Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
I love SLO but they absolutely do have a mall that used to be a traditional mall but was changed years ago to more of an outdoor strip mall with many of the same stores you would find at any other mall. Combine with that, downtown has many of the same chain stores you would find in any other mall, and there is a Target and Costco on Los Osos Valley road. I guess spreading those out is enough to trick some people. I like Target more than Walmart, but I don't understand the smugness that follows the hatred of Walmart. There is also or was a Walmart nearby in Arroyo Grande.

SLO is a great town that I would love to move back to someday but what makes SLO great isn't the absence of a mall or Walmart.
You must not post here very often. My post was a friendly mock of some people's constant lamenting on the lack of shopping in the area, especially the lack of a Macy's, which is usually found at traditional malls. And yes, I hate WalMart and rarely have the need to shop there. I feel like I'm walking through a sea of useless junk just to find the shampoo. If it's smug to hate all that Made in China crap, then call me smug. I'm fine with that.

I think one of the best things about the area is that it was so easy to get around. We even drove during 5:00 rush hour and had no problems. And the ocean is so close, and so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
So, are there any negatives if you don't need to have a job to live there?
Job or not...
1) you'll need a steady and hefty income to maintain
2) you'll need a seriously large chunk of cash to buy in

If you have the $400-600,000 in cold hard cash needed to buy an OK home* outright and the
income to pay the taxes and afford all the other "lifestyle" type costs of coastal living...
SLO is the greatest place on earth. The **minute** I win the lottery I'm moving in.

A sampling of OK homes nearby

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Curmudgeon ain't really country, he is a City boy. He just has a double wide in Missouri, sort of a Hillbilly affectation. The pure hillbillies in the Ozarks just got singlewides

I am not only country, I am cheap, we go to the fair and walk around while Taylor Swift etc plays their little hearts out, we can hear em good!
I love Carrie Underwood...

Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM

168 posts, read 554,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you have the $400-600,000 in cold hard cash needed to buy an OK home* outright and the
income to pay the taxes and afford all the other "lifestyle" type costs of coastal living...
SLO is the greatest place on earth. The **minute** I win the lottery I'm moving in.
Or you pinch your penny's and do without. We don't have much savings or money for big ticket items, but i am sure most people would trade places with me in a heartbeat for living in San Luis (especially the location )

Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Or you pinch your penny's and do without.
In your teens and twenties? Sure! But I read the OP as asking about being actual adults.
Although I suppose "if you don't need to have a job" could mean trustafarian types too.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Job or not...

Funny thing, My good friend 6 months ago, bought 7 acres, 2400 square foot home, 6 car garage, for $300,00

Remember, whether you think you can, or you can't, you are right.

I am an old retired guy on a meagre out of state pension, I done be right happy living here in the Shire.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Man you're more country than Curmudgeon lol
Mi Casa!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Job or not...

Some of those homes that have about $486,000 asking price now, sold for about $40,000 years ago.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, we are adults who are retired (although pretty young) and we will have about $600K cash for a house and a steady income. I think we will definitely be making the move. SLO is a sweet place and just so gorgeous. We really couldn't find anything not to like.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, we are adults who are retired (although pretty young) and we will have about $600K cash for a house and a steady income. I think we will definitely be making the move. SLO is a sweet place and just so gorgeous. We really couldn't find anything not to like.
A good post, kinda negates the naysayers. You will settle in here, wander down to Thursday night Farmers Market, eat fresh fish at Port San Luis or Morro Bay, get apples at See Canyon, join a vinyard wine club, enjoy the sunsets, a great life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California