Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 40,071 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love CA! I was born and raised here. The beauty of CA cannot be beat. I grew up Quartz Hill, in the High Desert, North of LA. The views we have up there are breath-taking, from the fields of Poppies to the snow-capped mountains. CA has everything you want from beaches, mountains, plains, lakes, ski resorts, desert, meadows, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Leonard, I just took the time to sample your posts. Out of a total of 179 posts, 9 were in TN fora and 170 were in CA fora. Is it THAT boring there?
Hi,

Nope,

I have changed computers, internet servers and a host of other computer related things. In the process I lost my original password and even changed email addresses. I posted a great deal on the TN Board before and after moving here. Now it is such a lovely place that posting is now minimal. CA, the State I still "love" continues to be a part of my life due to family, friends and business. I would like for all 3 to see improvement in the State and how it is run. NOT the beauty, but the day to day life there in my parts of the State. The backwoods are not an issue to me.

Just look at the TN forum threads and you can see the difference.

One of my favorite threads is: Going Off Grid in East Tennessee ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

You gotta check it out and start at the beginning. It won't take more than a month to go through all the photos Lisa posted. Really neat.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
THIS is why I like CA... year round

Sick of your landlord, place, neighborhood or roommates? Can't get a place cause you don't want to provide 300 references, show 200K salary and 16-hour work day and willingness to kiss butt? Show a middle finger, grab the tent and you're free! Unlike in other places where you're stuck sucking it up because of horrible weather!

Last edited by alexxiz; 11-07-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Truly a beautiful and interesting state.....great weather for the most part.

I have lived on the west coast most of my life....WA and CA.....they are both great. I have to say I like CA more because of the weather.

Too bad CA is run by INSANE people and has a ton of I****** A*****.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Hi,

Nope,

I have changed computers, internet servers and a host of other computer related things. In the process I lost my original password and even changed email addresses. I posted a great deal on the TN Board before and after moving here. Now it is such a lovely place that posting is now minimal. CA, the State I still "love" continues to be a part of my life due to family, friends and business. I would like for all 3 to see improvement in the State and how it is run. NOT the beauty, but the day to day life there in my parts of the State. The backwoods are not an issue to me.
Typical excuse of many bitter ex Californians that continue to lurk and post here. You either move out, love where you are and never look back OR you stalk n talk to spread your misery to convince themselves that they didn't make a mistake. Those who continuously post in the CA are obviously the latter.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:39 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
I've lived what I refer to as, "The Hotel California Experience." I've tried to check out many times . . . but have never been able to leave.

I started paying attention to that song when I arrived in 1979. My plan was to stay in California a scant few years before migrating back to the east coast. I recall how the lyrics of that song - "You can checkout any time you like, but you may never leave" - would haunt my thinking. Each time I heard those words I'd say to myself, "I hope that doesn't happen to me."

Next month will be 34 years since my arrival. Try as I did - as many a times as I did - I was not able to leave California. The curse (or blessing) of Hotel California gripped me, and has not let go.

Am I a better person or better off as a result? Maybe not. Maybe so.

Regardless, I am thankful for being here, for living here, for the friends I've made, the family I raised; for those who wrongfully or rightfully have given me reason to pause, contemplate and become deeply introspective. For those whose actions (or lack thereof) have forced me corner and question my own beliefs. For those who've proven that Loyal Faithful Friends are closer than blood-family, and are severely few in numbers.

Thank you California. I love it here!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:23 AM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I've lived what I refer to as, "The Hotel California Experience." I've tried to check out many times . . . but have never been able to leave.

I started paying attention to that song when I arrived in 1979. My plan was to stay in California a scant few years before migrating back to the east coast. I recall how the lyrics of that song - "You can checkout any time you like, but you may never leave" - would haunt my thinking. Each time I heard those words I'd say to myself, "I hope that doesn't happen to me."

Next month will be 34 years since my arrival. Try as I did - as many a times as I did - I was not able to leave California. The curse (or blessing) of Hotel California gripped me, and has not let go.

Am I a better person or better off as a result? Maybe not. Maybe so.

Regardless, I am thankful for being here, for living here, for the friends I've made, the family I raised; for those who wrongfully or rightfully have given me reason to pause, contemplate and become deeply introspective. For those whose actions (or lack thereof) have forced me corner and question my own beliefs. For those who've proven that Loyal Faithful Friends are closer than blood-family, and are severely few in numbers.

Thank you California. I love it here!
California is a wonderful place to live. I feel very blessed to have that opportunity.

This state has plenty of problems, but what place doesn't. It has such a rich mix of people, culture, ideas. The place is full of life and for as long as I am able to stay here, perhaps for life, I will always try to appreciate those facts.

I love it here too!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
What's not to like with our nice weather, tasty fish tacos, Mongolian art museums and interracial dating?

It's heaven on earth. Anyone who bashes California is just jealous.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Taking momma to Christmas in the Park. Wouldn't be able to do that without our very mild 12/25 weather this year. Another reason to love CA.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:36 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I live in California and I love:
  • The friendly people
  • The clear blue skis-got no smog
  • The weather, especially when it snows (we have four seasons here)
  • The large areas of forest
  • The uncrowded and open land that I experience everyday
  • The courteous drivers
  • The slow pace of life
  • The lack of heavy traffic
  • That if I forget to lock my car, no worries
  • The affordable housing (median home price in my area just went up to $165K)
  • The great schools in our area
  • The low crime rate
  • The skiing (some of the best in the world)
I could go on, but I'll wrap it up by saying there ain't a palm tree in sight and the closest beach is three hours away (Lake Tahoe).

What do you like about living in CA?

(I've read one too many anti CA posts)
I agree with many of those. However, you are one of the relatively small percentage of Californinas living in an area with low traffic, great schools, and very rare experience of living in a part of the state where you don't have to lock your car. Is the same true for your home? Just curious.

I moved here in the early 70's. People seemed far friendlier in the 70's and 80's. There are still some nice people here, but not as many as then.

I like having relatively easy access to the coast (14 miles from my home). I like that I can be in the Bay Area (South Bay specifically) in about an hour and am 30 minutes or less to the Monterey Peninsula, too. Wineries are close by (they are not all in Napa any more). In short, I am 30 minutes from the Monterey Bay Aquarium/Cannery Row and an hour from the drop of the puck at the other "Shark Tank" in San Jose (NHL Sharks) or a football game at my alma mater San Jose State.

I have some relatively open countryside just two miles from my home.

Having said all that, I won't gamble on leaving the car unlocked or the home unlocked even though I have not experienced being a crime victim.

Thanks for your list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California