Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 48,464 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the general CA board because I'm note sure if this would be appropriate in the San Jose or San Francisco forums. My husband recently got an offer to work at google so we are considering relocating from Northern Virginia to CA. We have only been to CA twice so I really need your help.

What are the best areas to look at housing while working at google? I know there is a google shuttle but my husband hates commuting (we did it for 2 hours a day in NYC while going to college so there is a strong aversion) A commute of less than half hour by car or public transit would be great.

Where are the best schools? We have a daughter who is a junior in HS so this is probably the most important factor. We need to provide an academically challenging environment and very safe. We also have a 3 year old and a 10 month old so preschool is also important.

Ideally we would like to have play grounds, libraries, etc nearby because I work from home while taking care of the kids and I rely on these places to entertain them during the day.

For hobbies we like to run, bike and eat. Nothing out of the ordinary. I guess a small town with a nice
downtown area and good schools would be ideal.

We are not looking to buy as we don't know if we are going to like it. Our combined salary will probably be 150K.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM

36,637 posts, read 67,234,576 times
Google has its own shuttle bus network that covers most of the Bay Area's desirable residential areas, so you actually can expand your search to well beyond Mountain View and immediate areas.

On the other hand, many places in the Bay Area fit the bill as far as your requirements.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,285,010 times
I also am at one of those tech companies in that area but I work out of SF most of the time but have to go down there about once a week. If your husband hates commuting then my advice would be to live near the area if you can afford to. Those days I have to go down there, between gas and the freeways make me mad enough to punch babies. Check out Palo Alto, Menlo Park or Redwood City. Now these are just my best guesses as I really don't know that area well.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,686,944 times
Pretty much any city on the Peninsula would meet your needs

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM

264 posts, read 829,894 times
The best of the best schools are considered to be in Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos and likely certain schools in Mountain View (other cities up 280 too). Although, with an income of 150k and 2 kids full time in preschool (I presume full time) you likely won't find anything in your budget in these areas unless you are willing to look into 2 or 3 bedroom condos. The almaden area in San Jose has great schools, and I think that would be your best bet for finding a good size (3 or 4 bedroom) rental home. The commute to google may take a bit longer than 30 minutes though...more around 45 I think in traffic. Maybe others can chime in. Best thing is to do a Craigslist search to get an idea of how much rental homes cost in these cities. Unfortunately, 150k doesn't go very far in this area for a family of 5.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,140,575 times
Rent in PaloAlto

Ask where senior GOOG billionaires and countless wealthy rank-and-file engineers choose to reside as well as lots of poor Stanf grad students

Keep in mind nearly any cop or bus driver in SF region is paid >$100K/yr (much like NYC) but arguably COL on SF Peninsula is 40% cheaper than Manhattan....yet w/far better weather, far better public schools (in PA/Saratoga and elem in PV/Woodside), far shorter drives to office and incomparable fresh produce...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,015,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Rent in PaloAlto

Ask where senior GOOG billionaires and countless wealthy rank-and-file engineers choose to reside as well as lots of poor Stanf grad students

Keep in mind nearly any cop or bus driver in SF region is paid >$100K/yr (much like NYC) but arguably COL on SF Peninsula is 40% cheaper than Manhattan....yet w/far better weather, far better public schools (in PA/Saratoga and elem in PV/Woodside), far shorter drives to office and incomparable fresh produce...
Hmmm, a combined income of $150k and three kids and you suggest Palo Alto?

To the OP, I'd disregard that post. HSW is obsessed with Palo Alto and thinks the Bay Area completely revolves around it. I'd have to say that honestly, based on your income and having three kids, Palo Alto may be a bit out of your price range. There are plenty of other places along the peninsula and further south that offer what you're looking for. StandingRoomOnly's response was probably the best I've seen here. Of the areas he mentioned, Almaden Valley (zip code 95120) in San Jose would probably offer the most house for your money, along with great schools. The downside is a longer commute. The other cities mentioned offer an easier commute but are overall more expensive.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Hmmm, a combined income of $150k and three kids and you suggest Palo Alto?
Yeah that was amusing.

I think to live comfortably in that income range and get the best possible schools with relative proximity to the Googleplex, Fremont is the best bet.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,151,370 times
Between renting (no MID) and state income tax your take home is going to be pretty low. You sure you want to move from beautiful Northern Virginia? I wouldn't unless you're going to be making a lot more than you are now.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You sure you want to move from beautiful Northern Virginia?
They want an upgrade. I dont blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California