Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,307 times

Advertisements

This is hypothetical as I just want to understand how the system works... I was mentioning to someone that if I was poor and had nothing that I would receive $200/mo. in food stamps and other welfare benefits. They mentioned to me that I would receive nothing as one needs to have children to receive food stamps and that it is extremely difficult to qualify for welfare benefits even if you are poor. I thought that did not sound correct.

Say, tomorrow I decide to burn through all my assets by spending lavishly till everything is gone but $1900 left in my checking account, then I sit on my behind on a couch and apply for government assistance, is the following true?

I can get food stamps of $200 monthly and other types of "welfare" including subsidized housing.
I can get MediCAL which is free health insurance coverage

What else can I milk out of the system? Can I get a monthly government stipend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Good for you! Reach for the stars!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM

193 posts, read 458,503 times
You have to submit a quarterly report so anything on your statements for the last 3 months will raise suspicions so just put your money in one of your baby daddys accounts. Then apply for all the free bennys you want, the state just flushed itself with more cash as a result of prop 30 so you should beat the other suck **** to the punch and get to the front of the line while the gravy train is still handing out taxpayer subsidized lifestyles by the truckload. I know of people who receive much more than $200 a month in EBT, so much more that they can't even use it and they end up selling the rest to other people for half the price so you could conceivably supplement your free income with more free income on the side like that. It's also important that you fail to better yourself in any way, i.e do not attend school or anything else that way you can play the "I'm a victim of societal circumstance I'm not qualified for anything but a free check", then bump bone thugs in harmony "1st of that month" and drop that pay-pa at food for less cause it's all about that gummint check playa. HOLLA

Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You can look online and see what the requirements are to qualify for different programs. You can also see exactly what those "benefits" are and aren't. You probably won't get subsidized houseing without being on a waitlist for a good long time and when you do you may not want to live there.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM

109 posts, read 168,161 times
If you have children you can get the welfare for a year I think.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
You could apply for general relief, which might get you a lavish $250 per month, depending on where you live. Here's the info for LA County.

General Relief

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
You know what? I support assistance for those who need it. Not so sure if I can agree with what you're doing. Try to see if your county has some sort of other assistance you can use. Some have job training and HUD programs.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
This is hypothetical as I just want to understand how the system works... I was mentioning to someone that if I was poor and had nothing that I would receive $200/mo. in food stamps and other welfare benefits. They mentioned to me that I would receive nothing as one needs to have children to receive food stamps and that it is extremely difficult to qualify for welfare benefits even if you are poor. I thought that did not sound correct.

Say, tomorrow I decide to burn through all my assets by spending lavishly till everything is gone but $1900 left in my checking account, then I sit on my behind on a couch and apply for government assistance, is the following true?

I can get food stamps of $200 monthly and other types of "welfare" including subsidized housing.
I can get MediCAL which is free health insurance coverage

What else can I milk out of the system? Can I get a monthly government stipend?
Ya know, here is how it works. (I work for Social services) Ya don't need kids to get FS. Other forms of Welfare-cash aide yes.

No stipend for you, unless you are certified as disabled per the Social Security regulations. No Medi-Cal either unless certified or have kids under 18 and meet a few other qualifications. And...........you have be a legal resident. Not some illegal.

Subsidized housing, well yea if you don't mind a three year waiting list.

And they got this "spend down rule". Ya can't just pizz your assests away to qualify.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM

109 posts, read 168,161 times
That's what I should have said-cash assistance you must have children.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ya know, here is how it works. (I work for Social services) Ya don't need kids to get FS. Other forms of Welfare-cash aide yes.

No stipend for you, unless you are certified as disabled per the Social Security regulations. No Medi-Cal either unless certified or have kids under 18 and meet a few other qualifications. And...........you have be a legal resident. Not some illegal.

Subsidized housing, well yea if you don't mind a three year waiting list.

And they got this "spend down rule". Ya can't just pizz your assests away to qualify.

I hope that helps.
The real question the OP seems to be asking is, How easy is it? Contrary to what seems to be prevailing belief, it's not. Unless you can go through the rigmarole and months or years of waiting and filing and refiling and questions and follow-ups and interviews. Qualifying for assistance isn't walking into an office and coming out with a check. But if you wanna squander your money to prove that's how it works, well go ahead, but what have you won?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California