Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if someone can tell me the difference.
A friend of mine scolds me whenever I say or refer to him as Mexican. He says he is not Mexican he is Chicano and that they are very much different. I was wondering if someone can please tell me what they are wether it be culturally or anything that will help me understand. I dont know if this matters but he has light skin and green eyes. He says he is from New Mexico but it usually slips he is really from Mexico (which of course does not matter, but I understand everyone has their reasons to say things.)
He mention that it is people in California that confuse the two and think they are one in the same when they very much are not.

Any serious answer is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Mexicans are from Mexico.

Chicanos are American-born descendants of people from Mexico.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
He mention that it is people in California that confuse the two and think they are one in the same when they very much are not.
He doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

This post and the one before it are both from Calif natives.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
A friend of mine scolds me whenever I say or refer to him as Mexican. He says he is not Mexican he is Chicano and that they are very much different. I was wondering if someone can please tell me what they are wether it be culturally or anything that will help me understand. I dont know if this matters but he has light skin and green eyes. He says he is from New Mexico but it usually slips he is really from Mexico (which of course does not matter, but I understand everyone has their reasons to say things.)

A Mexican is someone from Mexico. Especially with citizenship in that country.

A Chicano was born in the USA, culturally is from the USA, often has never stepped foot in Mexico.

I would think it would be quite obvious if he were from New Mexico as opposed to being from Mexico.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
A Chicano is more of a mind set at that. Think macho short person attitude.
The best way to address these people is Hispanic not Mexican.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Chilango maybe but not Chicano. Next time you see him tell him he's no Chicano but a engañador.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
He'd probably appreciate pocho.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
He'd probably appreciate pocho.
LOL

thats me.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Default Sincerely

Quote:

I think it really depends on the person being addressed; having said that, I am from Chicago and I have been told that the preference is to be referred to as Latino/Latina, perhaps it's a regional thing.

I don't know if this resolves your dilemma or not, however (and perhaps) just another point of view.

Mexican?
Chicano?
Hispanic?

Latino/Latina

Best tregards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
LOL

thats me.
Me too.

These are generalizations, but basically:

1. Paisano (Mexican), this is the person that comes from Mexico. He moves to the US and sus hijos (his kids) are:

2. Chicanos (Mexican-American). This person will likely speak Spanish at home while young or around his parents/family, and may or may not prefer to do so in practice as an adult. Typically more assimilated to mainstream America, and more often bilingual. Unless strongly participant in their parents'/grandparents culture and language, their kids may turn into:

3. Pochos (whom are also Chicanos/Mexican-American). They rarely speak any fluent Spanish, and retain few cultural characteristics of their grandparents, though they may try. These folks, and their children are completely assimilated Americans. The term "Pocho" is often a pejorative, as Chicanos and Paisanos may feel that the Pocho has betrayed or forgotten their culture, even if it is no fault of their own.

Oddly enough, there tends to be a degree of marginalization between the three groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California