Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My view too. If a voter is inclined to choose either, they should go and support 38. I never support this "go tax the other guy" stuff.

Be willing to contribute, if you support tax increases.
It may all be moot. Proposition 38 doesn't have the numbers it needs and now it looks as if Proposition 30 is beginning to lose some popularity. But what the heck! California may still get a high speed train to nowhere.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cali...vey-finds.html

One would think that with education getting 40% of the state budget, thanks to Proposition 98, more gains would be seen. Makes me wonder what the next proposition or two or three will be even if either or both of this year's pass.

I have to agree though, if you're gonna tax one you should tax all. Doesn't that fall under the equal protection clause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Maybe the California Franchise Tax Board can find a way for anyone getting a refund via the Federal Earned Income Credit for that to go directly to California schools.

It’s seems every year I find some poor working person getting a windfall back for a refund, when they never even paid in that much to begin with. Some parents get enough of a free ride, and it’s time for them alone to be a little more vested in their children’s education.

I’m sure someone will chime in that it takes a village; well some of the village is tired and wheezy given the stagnant wage and economic growth.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Inflation-adjusted spending per student in the United States has nearly tripled since 1970.
CA is now ranked somewhere around 43rd in per pupil spending in the U.S.

Quote:
Pay is almost solely determined by how many years they've been teaching. That's it.
Our neighbor's a teacher. She hasn't had a raise in seven years. The other teachers I know don't have salaries that are commensurate with the number of years they've been teaching.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not voting for any tax increases ever again. Let everything fail. Then we can start from scratch. No pain no gain.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I love all the commercials every year saying that money from a proposition can only go to X, can't be touched by politicians, is audited, etc. How many times do people have to be lied to before they stop feeding the beast?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not voting for any tax increases ever again. Let everything fail. Then we can start from scratch. No pain no gain.

Funny but I was thinking exactly the same thing and then I read your comment.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Remember when the State Lottery was going to save our schools and there would never be a money problem ever again? I wonder how bad things would be without any of that money now. That's money for nothing right there, on top of taxes.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Remember when the State Lottery was going to save our schools and there would never be a money problem ever again? I wonder how bad things would be without any of that money now. That's money for nothing right there, on top of taxes.
Revenue is nothing but a closet. The bigger the closet, the more you put in it. The more revenue government brings in, the more it will spend. If I were living in a low tax state, I'd take such requests seriously. CA gets plenty of money. Give them more today and they'll be back again for more later.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Revenue is nothing but a closet. The bigger the closet, the more you put in it. The more revenue government brings in, the more it will spend. If I were living in a low tax state, I'd take such requests seriously. CA gets plenty of money. Give them more today and they'll be back again for more later.
Well, the Treasurer might disagree with you. A lack of money has never really been California's problem. The problems have been, and remain, outmoded funding streams, unfunded mandates, categorical spending unrealistic budgets that are mostly smoke, mirrors and unrealistically rosy forecasts coupled with just plain check-kiting, fund-robbing and overspending. Whatever the governor's office, department of finance or legislative analyst predict the coming year's deficit to be, double that and you'll be much closer to the mark.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Quote:
Ditto!

CA gets enough tax $$$ (BTW - how much is enough? ..of the 8th largest economy on EARTH) - and the schools get half (close enough) - and that's enough already!! They (all) need to look someplace else to solve the fiscal problems..... ah, spending?

Economy of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California