Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I live on the East Coast, born and raised in Philly
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Philly is a complete crap hole. We're talking ghetto of the worst sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We sort of are. We're reminded of it when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic behind some dude with an "I LOVE NY" sticker on his car or at a mets at Dodgers game or yankees at Angels game.
Yeah, because no one back east rocks love for other states via stickers, jerseys, flags, etc.. I think people in CA just cry about it more.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
That is so bizarre to me. I would think that most Californians/West Coast people would be constantly annoyed by the relentless East Coast bias.
Maybe living here is enough compensation? Personally, I have more important things to get agita over than East Coast news bias.

Quote:
Meanwhile I have yet to hear of one mention of the Giants series win or parade, or the USC shootings, or any other West Coast news.

It seems to me that every time I turn on CNN or FOX or whatever, there's never talk about West Coast news.
Why should that bother us?

Quote:
And the fact that the morning shows are tape delayed and not broadcast live on the West Coast is really unfair, I think.
I don't know anyone who watches those idiotic morning shows, so once again, I'm failing to see a problem here.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Yes they are idiotic, but it's the principle of the thing that bothers me. And I don't even LIVE on the West Coast!

It's true, everything is "EST, check local listings for your zone" etc. That is just F-ed up.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes they are idiotic, but it's the principle of the thing that bothers me. And I don't even LIVE on the West Coast!

It's true, everything is "EST, check local listings for your zone" etc. That is just F-ed up.
Honestly, there are much larger things to be upset about.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Yeah, because no one back east rocks love for other states via stickers, jerseys, flags, etc.. I think people in CA just cry about it more.
For every one person that moved from CA to NY there are 69 hundred who moved to NY from CA.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I have lived in many, many places so I don't think that's a fair statement. Yes, some transplants in CA make comparisons to what they know back home, but so do transplants in every other city I've ever lived in.
It's a very fair statement. People transplanted from NYC are famous in So Cal for endless and annoying chest puffery about where they're from. I long ago reached the point where I immediately shut someone down as soon as I hear that accent accompanying words such as these: "Bayek home, we do it dis way" or "You call dis pizzer?"

After a few decades of it, "tiresome" comes to mind.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:

most shows seems to now say "10 Eastern, 7 Pacific" or something along those lines. the mountain west and midwest regions are the one that are really screwed, if they really care at all.

as for east coast media bias, the only time i really notice it is during sports coverage. however that is changing now that laker season has started.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For every one person that moved from CA to NY there are 69 hundred who moved to NY from CA.
Good point, and actually ties to what I was going to say. Since so many people in CA are transplants, well, you may have more people having things back home to make reference to (but it happens in all states). But by all means, if someone keeps doing it, just tell them (nicely) that it's annoying and move on.

Complaining about their complaining just adds to the complaining.

And I don't know about you folks, but people that complain a lot drive me batty, so I tend to avoid them. If people that talk about their home annoy you, avoid them. Either way, complaining about them won't make them go away. CA is loaded with transplants. Take it for what it is.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Ok there Ann Landers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California