Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

I havent seen anything about the high gas prices on the news lately so all is calm now. Gas did go down this afternoon by 4 cents to $4.56.
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Cali-...5394-1384.aspx

Last edited by steel7; 10-14-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I havent seen anything about the high gas prices on the news lately so all is calm now. Gas did go down this afternoon by 4 cents to $4.56.
Cali gas price investigations, Gov. action mean little - Gasbuddy Gas Prices
What a stupid article. It correctly identifies one of the major problems being California's isolation from the rest of the nation's gasoline supply... and then promptly goes on to call for increased oversight and regulation because that's encourage refineries to open up here. Then it goes on to get even worse. Oh, the big bad oil companies make messes but what we need to do is launch the friggin' Spanish Inquisition on 'em if they dare shutdown for maintenance and interrupt our precious oil supply. And then it gets even worse. Everyone knows the problem is that gas refinery business is less competitive than it used to be. Here at Gasbuddy, we're going to solve that with more regulation and oversight and hold 'em accountable for any messes they make while dragging their feet over the coals if the even think about doing maintenance. That will increase the number of refineries and increase competitiveness for sure. And now we can go onto the real problem:

Quote:
The biggest problem is the here and now. California prices remain in the $4.60s/gal even as wholesale prices of gasoline have fallen significantly in the last several days- now it is up to gasoline stations to lower their retail price as their wholesale cost drops. Where are the gouging investigations? Where is the California Attorney General reminding station owners to pass along changes in their cost?
Gas stations are a competitive market. It took days and in many cases a week or more for prices at the pump to rise. That was the whole reason behing the sensationalizing "OMG GAS STATIONS SHUTTING DOWN!11!!111" article. Stations needing to fill up were faced with the prospect of buying wholesale gas and selling it for less. Pretty much any busy gas station at this point has bought the expensive stuff. Why are they going to rush out and instantly drop their prices and sell it at a loss? Stupid is as stupid does. I'm sure they would have loved to jack the prices up instantaneously, but they couldn't because it's a competitive market. It happened gradually. That meant stations seeing a big chunk of their profits cut as the bought expensive wholesale gas but couldn't just pass it all on to consumers. Price adjustment takes time. Anyone who has taken Economics 1 as a freshman knows that, which apparently is not the author of this drivel. Solution? Send out the Attorney General, man! The competitive market which is the solution to refineries clearly doesn't work.

But thanks, Gasbuddy. I'll rest easy tonight knowing you're out there making sure you've informed everyone that you informed Moonbeam of the problems. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard for that amazing insight you've passed on to the Governor now, wouldn't want you to strain yourself.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
With regards to the above post....there is a history of this in the insurance industry.

State A passes law requiring more coverage. Rates go up. State A blames insurance companies....vows to stop their "gouging". Insurance companies stop doing biz in state A. State A launches "reforms".

Seriously?

Remember, we are dealing with professional liars, aka politicians.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM

We sure are getting "burned" here in ca. its discusting.
Gas prices appear poised to fall - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
We sure are getting "burned" here in ca. its discusting.
Gas prices appear poised to fall - Gasbuddy Gas Prices
Why are you so disgusted? That's your own state laws and cost of living.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why are you so disgusted? That's your own state laws and cost of living.
Its tough living in ca for many people incl me. Everything has gone up except my wages. The company i work for (2 yrs) told me raises are not in the budget.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
According to the news tonight, prices have dropped around six cents a gallon. I haven't seen it in my area. The newscaster reported last night that people were wondering when the prices were going to start coming down since Brown ordered early release of the winter blend fuel two weeks ago. We should have seen a bigger drop than six cents a gallon. I'm not buying it. There's mischief afoot.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Gas should of gone down more by now. Whats going on here ?
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Follo...5857-1392.aspx

Last edited by steel7; 10-16-2012 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Gas should have gone down and it has. Gassed up for $4.22 a gallon on the way home today. It wasn't so long ago that that station was $4.4x.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Sure hope we find out why soon ....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California