decades upon decades. That's a completely separate issue than the fact that SSI will be insolvent and unable to make payments before someone born today could legally have a drink in a bar. It's a pay-go system, anyway, not a vested one. What you pay into it was never intended to be saved in some sort of escrow account for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
SSI has by law been invested in federal treasuries for decades upon decades. That's a completely separate issue than the fact that SSI will be insolvent and unable to make payments before someone born today could legally have a drink in a bar. It's a pay-go system, anyway, not a vested one. What you pay into it was never intended to be saved in some sort of escrow account for you.
Uh, investing in treasuries was by taking the cash out of the fund and spending it. Now to pay retirees we have to take tax money NOW to buy back the treasuries for SSI. The Treasury notes are IOU's.

It also is not a pay go system. It was set up and still is a pay now for current retirees and hope there is enough working people when you retire to pay your SSI.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM

635 posts, read 539,496 times
I'm not a huge fan of reneging on existing contracts - and only the federal government is allowed to do that unfettered. State and local governments will have to tread carefully.

I'd rather see us cut welfare spending dramatically, before cutting salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California