U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,851,786 times

Advertisements

With so much sunshine in CA, you'd think most people would be happier on the CA board than on other state boards due to increased vitamin D, lack of SAD, being outside vs. inside on a computer (so less CA people online), etc., yet there seems to be an unusually high number of argumentative and/or just plain nasty people on the CA board compared to other city/state boards. That is very shocking to me.

I'm not starting this for it to turn into a tomato fight (so, no personal attacks towards anyone specifically on the board), I'm simply asking from a purely analytical perspective because psychology is a big topic in my family, so these are just things I think about.

1. People of CA, why do you think there are so many argumentative people on the CA board compared to other city boards? Economy troubles, perhaps (that can certainly be stressful)? Increased number of tech jobs in CA so more people are online 9-5? The fact that CA is so large so it just seems like there are more argumentative people on the CA board, but really the ratio is in keeping with the population? Another reason?

2. Do you think CA residents in real life are happier than those you encounter on C-D? I know that for my current city (Mid-Atlantic now, but CA soon), that the portion of people on C-D are more "Debbie Downers" than the people I know in real life in this city, so, to me, the people you meet on C-D aren't an accurate representation of the people you'd meet in real life in my Mid-Atlantic city (I'm glad I know that because if C-D was my only source of what people are like in my current city, I'd have serious reservations about moving here). What are your thoughts about that same topic as it relates to CA?

I'd be surprised if many, if any, people have enough thought about this topic other than myself, but if you have an opinion, I'm interested to hear it. Please keep responses in line with C-D's TOS. Thank you.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 08-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM

13,997 posts, read 25,814,818 times
1. Argumentative people - Probably has a bit to do with me allowing folks to have quite a bit of range in discussions. If I really tightened it up, concerning being off topic, we likely could get rid of a lot of the arguing.

2. Happier or not - I'd say average for the comprehensive forum. Heck, folks even get into arguments in the Pets or Music Forums...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
1. Argumentative people - Probably has a bit to do with me allowing folks to have quite a bit of range in discussions. If I really tightened it up, concerning being off topic, we likely could get rid of a lot of the arguing.

2. Happier or not - I'd say average for the comprehensive forum. Heck, folks even get into arguments in the Pets or Music Forums...
I personally like that the CA forums allow leeway in discussions because conversation is naturally organic, so to stifle it too much can oppress great mental exploration that would otherwise be missed. I think that you and the other moderators do a fine job (especially compared to other boards that seem to shut down every other thread, some say the mods on those boards play favorites, etc - you never hear that here on these boards, so that says a lot to me). I know I certainly would be nearly as good at it. And the mods especially on the CA state and city boards have a lot of work on their hands just due to the volume they have since CA is such a large state. I personally don't know how you remain sane. lol

I suppose this topic is also on the forefront of my mind, since I will soon be returning to CA. Friends that are still in CA have told me how much it's changed since I last lived there. So, I was curious if the folks on C-D are any indication of the mood on the CA streets these days, and if so, why? It can't be the lack of sunshine.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM

13,997 posts, read 25,814,818 times
Regarding mood on the streets I would argue that there really is no such thing.

You have a very polarized sentiment right now, stuff like education, taxes, spending, support programs etc. However, this is really a huge national problem and you just see some of the issues reflected in California.

Overall, you can find a lot of grumbling in Ohio, NY or Florida right now too. I have friends and relatives in many places throughout the country, and can tell you the tension is at a very high level nationally. So you just see some reflection in California too.

A rough economy and personal unhappiness with perceived lack of opportunity goes a long way in creating discontent. Add in the expectations that many had/have of government programs that may not be able to fulfill their prior promises, and the discontent expands.

This isn't just in California though, but you may see a bit more of it out here due to the rather high level of previous public expenditures.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM

16,801 posts, read 37,677,596 times
California is the big influential kid on the block, therefore it attracts negative attention from those in more blighted, boring areas.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,522,905 times
I can't say how others are feeling. I can tell you I am very happy and most people that I meet are happy as well. Most of the people that I know do not spend a bit of time on City Data Forum. The fact is that most have no idea what we are doing here. This is a big state with lots of people and I have only met one person that is a CD member. Funny thing is he was asking about the area because he was going to work for the hospital where I work. Maybe what you have is a lot of people that have no outside life and they have nothing else to do but complain. LOL. Who knows for sure. I for one don't spend that much time on CDF as I should being a Moderator and all. I have an outside life that takes a lot of my time. For me going to the beach is a big part of life. That is not the case with most of the people in the state. I know that people think everyone in California visits the beach all the time soaking in the sun. Most of the people in the state don't live anywhere near the ocean. For me, I can walk or ride my bike to the beach. I like riding the waves as do my kids. Recently we have gotten into Paddle boarding. That is very cool. Outdoors are a big part of life for my family and many other families. Still I would say that maybe 98% of the state does not live like we live.

I don't know about others but I for one am very happy to be here in California living the life.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 9,983,191 times
What NewToCA said.

When I first started participating on the California board I was somewhat amused -- in a shocked way -- at the amount of conservatism and negativity that seemed to dominate. I started a thread about it, as you have here, asking why, how come so much? I was surprised because my experience with California had always been overwhelmingly liberal ... that is the more common demographic to the place, as is well known and joked nationally.

It is the same reason that bad news sells newspapers -- and good news doesn't.

And that is why some of us like to poke back at the naysaying, chicken-little, grumpy-Gus's ... which poking back stimulates the rotten food-fights ... which NewToCA allows in the California lunchroom more than other state forums do in theirs.

Of course, this behavior often spills over into brawls in the schoolyard at recess.
And some people get thumped. But rarely without they ask for a good whupping

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM

As for paddle boarding (now I'm jealous ), I can't WAIT to be in CA so I can fill my days with such fun activities again!! (hence, my reason for being so perplexed by the grumpsters in CA - how can you be grumpy when you're in California?! )

Very good theories, so far. All different, but all equally accurate, I'd imagine.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM

4,182 posts, read 6,251,282 times
Quote:
I was surprised because my experience with California had always been overwhelmingly liberal ... that is the more common demographic to the place, as is well known and joked nationally.
The whiners and losers that show up on this forum are not representative of CA's population. They are a self-selected group. They sign up on CD because they have some sort of agenda or grievance about CA that they can't otherwise openly express in the outside world. So they express their grievances here. Those who are happy tend not to hang out on the CA forum. They're having too much fun outside, why would they come here to bit-h and moan about this beautiful state?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,666,494 times
1. I wouldn't use comments and diatribes posted on this forum as a measure of California native posters happiness.

2. Debate and argument is central to vibrant collection of thoughts and ideas. Challenging people's thought process is a messy business sometimes.

3. My guess is some of the happiest people on this board are those that freely express their sometimes vitriolic opinions.

4. Some of us just enjoy watching others getting wonky and like to poke at the fire.

5. Being the largest state in the union I would find this forum boring if all the threads were about the landscape, attractions and living arrangements. I get enough of that everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California