U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,900,943 times

Advertisements

I'm moving back to CA from Texas. My car is originally from CA and was registered and titled there. I have the pink slip. I have TX plates and registration but I never bothered titling it here. When I move back, what kind of issues will I have, if any? Well, there are always issues with the CA DMV. I still got to deal with them for two years after moving! Anyways, will this be a pain in the ass? Oh, also, the car is titled in my soon to be ex wife's name but it is now my car. I'd really like to avoid paying for a Texas title only to turn around and retitle and register it in CA.

Can have her sign the pink slip over to me and do a family vehicle transfer, I think it was a $25 fee, and then put it in my name once I'm back in CA? The car is paid off and I need to check the registration as it may be only in her name.

Also, will I have to take the written drivers test again? As much as I hate Texas, the process of transferring everything was very simple.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mr.Bungle; 10-18-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM

23,598 posts, read 34,259,493 times
Good luck. You might want to just call the DMV.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good luck. You might want to just call the DMV.
I'll see if I can spare 2 hours on hold and then deal with four people who don't know. Lol yeah, I'm planning on calling them but hey, city-data is 24/7!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I'll see if I can spare 2 hours on hold and then deal with four people who don't know. Lol yeah, I'm planning on calling them but hey, city-data is 24/7!
And when you finally get there in person they still won't know.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,750,562 times
So California title is valid, in wife's name, and you have a Texas registration-only. Correct?

Have her sign over the title to you, fill out a Statement of Facts concerning the family transfer, and take in the title, Statement of Facts, Texas registration. Fees due are $15 transfer and upcoming registration fees for California. Honestly not sure if you'd have to have the vehicle verified again or not--I'm thinking not.

Make an appointment for both the registration and the driver's license. Maybe someone else here can answer the DL question.

If you want to call and check on this, the new system allows you to leave your name and number and someone will call you back--no more sitting on hold.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM

34,603 posts, read 19,417,642 times
There's a thread on here that might answer your questions regarding what to do when you return to California and need to get a driver's license. Looks like you need to take the written exam, eye test, get a picture taken and pay a $31.00 fee. Good luck dealing with the DMV! It helps tremendously if you schedule an appointment in advance. You can do that online at the DMV website: California Department of Motor Vehicles

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...who-moved.html

Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
So California title is valid, in wife's name, and you have a Texas registration-only. Correct?

Have her sign over the title to you, fill out a Statement of Facts concerning the family transfer, and take in the title, Statement of Facts, Texas registration. Fees due are $15 transfer and upcoming registration fees for California. Honestly not sure if you'd have to have the vehicle verified again or not--I'm thinking not.

Make an appointment for both the registration and the driver's license. Maybe someone else here can answer the DL question.

If you want to call and check on this, the new system allows you to leave your name and number and someone will call you back--no more sitting on hold.
Excellent. Thank you for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
There's a thread on here that might answer your questions regarding what to do when you return to California and need to get a driver's license. Looks like you need to take the written exam, eye test, get a picture taken and pay a $31.00 fee. Good luck dealing with the DMV! It helps tremendously if you schedule an appointment in advance. You can do that online at the DMV website: California Department of Motor Vehicles

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...who-moved.html
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And when you finally get there in person they still won't know.
And they'll be grumpy. Are they still furloughed on Fridays?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Don't know. Retired and left the state over three years ago. Here the licensing and registration process was quick, easy and cheap; pleasant even since the sites are small, efficient contract offices just like our rural post offices.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,750,562 times
Quote:
Still furloughed, but they are now "self-directed" so DMV is again open 5 days a week and most people are there every day. Furlough days are spread out through the month.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 AM

12,470 posts, read 18,614,039 times
I would probably do the title work in Texas and not worry about saving a few bucks. Getting the California title from an out-of-state title is trivial and costs $15. Besides the title issue, this should be straightforward. When I came back to California after ~6 years, I was still in the system and they just reissued me a license. No tests, just a new picture and they invalidated by other license. For the car, they will just confirm that it is certified for CA and you will have to get a smog test.

You should be able to get this done in ~1 hour at the DMV... And I imagine you'll be more grumpy than the workers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California