Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

Though it's the first time I've heard it used, actually anyone familiar with both Cali (yeah, I know) and New York State (where I'm originally from) will recognize the aptness of "Upstate" California, aka, a descriptor for a more out of the way and less-populated part of the state, in contrast with the better-known and more urban parts (like NYC). And it's certainly less vague than say, the much more commonly used NorCal or the North State.

In any case, IMO it's still a remarkable area that remains a relatively undiscovered treasure of terrific weather, clean air, spectacular natural beauty, low cost of living, slower pace, much less crime, affordable housing and scenic uncrowded highways. Although even in an upbeat economy, there is always the little matter of how to survive in a relatively isolated region with chronically high unemployment and low wages! And ah yes, the "culture"... that's kind of an "acquired" taste (and a topic of its own)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM

65 posts, read 218,905 times
NorCal is beautiful,i live in the Willits area now. Just moved here from the great state of Alaska to thaw out a bit..

we have family near and love all the warm sunshine ~ small town living at its best nothing around but thats the way we like it.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Without parsing terms, NorCal is simply beautiful; far more so than most of SoCal in my estimation. It contains a rugged, scenic coastline, redwoods, some quaint towns and villages, and some delightfully independent people, many of whom are as rugged as the topography. Much of it is economically depressed but you can't beat the seafood or the natural wonders.
Very true indeed!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
This is a term i actually just learned existed however it refers i believe to the rest of california north of the Bay Area region and sacramento.

What is is like there? Would it compare more to the pacific north-west or the bay area or is it quite unique in itself? Who do upstate californians more identify with?
I believe upstate California is called Oregon.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What exactly is an Ox nard?
highnlite,

I believe an ox nard is an ox that stares at a computer.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And it's certainly less vague than say, the much more commonly used NorCal or the North State.

In any case, IMO it's still a remarkable area that remains a relatively undiscovered treasure of terrific weather, clean air, spectacular natural beauty, low cost of living, slower pace, much less crime, affordable housing and scenic uncrowded highways. Although even in an upbeat economy, there is always the little matter of how to survive in a relatively isolated region with chronically high unemployment and low wages! And ah yes, the "culture"... that's kind of an "acquired" taste (and a topic of its own)!

We spent 2-3 days in Ft. Bragg and Mendocino. Drove through Lucerne (Clear Lake) and Willits.
On the way back we drove highway 1 and 128: Mendocino to Cloverdale.

Did some sea kayaking in Mendocino Cove through the caves and kelp beds. Hiked Redwood trails near the Noyo and Navarro Rivers. Spectacular!

Lots of friendly folk in Ft. Bragg. AND.....

NOBODY CALLS IT "upstate" California. I actually asked several people from A Shop owner in a surf shop and an art gallery owner. A guy and girl who were in their 20's - born and raised in Ft. Bragg. A surfer in Ft. Bragg (Pudding Creek Beach). A middle aged waitress in Mendocino who was raised in Ft. Bragg. Two locals guys fishing from a cliff in Mendocino. They were all adamant it's called NOR*CAL OR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA! "never heard of upstate.......nothing...that sounds stupid"!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysheets View Post
NorCal is beautiful,i live in the Willits area now. Just moved here from the great state of Alaska to thaw out a bit..

we have family near and love all the warm sunshine ~ small town living at its best nothing around but thats the way we like it.
We drove highway 20 from Sac Valley into Willits. We did the skunk train from Ft. Bragg to Northspur, and while we were in Northspur the train from Willits was departing. It was a perfect day, warm and sunny along the Noyo River. NOR*CAL is beautiful, including the Willits area!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
I think I'm going to start using "upstate California". It seems to work. We've long needed a term to distinguish far northern California from the Sacramento and Bay Area metros. When I'm in SoCal, I'm always having to explain myself.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
highnlite,

I believe an ox nard is an ox that stares at a computer.
lol I love your recent posts. You're very amusing.

I can't rep. you again yet, but thumbs up on keeping C-D humorous and worth reading.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I believe upstate California is called Oregon.
AHAHA Just saw this one, too! Someone really needs to give you your own show. Great material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California