Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

HI,

I'm moving North from LA to PDX this winter, and am trying to decide which month would be least hazardous to drive a moving truck up through the mountains? My options are late December, late January, or mid to late Feb.
Any ideas?

ps, I was hoping to see some coastal sights, but due to inclement weather I imagine that's out. Plus I'll have the moving truck! I was originally hoping to drive by the coast in No. Cal....is it still a possibility in the winter?

THANKS y'all
Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
I wouldn't want to take a moving truck on Highway 1, which has a lot of twists and turns in northern California, and is a two-lane highway (one lane in each direction) much of the time as well.

February is usually the month we get the most rainstorms, so I wouldn't advise trying to move then. Late December might work (although I remember one Christmas several years ago when it poured!).

Your best bet is to watch the weather forecasts very carefully, and try to go between storms, if necessary. If you take I-5, you're going to need to deal with Siskiyou Summit at 4,310 ft. If there's a storm, you'll probably see snow in that area.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM

671 posts, read 1,189,737 times
Hwy 1 is OUT of the question for you moving van! Put simply, Hwy 1 is a dangerous road for many stretches, even in small car. Aside from unpredictable falling rocks to kill you, is the VERY narrow and VERY tight turns that are just plain unsafe for any vehicle larger than a skateboard. Even camper and motor-homes are just inches from death, falling over the cliff as the shifting weight pulls them down. One has to travel this road to believe it. You may be required to back in reverse for a long stretch winding back in reverse if the road is blocked and you have no other choice, cause there is no way for your moving van to turn around.

However, if you can do it in a car, it really is a once in a lifetime ride. As beautiful as the scenery is, you won't want to take the risk again. Have we made our point about Hwy 1 and moving vans? Unless you are trying to kill yourself.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Save the scenic routes for another time, take the truck up the 5, any month.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
I-5 is your only option in a moving truck---period.

While none of those time frames are optimal, late February would be my choice.

I'd just keep a very close eye on the weather by monitoring websites such as National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report or Weather for Local and International Locations - AccuWeather.com for the latest road conditions.

It's almost a thousand miles between the two cities, so allow at least two days for the entire trip, and if you have to spend two or more nights in a motel on the way due to an outbreak of rough weather, websites such as Wyndham Rewards and Hotel Rooms and Reservations - Choice Hotels - Motels have plenty of moderately priced hotels along the way for you to choose from.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
I'm pretty sure 101 gets really windy north of the Bay Area and adds a lot of hours to the drive...I don't think I-5 has that issue as much.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If you take I-5, you're going to need to deal with Siskiyou Summit at 4,310 ft. If there's a storm, you'll probably see snow in that area.
I've seen snow there, and around Weed.

In April.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I-5 is your only option in a moving truck---period.
No it's not. I once had to deliver a load of store fixtures from Portland to Tucson in a 26-foot Ryder truck in February. I took 5 south, then a low pass over the Coast Range, and finally 101 all the way to LA -- including driving right over the Golden Gate and through San Francisco (probably not the optimal way to traverse the Bay Area, but it sure was pretty). It wasn't a fast trip -- took me 3 1/2 days as I recall -- but there was no snow whatsoever.

At no point does 101 have twisties that even slightly resemble those on Highway 1.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
I5 gives you one low pass, through the Siskiyous, If there is a storm, stop and wait in Redding. If there isn't a storm, no problem. If you have not driven a chained truck in a snow storm, I would advise that you forego the experience.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
No it's not. I once had to deliver a load of store fixtures from Portland to Tucson in a 26-foot Ryder truck in February. I took 5 south, then a low pass over the Coast Range, and finally 101 all the way to LA -- including driving right over the Golden Gate and through San Francisco (probably not the optimal way to traverse the Bay Area, but it sure was pretty). It wasn't a fast trip -- took me 3 1/2 days as I recall -- but there was no snow whatsoever.

At no point does 101 have twisties that even slightly resemble those on Highway 1.
Its not about snow, 101 is an inefficient route to take in anything bigger than an SUV, unless you're making your delivery along the route. It doesn't make sense. 5 is built for trucks. Driving a moving truck is not a vacation - its a A to B affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California