Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It looks like 30 passed, that Californians still care about their children's education, and the wing nuts will no doubt cry but never wonder why they always lose. That would require hard self reflection and that's just not something the wing nuts like to do.
The nuts who lack the ability to think for themselves and whose narrow view of the world is severely limited by partisan, political ideology voted it in. Little, if any, will go directly to schools because it was never designed to do so. The same hands will be out again in two to four years with the same whining and crying that it's for the children. In the end, all this has done is give the legislature billions of dollars more to waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The nuts who lack the ability to think for themselves and whose narrow view of the world is severely limited by partisan, political ideology voted it in. Little, if any, will go directly to schools because it was never designed to do so. The same hands will be out again in two to four years with the same whining and crying that it's for the children. In the end, all this has done is give the legislature billions of dollars more to waste.
Time to go back and revamp your conservative viewpoint... What is best for old white males is not the direction the country decided to go...

Sure lots of problems in prop 30, no I do not think enough goes to student education... But you want to protect pensions yes? (At least yours??)

IMO the young American voters have a surprise in store for you soon... I bet they will default on all state employee pensions... Seriously the boomers are dragging down the young...

Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Time to go back and revamp your conservative viewpoint... What is best for old white males is not the direction the country decided to go...

Sure lots of problems in prop 30, no I do not think enough goes to student education... But you want to protect pensions yes? (At least yours??)

IMO the young American voters have a surprise in store for you soon... I bet they will default on all state employee pensions... Seriously the boomers are dragging down the young...
Hate to disappoint you but I don't have a "conservative viewpoint." What I do have is an educated and experienced viewpoint after having spent the better part of 20 years working in the political and legislative environment of California. I'll put that up against partisan ideology any day.

As to the matter of pensions, of course I would like to see the state fulfill its promise to me and others who are already retired. That should be a moral imperative but if the state decides to renege on its contractual obligation, so be it. If nothing else, that would be proof positive that it cannot be trusted with anything and that includes any more of your money and the rest of the taxpayer's.

So in the end, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, enjoy paying more while probably getting less and I'm sure you'll have ample opportunity to vote for further increases in taxation in the very near future. Enjoy!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Curmudgeon,

It's hard to know who we talk to online. The other poster could be a student going to school while receiving welfare or financial aid, or a parent with 6 kids in public schools, or a school employee. These are folks who think they gain if prop 30 passes.

Commonsense and reason won't work here.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It looks like 30 passed, that Californians still care about their children's education, and the wing nuts will no doubt cry but never wonder why they always lose. That would require hard self reflection and that's just not something the wing nuts like to do.
Well, duh, how do you think they were decieved into passing this? They'll have their hands out again next election. When will you learn?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Curmudgeon,

It's hard to know who we talk to online. The other poster could be a student going to school while receiving welfare or financial aid, or a parent with 6 kids in public schools, or a school employee. These are folks who think they gain if prop 30 passes.

Commonsense and reason won't work here.
Don't get it do you? You sound very selfish with your post! WOW

For the record, I am late 40's tail end of the baby boom gen.. Self employed farmer with a wife working taking care of the elderly, and two kids in public school.. We are rural people... We should fit the Republican demographic but we do not...

We simply have the belief that people should come together and support one another when needed... If that means making a sacrifice via taxes, then so be it..

We are in this together, it is not always about my bottom line or bank account...

You have a few years to rethink your position... Possibly a slightly less selfish one is in order..

Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
I just notice that your location is Wisconsin Northwoods. I take that you don't live in CA. You won't be paying the increased sale and income taxes Californians will be subjected to under prop 30. How are you "in this" together? You have two kids in public school. Are they in public school in CA? If that's the case, I guess you are "in this" to see prop 30 passed.

And please don't play that "if you are not for this, then you are a selfish person" nonsense.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And here's another showing that small class sizes (which are more expensive) don't necessarily mean kids learn more:

Conventional wisdom says the smaller the classes, the better the education, because teachers can pay more attention to each child. But while smaller classes are popular, decades of research has found that the relationship between class size and student outcomes is murky.

But I'm sure the true believers will say this is just more right wing propaganda.

Class sizes are getting bigger, but does it really matter? - USATODAY.com
When I was in public school, an average class was 30 students, but 31 or 32 was not uncommon, (and study halls could be 10x that size). Somehow this terrible overcrowding and "lack of individual attention" did little to harm us. In fact, my teachers all knew each student as an individual, and taught each student according to their needs.

And then I went to college and found myself in classes of 100 to 300 students. Somehow we all managed to learn (and at an accelerated pace, compared to our prior years), despite this overwhelming handicap.

I suspect this has a great deal to do with the fact that at both levels, we were disciplined students -- fannies in the seats, eyes forward, and mouths shut unless we had something to say about the subject being taught ... and more so, that the biggest goad toward good performance was PEER PRESSURE. If you were used to getting A's, it was embarrassing to be seen with a B!!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
In Japan and S.Korean, many teachers make over 80k+ a year, but the class room is alot bigger. Students have to clean their own class room and school. gov't spent less money and teachers make more money. Students have better grades.

http://www.ncee.org/programs-affilia...cipal-quality/

Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
In Japan and S.Korean, alot of teachers make over 100k a year, but the class room is alot bigger. Students have to clean their own class room and school. gov't spent less money and teachers make more money. Students have better grades.
Don't you pay for both private and public secondary school in Japan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California