Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,012 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone has some input on this. I know this may be a bit of a headache to solve, but it has to be done.

I moved to Los Angeles 2 years ago from North Carolina. I still currently have NC tags (expired in 2010, yes I know, terrible). I attempted to register my vehicle here, in LA, at some point earlier this year. Unfortunately since I couldn't find my old NC registration, they wouldn't go any further. My work schedule has been crazy this year, and I just now have time to try and sort this out.

I worry all of the time while driving, although I've not had any problems yet. I fear when I do get stopped for whatever reason, it won't be as simple as a citation and they send me on my way.

With that said, is there any way possible to register my vehicle with expired NC tags in CA without having my old NC registration card? If not, does anyone have input on what I need to do to resolve this fiasco? I attempted to talk with the NCDOT earlier this year, and they actually wanted me to re-register, although I explained I no longer reside in NC.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Get a duplicate copy of your registration from NC's DMV and then bring the duplicate to the CA DMV. You're going to have to pay transfer fees to register your car in CA & get a CA license plate but you might get lucky and not have to pay the late fees and back payments you'd have to pay if you simply brought your car current in NC. Best of luck and make sure you take care of this because they will impound your car if you get pulled over.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Get a duplicate copy of your registration from NC's DMV and then bring the duplicate to the CA DMV. You're going to have to pay transfer fees to register your car in CA & get a CA license plate but you might get lucky and not have to pay the late fees and back payments you'd have to pay if you simply brought your car current in NC. Best of luck and make sure you take care of this because they will impound your car if you get pulled over.
That's what I had attempted to do earlier, but since my registration was expired, they wouldn't send me a duplicate.

Perhaps I'll just call the DMV and talk it out with them. Assuming I should just start with CA DMV.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
My best guess is that CA's DMV is still going to require NC registration or a clear title to your car before they'll register it to you in CA. Otherwise you have no proof that it's yours. That will be especially important to them if you still owe on the car which means there's a loss payee for insurance purposes and you will need proof of insurance as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My best guess is that CA's DMV is still going to require NC registration or a clear title to your car before they'll register it to you in CA. Otherwise you have no proof that it's yours. That will be especially important to them if you still owe on the car which means there's a loss payee for insurance purposes and you will need proof of insurance as well.
Well I stayed up so late stressing over this (and still looking for the old registration although I knew I wouldn't find it) that it was early enough to call the NC DOT. They're sending me a letterhead NC DOT copy of my old registration.

Here's to hoping this copy will be accepted by the CA DMV!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
It will likely suffice because it gives them something to run by registration number and VIN.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It will likely suffice because it gives them something to run by registration number and VIN.
Went in today and they did indeed accept it and I'm now registered in CA.

I did have to sign a form giving my statements on why I couldn't produce the actual registration, but that was as far as that discussion went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California