Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Shame to have such a negative viewpoint, I know lots of moral upright ethical young people, it happens with good parenting.

Not sure how many kids you have raised to adulthood, or if you did, how they turned out, but mine are all doing very well, ethically.

Now, daughter #2 tilted toward the dark side for a year, she sold her Jeep and bought a car, but, she learned her lesson and just sold her car and bought a truck. Hers is the one in the middle, between her mothers and mine, good to have her back on the straight and narrow!
Yes many turn out well, but many do not in-spite of the best parenting. MY daughter did and is doing well. However I know of others with the best parents imaginable who still went bad. No one thing contributes to it and no one thing makes it successful. This world is full of dangerous activities that 100 years ago simply were not seen, let alone even heard of, by the vast majority of kids.

Then of course we have a huge number of just plain lousy parents and then a huge number who want to be but either do not have a clue or are so stressed just providing sustenance and covering they can't do more, and the kids get hurt. Then we have divorced and single family (never married) situations that just make it worse.

I am glad you kids turned out OK, tell your daughter to keep on truckin. Now you get to worry about the grand kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes many turn out well, but many do not in-spite of the best parenting. MY daughter did and is doing well. However I know of others with the best parents imaginable who still went bad. No one thing contributes to it and no one thing makes it successful. This world is full of dangerous activities that 100 years ago simply were not seen, let alone even heard of, by the vast majority of kids.

Then of course we have a huge number of just plain lousy parents and then a huge number who want to be but either do not have a clue or are so stressed just providing sustenance and covering they can't do more, and the kids get hurt. Then we have divorced and single family (never married) situations that just make it worse.

I am glad you kids turned out OK, tell your daughter to keep on truckin. Now you get to worry about the grand kids.
Remember, bad stuff has always been present, the nature of it may vary, but it has always been part of humankind.

I have known a heck of a lot of kids, and families, and the child from good parenting that goes bad is pretty darned rare. There are families that to the outside world present a facade that differs from inside the home.

Your second paragraph is summed up by; "bad parenting", there can be no excuses, the most important job a parent has, is either done well, or done poorly.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The numbers are what they are...

It is important to note even against overwhelming odds... not every elected official is a member of the Democrat Party...
Well duh of course not. However, not every county is a democratic one either. However the vast majority of counties that are republican are rural. Conservatism seems to only be able to survive in isolation and even then are usually lost in history eventually. The state as a whole is a blue state , everyone knows that. The GOP in their typical fashion ignores the fac t when they lost ground anywhere. In 1984 Contra Costa County went for Reagan. Today it's a democratic stronghold. Why? The GOP disregarded the fact that they lost it which eventually led to them losing the state. Their behavior hasn't changed and as a result they are slipping farther and farther into oblivion. I'm not complaining, if anything quite the opposite.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well duh of course not. However, not every county is a democratic one either. However the vast majority of counties that are republican are rural. Conservatism seems to only be able to survive in isolation and even then are usually lost in history eventually. The state as a whole is a blue state , everyone knows that. The GOP in their typical fashion ignores the fac t when they lost ground anywhere. In 1984 Contra Costa County went for Reagan. Today it's a democratic stronghold. Why? The GOP disregarded the fact that they lost it which eventually led to them losing the state. Their behavior hasn't changed and as a result they are slipping farther and farther into oblivion. I'm not complaining, if anything quite the opposite.
As someone that has never been a registered Republican, Democrat or any other party affiliation... I tend to value/appreciate having more than a one party system for the diversity of ideas it brings to the table.

Candidate Romney is getting a lot of coverage over his remark about the number of people paying taxes and I find it interesting that his statement is a rallying cry for both sides

This morning, the local news station pundits were predicting this one remark has all but eliminated his chances for the White House and others were saying this one remark has energized his base...

Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This world is full of dangerous activities that 100 years ago simply were not seen, let alone even heard of, by the vast majority of kids.
The world of 100 years ago was full of dangerous activities that simply are not seen, let alone even heard of, save for history books, by the vast majority of kids today... such as how non-whites were treated. Childhood disease and death. Unsafe food. The Spanish Influenza pandemic which resulted in ~100 million + deaths. Dying from appendicitis and infected teeth. Elementary school age kids working down in coal mines.

We survived that and we'll survive the stuff that makes you reel in horror today while grasping your crucifix. That's what humans do, we survive and adapt.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As someone that has never been a registered Republican, Democrat or any other party affiliation... I tend to value/appreciate having more than a one party system for the diversity of ideas it brings to the table.

Candidate Romney is getting a lot of coverage over his remark about the number of people paying taxes and I find it interesting that his statement is a rallying cry for both sides

This morning, the local news station pundits were predicting this one remark has all but eliminated his chances for the White House and others were saying this one remark has energized his base...
I agree that one party, even if it's the one I may more in common with, shouldn't dominate. However I don't think today's GOP which is dominated with southern politicians and ideas and is completely out of touch with California ia a good alternative. We do need someone, maybe two or three someone elses to keep the deems in check. Today's GOP again isn't it for this state.

As far as the Romney remark is concerned, I think what you post is correct on both accounts. He likely did lose a lot of support but precisely because he energized biz base. That base on the GOP side doesn't represent a whole lot of people these days. You can no longer win an election with just the angry white male vote.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The world of 100 years ago was full of dangerous activities that simply are not seen, let alone even heard of, save for history books, by the vast majority of kids today... such as how non-whites were treated. Childhood disease and death. Unsafe food. The Spanish Influenza pandemic which resulted in ~100 million + deaths. Dying from appendicitis and infected teeth. Elementary school age kids working down in coal mines.

We survived that and we'll survive the stuff that makes you reel in horror today while grasping your crucifix. That's what humans do, we survive and adapt.
Well said Tucky, well said

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Consider such family doings as incest and child abuse, 100 years ago both were very common and completely unreported. Look at the treatment of the euro immigrants, tenements, child labor, child prostitution.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

And you should know. You were there!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Following my big brother Curmie around pestering him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California