Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

What it means is that as your trying to fill up the educational bath tub with tax water it continues to drain faster than you can fill it up. It's a run away train and the only way to stop it is to blow up a section of track and let it crash.

A buddy of mine works with the one of the largest school districts in California selling them educational materials as a vendor, millions every year. She has insight that none of us ever get to see because of her working directly with all levels of administration and teachers. Her view point is that unless Californian's are willing to purposely crash the current education system and bring it into the 21st century it will crash on it's own by 2025.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 AM

193 posts, read 458,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
much, much, much more difficult to do in government. Unions pay off the politicians and anyone who doesn't go with the union's agenda gets a switch boot to the rear. The unions have alot of financial power as well as influence. That goes along way.

Easier to just screw the tax payer.

Odd you say that, if you actually pay attention to California politics you will notice that Unions use membership dues money to financially support the very same politicians that are voting on paycuts, unpaid days off, pension contribution spikes to members and layoffs... this is why a majority of the state employees I have come across are voting YES on 32 because they are tired of their own money being used AGAINST THEM.

The voter guides the unions send out also endorse the very same politicians that are cutting wages and benefits, state employees may not be the smartest bunch, but they aren't THAT dumb.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post
Odd you say that, if you actually pay attention to California politics you will notice that Unions use membership dues money to financially support the very same politicians that are voting on paycuts, unpaid days off, pension contribution spikes to members and layoffs... this is why a majority of the state employees I have come across are voting YES on 32 because they are tired of their own money being used AGAINST THEM.

The voter guides the unions send out also endorse the very same politicians that are cutting wages and benefits, state employees may not be the smartest bunch, but they aren't THAT dumb.
Dang it! Where did I miss that we were supposed to be dumb? Was that on the job description? Oh, wait a minute! We retired some years ago. The way things are going now, perhaps we were among the smart ones. Glad we dodged that bullet!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
Funny, I'm a State employee and everyone I know/work with is voting AGAINST 32, Yes on 30, and yes on A

Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM

880 posts, read 1,416,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post

As long as the Union bosses get their fat paychecks and perks and exercise power, they won't care about the members.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM

50,332 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Funny, I'm a State employee and everyone I know/work with is voting AGAINST 32, Yes on 30, and yes on A
shocking

Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
...Though I didn't vote for Prop 30, I'd be hard pressed to support the sentiment that the money goes to teacher pensions. If the payment for pensions is identical with or without Prop 30 passing, then that means the funds must go to something else.

I see your point, but I think going forward we must start to view things usually considered as "givens" or "fixed costs" (pension contributions) instead as variable costs subject to modification.

The original contracts that created the teacher pension "given" should be considered invalid as it was not an arms-length negotiation.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

I see your point, but I think going forward we must start to view things usually considered as "givens" or "fixed costs" (pension contributions) instead as variable costs subject to modification.
We also need to get rid of the idea that a decrease in the rate of increase is "slashing the budget" in government.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
shocking

right? Who'd a thunk that teachers at a public university would vote this way? Madness!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What it means is that as your trying to fill up the educational bath tub with tax water it continues to drain faster than you can fill it up. It's a run away train and the only way to stop it is to blow up a section of track and let it crash.

A buddy of mine works with the one of the largest school districts in California selling them educational materials as a vendor, millions every year. She has insight that none of us ever get to see because of her working directly with all levels of administration and teachers. Her view point is that unless Californian's are willing to purposely crash the current education system and bring it into the 21st century it will crash on it's own by 2025.
I agree with this.

[a radical problem requires a radical solution]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California