Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times

Advertisements

I don't know about right now, but 20 years ago, Oakdale was a nice, friendly town, with mostly good weather. Google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Fortuna average 177 sunny days, and 177 rainy days per year. Average is 48 inches of rain per year, and high of 69 in July and 40 in January. Cool year around, without getting real cold in winter. Forget about snow most years, then if snows gone in short matter of hours.
How, those are amazing statistics given that the Bay Area averages between 50 and 65 rainy days per year, and 260 to 320 sunny days per year. Although I assume that 40 degree temp in January is the low temp, not the high temp (just makes sense). What a difference a few hundred miles makes!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Check out Chico.
except for the hot summers, I was about to say the same thing. We just got back from spending 4 days in Chico. We have visited there many times as my step mom lived there from the time my dad passed away until she died a few weeks ago. Before dad died they lived in Paradise, which also is very nice. I had never really taken time to drive through some of the residentual areas of Chico until last week. If i were going to move back to CA (which I am not) Chico/Paradise would be my number once choice. Sure,there are some very cold, winter nights, but it isn't common and Chico has so much to offer. one more thing, I would not consider Fortuna if you really want sunshine. It is sunnier than say, Eureka but certainly not what is thought of as a sunny place to live. Santa Rosa is another thought, I think it has been suggested, but it might be more pricey..Of course what one person considers expensive housing someone else will say is Cheap!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Quote:
Although I assume that 40 degree temp in January is the low temp, not the high temp (just makes sense). What a difference a few hundred miles makes!
No, that is the average high. Stays fairly even day and night with some down to freezing nights. Was raised there, and can tell you cold wet days in the winter are the norm.

I also spent a lot of years in Cupertino and Saratoga, so know how much warmer and sunnier it is there.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
No, that is the average high. Stays fairly even day and night with some down to freezing nights. Was raised there, and can tell you cold wet days in the winter are the norm.
there.
I find that hard to believe. The weather data for nearby Scotia (couldn't find data for Fortuna) is 55/40 for January, the coldest month.

I can't imagine the difference between the two would be that different.

SCOTIA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,489,451 times
Fortuna is nice and sunny, sure it rains a lot in the winter, but we remain green for much of the summer, there are a few outlying towns that are small and warmer like Bridgeville, Carlotto and Rio Dell, can go another 30 miles south on 101 to Stafford and farther and it gets much warmer, into the 80º's and 90º's, though Fortuna can hit the 80 mark and higher in the summer and fall. 40 miles here takes about 30 to 40 minutes to drive. I have driven the 45 miles from McKinleyville to Scotia in just as many minutes. Redding can be scorching hot in the summer with many days in a row well above 100º while it can be a comfortable 75 in Fortuna and 65 in Eureka. Fortuna is slow and once you live there for a while, everyone gets to know you. It is the same in McKinleyville, everyone knows everyone and take the time to chat. We have parades in the summer geared towards rodeo days, a county fair with livestock and 4H. The mountains are not far away at all and the ocean is just a short drive.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Eureka sits right on Humboldt Bay, and is the coldest city. Where the airport is located at just to the north in McKinleyville, is considered the foggiest spot in the country. WWII they used that airport as an experimental air base, and did things like have a trench around it and inject jellied gasoline in and fire it off to burn off the fog so planes could land. They were trying to figure out how to solve the fog problem at airports in England, etc. to give airfields in foggy areas a way to be used in foggy weather. Some experience to be driving in heavy fog, and suddenly along the road you are traveling seeing them burn the fog off.

Fortuna is colder and less sun than Scotia even though we are only talking a few miles, as it is farther from the ocean which is at Ferndale area which is just to the north west of Fortuna at the end of the same valley as Fortuna is situated in. After Scotia it warms up quite a bit as you go down the highway. Another 10 miles they can even grow tomatoes and melons which don't do much at all in Fortuna.

I learned to fly out of the Rohnerville airport which is a suburb of Fortuna. I remember when I was starting to fly, and was doing touch and goes (take off make 4 left turns and land and instead of stopping you take off again) which is a standard practice for new pilots. I was flying solo half a circle behind my instructor flying doing the same touch and goes with another student. There was fog on the Eel River 400 feet below us. The fog was starting to rise as I made my first left turn, and by the time I was ready for my 3rd left the fog was so thick I could not see outside the plane, and had no choice but to climb above it. I had to climb to 1500 feet to get clear of it. Climbing with no point of reference is not recommended for a new student pilot, as it is too easy to go into a spin. I could see the airport I mentioned above 30 miles away and headed for it. Eureka airport was socked in and the only clear one was McKinnleyville. I sat down and had to wait for 3 hours before I could return to Rohnerville. I never called and let them know I was down safe (no radio in the plane), so they figured I had crashed somewhere, and were getting together a search party when I got back. They had called Eureka and found I could not land there, and the amount of gas I had aboard would have run out if I had stayed in the air. They never even dreamed that the McKinlleyville airport could be used, as it is usually the foggiest.

The ocean is very cold in that area of the coast, and it holds down the temperature in Fortuna which is just a short distance inland, especially holds down the temperatures and sun in Eureka 18 miles away.

The figures I gave you for temperatures, are from the National Weather Bureau. The reason redwoods grow so well in that area, is they need cool damp foggy weather to really thrive.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,844 times
Default PACIFICA?? Pacifica sucks BIG time!

mstnghu2 wrote suggesting Pacifica??

Move there and you'll find your kids subjected to some of the most idiotic, moronic bullying on the planet. One Pacifica police officer stated: "We don't get the most crimes in California ... but we certainly get some of the weirdest."

Drug City: Generations of alcoholic families. Meth is the drug of choice, but crack ranks high too.

Schools: Pacifica has to have some of the stupidest kids I've ever encountered. Why? Their parents. The educational climate is so bad that only the worst teachers remain.

Mental Illness: Pacifica is a mecca for people on SSI and Welfare. It's often been described as a "White Ghetto."

Jealousy Reigns: I have never seen a city so filled with jealousy towards each other. It's a BEAUTIFUL location. Sitting right on Highway 1, it's an "affordable" beach town. But because of that, there are some real pockets of true ignorance, racism, and hate there. There are members of the Klu Klux Klan there along with wanna-be gang bangers.

Another places to avoid is, Daily City.
(LOL) Talk about ignorance...
Property crime and drug abuse are among the problems with DC.
Check out the demographics of both and you'll see how some of the issues of "Internalized Oppression" play out in both cities.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,744 times
CHICO...has ALL your looking for, although it was hot this summer. But coming from WI w/ hot & very humid summer days...the heat was nothing! Good luck!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Hands down, the sunniest and most peaceful place in North CA, Fort Bidwell, not only dogs sleep in the street, but horses too, a close second is Cedarville.
Good choices. A bit less rural but pleasant is Paradise. For more "isolated" and a bit edgy, Fort Bragg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California