Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

I see your point, but I think going forward we must start to view things usually considered as "givens" or "fixed costs" (pension contributions) instead as variable costs subject to modification.

The original contracts that created the teacher pension "given" should be considered invalid as it was not an arms-length negotiation.
Legally those contracts can only be changed if both parties agree. Now how many retired employees do you think will give up their retirement dollars? All that can be done now is change the pensions for those not yet retired.The debt that exists will have to be paid as the State cannot go into bankruptcy to get them changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Is anyone able to show that teacher pensions are any greater than what they paid in? I do not think that there are any other monies that go into teacher pensions other than what they pay in.
I may be wrong, show me.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Legally those contracts can only be changed if both parties agree. Now how many retired employees do you think will give up their retirement dollars? All that can be done now is change the pensions for those not yet retired.The debt that exists will have to be paid as the State cannot go into bankruptcy to get them changed.
I have to wonder if they can't be changed because of the government angle?

In private industry... changes happen all the time.

A very good friend retired after a career as an Airline Pilot for a major airline.

Airline went through bankruptcy and the pension he was promised in writing and counting on was eventually reduced to 50 cents on the dollar by the court.

I know others that had pensions in utility companies that were decimated when Enron took over and later collapsed.

So, I would say regulators through the courts can and do change contracts without any agreement.

Lots of talk right now about CALPERS, San Bernardino... most of the what is being said says we are headed into uncharted territory.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have to wonder if they can't be changed because of the government angle?

In private industry... changes happen all the time.

A very good friend retired after a career as an Airline Pilot for a major airline.

Airline went through bankruptcy and the pension he was promised in writing and counting on was eventually reduced to 50 cents on the dollar by the court.

I know others that had pensions in utility companies that were decimated when Enron took over and later collapsed.

So, I would say regulators through the courts can and do change contracts without any agreement.

Lots of talk right now about CALPERS, San Bernardino... most of the what is being said says we are headed into uncharted territory.
Businesses and City's can file for bankruptcy and have contracts changed or even nullified. However no State can file bankruptcy as far as I know. They MUST honor the contracts unless both parties agree to a change.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Is anyone able to show that teacher pensions are any greater than what they paid in? I do not think that there are any other monies that go into teacher pensions other than what they pay in.
I may be wrong, show me.
They pay part and the system pays a part. The system is us tax payers and we pay a LARGE part.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
They pay part and the system pays a part. The system is us tax payers and we pay a LARGE part.
And they determine the worker's contribution based on unrealistically optimistic investment returns. So the employee pays less than they should and the taxpayer makes up the difference because its a defined benefit plan.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
We also need to get rid of the idea that a decrease in the rate of increase is "slashing the budget" in government.
the above is correct. There are no cuts... just a decrease in the increase. It's still an increase.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Businesses and City's can file for bankruptcy and have contracts changed or even nullified. However no State can file bankruptcy as far as I know. They MUST honor the contracts unless both parties agree to a change.
That's where the rub is... States can't print money so short of selling state lands their is little the State has of value...

The population is free to leave so saying an absolute obligation exists is fine... as long as it is not impossible to perform.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
You did not answer my question. You merely stated information with no facts to back it up. It is my understanding that teacher pensions are fully funded by the teachers with no additional money added, as I said, show me i am wrong. Simply telling me what you think is not showing anyone anything.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I may be wrong, show me.
AHEM! You ain't from Missouri!

Quote:
CalSTRS sources of funds

Teachers and administrators pay 8% of their annual salary into the CalSTRS system, approximately $2 billion each year. School districts contribute 8.25%, about $2.2 billion. The state of California makes two annual payments of 2.017% and 2.5%, approximately $1.2 billion a year. Total income amounts to about $22 billion.
Read more: California public pensions - Sunshine Review

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-27-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California