Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

An interesting quote from the article:

Quote:
Opponents of the program have pointed to a June analysis prepared by the non-partisan Legislative Analyst’s Office that found the program “appears to result in a net decline in state revenues.”
I think the point raised by the OP is valid. California wants to raise taxes on its citizens essentially across the board, but wants to reduce taxes on Hollywood.

What would California do if Chevron asked for a tax break? Why doesn't California take steps to stop Apple from avoiding CA taxes through its manipulation of various tax codes through Braeburn Capitol? Apple won't move any of its R&D out of CA.

Last edited by hoffdano; 10-03-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
An interesting quote from the article:

I think the point raised by the OP is valid. California wants to raise taxes on its citizens essentially across the board, but wants to reduce taxes on Hollywood.

What would California do if Chevron asked for a tax break? Why doesn't California take steps to stop Apple from hiding taxes through its manipulation of various tax codes through Braeburn Capitol? Apple won't move any of its R&D out of CA.
It is a valid concern and point to ponder and study.
But, speaking of points: most incentivizing tax breaks, anywhere -- Texas, Nevada, N. Dakota, Timbuktu -- to retain or attract industry come at some cost to the offering state initially. Short-term costs need to be balanced by long-term potentials.

In the case of California and any industry right now, the people of the state need to ponder what the immediate losses of industry will be during this time of struggle. A modest loss of net revenue over the several next years compared to lots of layoffs and losses to ancillary businesses is a chain of reaction that may be cheaper to finance through smaller revenue losses for the short term, until California rebalances in a greater variety of ways.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
The first thing California has to do besides the obvious (overspending) is wean itself from its out-of-balance reliance on income taxes as those are and almost always have been unreliable, especially at times of high unemployment as now. Of course it wouldn't hurt to get rid of Props. 13 and 58 either, direct the revenues back to the counties and then do away with the several realignment programs that invariably become insufficient while building ever-larger bureauocracies at the state level to maintain them.

But it won't happen!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Interesting national map, yeahthatguy. Looks like I'm in the right place at the right time.

I don't see this economic crises ending soon, so I'm amazed at any state that doesn't care about losing businesses while raising taxes at the same time. The math simply doesn't work.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
People who whine about crony capitalism and "tax cuts for the rich" and then look the other way just because it's Hollywood always have me howling with laughter.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Intersting comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Interesting national map, yeahthatguy. Looks like I'm in the right place at the right time.

I don't see this economic crises ending soon, so I'm amazed at any state that doesn't care about losing businesses while raising taxes at the same time. The math simply doesn't work.
Please show us some sources for your claim that California "doesn't care about losing businesses".
And where will the money come from to cover the cost of "saving businesses" -- if the population doesn't support the efforts to recover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
People who whine about crony capitalism and "tax cuts for the rich" and then look the other way just because it's Hollywood always have me howling with laughter.
Fleabag hounds howl at sirens and the moon, too, when they mistake them for reality.
Speaking of reality -- show me where I "look the other way just because it's Hollywood".
Personally, I don't care whether they get the tax break or not.
I simply find the hypocrisy of some posters here hilarious.
"Make California business-competitive! or we'll all go down the toilet! (er, if it doesn't cost me a dime, that is)"

Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
Nullgeo, please stop. I'm actually starting to feel bad for how thoroughly you got taken apart already by yeahthatguy, even if you did bring it on yourself.

Same old story, ytg counters with facts, you counter with your rhetorical bubble. User_Id learned what a fruitless task that is which is why they don't bother to engage in discussion with ytg anymore, too bad you still haven't gotten the message. Some animals you just don't need to set traps for I suppose.

People like yourself claim to stand up for the little guy, but apparently they're nothing but whiners when things get too rough on their wallets (waits for your usual "well, it's a good thing they weren't fighting in my company back in the war, blah, blah, blah" rant). Or when they leave CA for a better life, "screw 'em, they just couldn't hack it!"

And all the while you're actually defending straight up cronyism while making a logically inept comparison to making CA more business friendly. Are you actually reading back over the stuff you're posting? I recommend you do.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
It is a valid concern and point to ponder and study.
But, speaking of points: most incentivizing tax breaks, anywhere -- Texas, Nevada, N. Dakota, Timbuktu -- to retain or attract industry come at some cost to the offering state initially. Short-term costs need to be balanced by long-term potentials.

In the case of California and any industry right now, the people of the state need to ponder what the immediate losses of industry will be during this time of struggle. A modest loss of net revenue over the several next years compared to lots of layoffs and losses to ancillary businesses is a chain of reaction that may be cheaper to finance through smaller revenue losses for the short term, until California rebalances in a greater variety of ways.
I agree with you on tax incentives. But attracting a new business with tax incentives is a bit different than tax incentives for an existing one. A new business, even with tax breaks, should produce a net positive in tax revenue since they didn't exist before. In Texas, those tax breaks are usually property taxes.

Once a business establishes roots, there is some "stickiness" or inertia that keeps them put.

Don't assume that everyone in Texas approves of tax incentives. Austin recently gave Apple a lot of incentive to increase their footprint here - mostly for support and sales people. A lot of people opposed those breaks because the thinking was Apple would come here anyway. Apple played hardball, and the politicians gave in. The state of Texas invested $25M to entice Formula 1 to come to Austin for the next ten years. Will it pay off? We'll find out soon.

I think the issues here on this thread are twofold:

- raising taxes on everyone while reducing them for an established California industry
- whether or not THIS PARTICULAR industry benefited from its clear association with the Democratic party

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM

272 posts, read 322,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
- whether or not THIS PARTICULAR industry benefited from its clear association with the Democratic party
in other countries this practice calls "corruption" in goverment...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Please show us some sources for your claim that California "doesn't care about losing businesses".
You're kidding, right?
Quote:
And where will the money come from to cover the cost of "saving businesses" -- if the population doesn't support the efforts to recover?
Considering CA citizens are already among the most highly taxed, and CA life is expensive and jobs are being lost, when will they crack? It will only cause the exodus to grow larger, so it will backfire.

Recover from what? The endless checkbook the CA government has overdrawn?

Attract more businesses with lower taxes and you get more revenue. The map that was posted is a shining example of how that works. Only a stubborn person refuses to see what the map shows in living color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California