Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times

Advertisements

The La Panza Range east of Atascadero was also the site of a minor gold rush, in the long ago. The Spanish also pulled gold out of the San Gabriels or that vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,340,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I have also driven Nacimiento-Fergusson Road Rd. headed up that way which has amazing views, especially in the Spring with wildflowers blooming on the slopes.
I absolutely love that rugged drive. Most people who travel along Big Sur are not even aware of that road but it gives great views of the ocean and it's one of the few places along the Big Sur coast where you can drive right to the top of the crest from the coast. When I first drove there over 20 years ago you could drive down the other side to Ft Hunter Liggett, but I believe the gate at the border of the military reservation may be closed to public access now. Anyway, I loved just getting out at turnoffs there and hiking the hillsides and there were never any crowds. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them and bringing back good memories.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I absolutely love that rugged drive. Most people who travel along Big Sur are not even aware of that road but it gives great views of the ocean and it's one of the few places along the Big Sur coast where you can drive right to the top of the crest from the coast. When I first drove there over 20 years ago you could drive down the other side to Ft Hunter Liggett, but I believe the gate at the border of the military reservation may be closed to public access now. Anyway, I love just getting out at turnoffs there and hiking the hillsides and there were never any crowds. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them and bringing back good memories.
The gates are open and not manned, no problem driving through, do give the M1 Abrams the right of way.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 PM

493 posts, read 780,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
KC6ZLV, great hike story! That's one of the hikes I haven't done yet but plan to.

I have shot Cone Peak with snow on it from sea level. Its pretty amazing to see from the base in the Winter when the conditions are like this. I don't know of anywhere else on the West Coast where you can see snowy peaks from the ocean.

Ive seen snow on the peaks southeast of monterey, when surfing @ lovers point

its fairly common up in the shelter cove/lost coast area too.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM

8,193 posts, read 16,610,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
Ive seen snow on the peaks southeast of monterey, when surfing @ lovers point

its fairly common up in the shelter cove/lost coast area too.
Yeah, I've seen Mt. Toro with snow on it also. Though I don't consider it a true mountain @ 3500' like I do Cone Peak. Still its cool to see it get snow occasionally. From our home I can actually see Mt. Toro to the east and the ocean to the west.

I've surfed up in the Fort Bragg area in the Winter while staying at a buddies place in Ukiah. In the AM while driving over the mountains to the coast we hit snow on the road. Though I couldn't really see it from the coast while out surfing. But man was that water COLD that chilly Winter morning!!!!

Derek

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,643,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The gates are open and not manned, no problem driving through, do give the M1 Abrams the right of way.
I thought the ascending party always got the right of way? You're saying it's different when one of the parties is a tank?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I thought the ascending party always got the right of way? You're saying it's different when one of the parties is a tank?
Well, as all sailors know, a sailboat has the right of way over a super tanker.

Sometimes there is "right" and then there is "smart"

Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 AM

24 posts, read 55,585 times
Default Top of the mountains

Hey MtnSurfer and .highnlite - great pics and posts. Just got back (to good ol' Fullerton) from Big Sur. As many times as I've been up there, your pics, MtnSurfer, of the ridgetops and views from up there made me realize I haven't seen much of anything in that area yet. Like most people, I've never wandered too far off Hwy 1, except a nice 10 mile hike nearly to the hot springs off the Big Sur River. Didn't even know there were springs there until I got back to Fernwood and one of the other guests told me about them. You can imagine my "D'OH!" moment when I realized I had turned around maybe 100 yeards from the springs. Anyhow, thanks for making me want to turn around and head right back up there... and this time hit the high country. I'd ask about whether one can drive up Coast Ridge Road from behind Ventana, but that might be, ummm, classified info...

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the compliment, the hot springs, are hot, and scenic, but generally trashy. I once found a mattress there, some clown had hiked the sucker in...

The Coast Ridge road is gated, if you want to get up there, volunteer with the Condor Recovery people or the Anderson Peak Observatory people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California