U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM
 
3,506 posts, read 3,523,348 times
Reputation: 4182

Advertisements

If Coastal California were like Houston, or if inland California were like Wisconsin, (as an example) and everything else were the same, the good (first class entertainment and culture in the major cities, the ocean, the mountains etc.) the bad, (high COL, crowded, traffic, welfare state etc. etc.) how would it affect the population? Would the good still outweigh the bad, or would people leave in droves?

As I occasionally flirt with the idea of moving out of state (although most of my family is here, and hubby has a secure job he likes, so highly doubtful) I read about all the horror stories when it comes to weather all over this country, and, never having lived in another climate full time, (I admit I'm a wimp!) it's really intimidating!

I mean, BBQ's sometimes in December, no shoveling snow or sliding around on ice...

Is our fantastic weather, especially on the coastal side, like a drug that has subdued us into shrugging our shoulders when stuck on the 405?

I realize the answer is obvious, but to what degree? Are we stoned on sunshine? :cool
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 8,178,799 times
Reputation: 2622
But wait, which weather in CA? Do not mistake the benign weather of coastal CA for being the only weather in CA.
Coldest town year round average in the lower 48 states, in CA.
Hottest temp ever recorded in the world, in CA.
Heaviest snowfall of any place in US, in CA.
Some areas in CA get over 100 inches of rain per year, some get next to none.
You can ski somewhere in California all year around.
You can go swimming in a lake somewhere in California all year around.

Some places in CA will only have sunny days, 77 days out of the year.

Some places in CA will have sunny days 360-365 days out of the year.

Coldest Temp recorded in CA minus 45 degrees
Warmest Temp recorded in CA 134 degrees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
 
3,506 posts, read 3,523,348 times
Reputation: 4182
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
But wait, which weather in CA? Do not mistake the benign weather of coastal CA for being the only weather in CA.
Coldest town year round average in the lower 48 states, in CA.
Hottest temp ever recorded in the world, in CA.
Heaviest snowfall of any place in US, in CA.
Some areas in CA get over 100 inches of rain per year, some get next to none.
You can ski somewhere in California all year around.
You can go swimming in a lake somewhere in California all year around.

Some places in CA will only have sunny days, 77 days out of the year.

Some places in CA will have sunny days 360-365 days out of the year.

Coldest Temp recorded in CA minus 45 degrees
Warmest Temp recorded in CA 134 degrees.
All valid points!
I should have emphasized I'm referring to the most population dense coastal areas from San Francisco, to San Diego. California is a very big state indeed, but most are not itching to settle in for retirement in Death Valley.
Even the inland Empire and east San Diego county are hot, but still very dry, and easy to live in relative to the cabin fever I hear folks get in the Northeast, or enduring "the big drip" in the deep South during summer for example.

As far at snow living and skiing, yes indeed, Hubby and I lived in Crestline for two years, (and loved it!) but we worked in east Orange County. (the commute was awful, but we lived for the weekends!) When Hubs got laid off and got another job, it was further SW in Orange County and it became impractical to continue living in the mountains. (He tried to get an IT job in the inland empire, but couldn't find one).
On the whole I do think the weather here is one of the main, if not top draws for most people moving here, and perhaps for many people staying here. (of course family is a huge reason for anyone to stay put anywhere)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 8,178,799 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
California is a very big state indeed, but most are not itching to settle in for retirement in Death Valley.
You took that to an extreme, however, the foothills, the gold country, hot summers, cool to cold winters, occasional snow, almost a continental climate, is extremely popular, from Tehachapi to Paradise.

Quote:
of course family is a huge reason for anyone to stay put anywhere)
or for leaving....

I would not live in So Cal, I'd shoot myself first, but, that is me. Fortunately that is only, say, a less than a third of the state, the other two thirds plus, except for the Bay Area, but including the City of San Francisco, and south Marin County are pretty darned livable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,681,003 times
Reputation: 1241
Is weather the TOP reason to live in California?

For me, without a doubt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,376 posts, read 14,202,445 times
Reputation: 11778
It's not the weather, although that plays a part. It's the part in the middle that's the juiciest.
I think National Geographic called it the "Central Kingdom", though I've never heard that term anywhere else. Gold Country also has my heart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 8,178,799 times
Reputation: 2622
Also, The Other California, Gerald Haslem author The Other California: The Great Central Valley In Life And Letters - Gerald W. Haslam - Google Books
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
 
5,870 posts, read 11,498,893 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
If Coastal California were like Houston, or if inland California were like Wisconsin, (as an example) and everything else were the same, the good (first class entertainment and culture in the major cities, the ocean, the mountains etc.) the bad, (high COL, crowded, traffic, welfare state etc. etc.) how would it affect the population? Would the good still outweigh the bad, or would people leave in droves?

As I occasionally flirt with the idea of moving out of state (although most of my family is here, and hubby has a secure job he likes, so highly doubtful) I read about all the horror stories when it comes to weather all over this country, and, never having lived in another climate full time, (I admit I'm a wimp!) it's really intimidating!

I mean, BBQ's sometimes in December, no shoveling snow or sliding around on ice...

Is our fantastic weather, especially on the coastal side, like a drug that has subdued us into shrugging our shoulders when stuck on the 405?

I realize the answer is obvious, but to what degree? Are we stoned on sunshine? :cool
Here's the thing, weather or climate, has a huge influence on what makes California what it is.

First and foremost. Agriculture. California's Mediterranean climate, with flat river basins, surrounded by mountains that provide water for irrigation make California the nations producer of fruits and vegetables. This in turn spurred the development of towns and cities including LA.

The year round sunshine with the diversity of landscapes (including being as far from the Edison trust as possible) is why the movie industry moved to LA, which of course triggered other entertainment. As well as manufacturing and testing aircraft which of course was/is a huge industry.

And as far as COL, the reason why the cost of living is so high, is at least indirectly related to the fact that there is a lot of demand, considering the unique physical qualities of the state.

So, it all works together. If the Gold Rush didn't happen in the mild climate of the Sierra foothills, it would not have been as large (like Alaska) and San Francisco would not be what it is, because the Gold Rush wouldn't attract nearly as many, not triggering enough movement of capital, etc.

So, it all works together. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all. But the answer to "is weather the TOP reason to live in California" The answer is yes AND no.

For me personally, yes. I can go hiking and other outdoor stuff any time of the year. When its too hot, you can go to the beach or to the mountains. The mountains, hills, canyons, beaches, offer an opportunity to be fit and healthy in addition to the easy access to California produce and the diverse cultures which generally have healthy food compared to All american fare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 AM
 
2,311 posts, read 3,033,097 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Here's the thing, weather or climate, has a huge influence on what makes California what it is.

First and foremost. Agriculture. California's Mediterranean climate, with flat river basins, surrounded by mountains that provide water for irrigation make California the nations producer of fruits and vegetables. This in turn spurred the development of towns and cities including LA.

The year round sunshine with the diversity of landscapes (including being as far from the Edison trust as possible) is why the movie industry moved to LA, which of course triggered other entertainment. As well as manufacturing and testing aircraft which of course was/is a huge industry.

And as far as COL, the reason why the cost of living is so high, is at least indirectly related to the fact that there is a lot of demand, considering the unique physical qualities of the state.

So, it all works together. If the Gold Rush didn't happen in the mild climate of the Sierra foothills, it would not have been as large (like Alaska) and San Francisco would not be what it is, because the Gold Rush wouldn't attract nearly as many, not triggering enough movement of capital, etc.

So, it all works together. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all. But the answer to "is weather the TOP reason to live in California" The answer is yes AND no.

For me personally, yes. I can go hiking and other outdoor stuff any time of the year. When its too hot, you can go to the beach or to the mountains. The mountains, hills, canyons, beaches, offer an opportunity to be fit and healthy in addition to the easy access to California produce and the diverse cultures which generally have healthy food compared to All american fare.
It's jobs .. that is the number one reason... As to why certain industries are in calif., there is a long dated history. Majority of people don't live inland for obvious reasons and thus its structuring/industry has little to do w/ why people "NOW" come to calif.

As to "WHO" is coming to calif... Go straight to the data :


Yes, the data shows domestic inflows have actually been net negative since 1990 ...
"Since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through this migration."

What's filling the gap? Foreign immigration ...
Who?
Take a look at 1993 for isntance ...
http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog...ts/FLEGPIC.PDF
Page 9 ... 50% Asian ...
Asian is a large group.. Page 11 .. biggest percentage by region .. Goes to Mexican and this is just 'legal' immigrants...

http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog...ts/FLEGPIC.PDF
Page 17 .. 40% plus of American's illegal immigrants live in california...
Page 18 .. Immigrants by country of origin (legal) .. predominately Mexican....

Opportunity is the #1 reason ...

Farming/Agriculture .. jobs are ever fleeting ..
In 1870, 70-80 percent of the US population was employed in agriculture. As of 2008, approximately 2-3 percent of the population is directly employed in agriculture.[6]

In 2010, there were 1,202,500 farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers and an estimated 757,900 agricultural workers were employed in the US. Animal breeders accounted for 11,500 of those workers with the rest categorized as miscellaneous agricultural workers. The median pay was $9.12 per hour or $18,970 per year.[6]

Notice I said jobs... Not size of the industry.. Mechanization and technology have been filling the gaps... with output/revenue ever increasing.

The jobs are in the valley in tech .. in L.A and there are a whole degree of industries that fan out from it...


You have though...
"Since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through this migration."
and here is a detailed report...
Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

So, at present day, mainly foreign born immigrants come here for ever fleeting opportunities while, in net, domestic population is seeking out greener pastures ...

The weather is a plus and everything starts from somewhere.. The question is.. once you have built everything up off of past foundations .. are you in sustaining mode, growth, or decline.

At such price premiums, it seems the domestic American population who isn't constrained by visas or lack of comfort elsewhere in the u.s is, in resounding #'s, choosing to leave California ..

Why are there those who stay? weather, family, friends, job opportunity .. having planted their feet here when things weren't so ridiculous compared to other opportunities/places in the U.S.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 AM
 
Location: California
32,664 posts, read 36,087,688 times
Reputation: 28738
It is all that for me and I never knew it until I traveled a little. I can't take heat or humidity and snow can kiss my butt, I'm spoiled by the only place I've ever lived. Weather is just something I take for granted and never ever think about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top