Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 AM
lnn lnn started this thread

4 posts, read 4,003 times

Advertisements

I am sure you get tired of these posts but I've been researching on my own for a couple months now on where to relocate and now I've completely changed directions. Thought it would be better to get advice from people currently living in the state we want to move to and then go from there.

About us: We are 26 year old's with one toddler and another baby on the way. We are looking to move by fall of 2013. We sold our home already this June and are saving up by living in an apartment(ugh) for the time being. Husband brings in about 80k/yr currently but if we relocate it will be down to 50k/yr until he finds better/more work. We are planning on staying with my husband's family who lives in Sacramento until we figure out which area is better for us. Don't want to stay there too long so that is why I am researching now.

Why we want to move: Never could call Alaska my home. I grew up moving state to state with my father being in Military. I always loved California. We visit almost every year (and I always have to make a trip to S.F.). My husband feels the same and we have been waiting for the right time to move. At this point we kept stalling with different excuses for years and figured no time is the right time until we make it so. We just had our first snowfall of the year yesterday. I am not looking forward to the gloomy long winter anymore. So much beauty around but the lifestyle not to mention 7-8 months of winter has been taking a toll on us emotionally. We are not hard to please. Looking for BRIGHT mornings/afternoon, sun to boost our vitamin D naturally, a house to call our home, and a garden that lasts more than 3 months ;p and all the rest can be added as we go along. I am mostly looking to be outside with my kids instead of running around from car to store in the cold.

What we are looking for:
1. Good/great schools (private or public) for my kids (starting from preschool to high school).
Extracurricular activities for after school.
2. Rent for the time being around $1600 or less for 2-3 bedrooms
3. Low crime rate
4. Outdoor activities for families (well we are not afraid of driving but don't want to spend our whole day in traffic. I am used to the city life but not with young kids)
5. Not too far Asian groceries or groceries that carry well stocked Asian foods/produce.
6. Some walking distance stores. I would love to live in both worlds, city and country.

Sorry for this being so long but I wanted to make sure I covered everything that matters to us when it comes to choosing a new place to live. We are thinking of using my husband's leave time and going to visit his family in December this year and also look around the area some more. Thanks for reading! And any suggestion will help whether it be a website or whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
You will likely need to increase your housing budget if you want to live in a nice place in Southern or Northern California, especially an area with good public schools. There is a high correlation between housing prices and good schools, low crime rates, etc.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Fair Oaks or Roseville would be choices that might meet your needs, and be within your price range:

//www.city-data.com/city/Fair-Oaks-California.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Roseville-California.html

Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
If you're also considering the Los Angeles area, try the San Gabriel Valley. The San Gabriel Valley has a large Asian population and therefore many good stores and restaurants. One San Gabriel Valley city with the combination of good schools and affordable rent is Temple City. It also is somewhat walkable. The crime rate is low throughout the SGV and TC is one of the best, with a crime rate in the low 100s. (National average is about 320.)

//www.city-data.com/city/Temple...alifornia.html

Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM
lnn lnn started this thread

4 posts, read 4,003 times
Thank you for your replies. To be honest I was not expecting those average housing prices! Defiantly going to be looking into those cities mentioned! and I agree ccm123, I may have to re-look over our budget for renting after I get an idea on the city we are most interested in. Safe neighborhood and good school is top on our list.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
To add to s113454's suggestion, San Gabriel Valley is very close to the (san gabriel) mountains, with great hiking trails, camping and even bungie jumping. I'm slightly biased, but some other cities in SGV I'd recommend for low crime rates and good schools are Diamond Bar and Walnut. They're more east of San Gabriel and Temple city, but they also boast great shopping, restaurants and amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California