Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times

Advertisements

Getting rid of the zoning codes and worst-in-the-nation land restrictions would do wonders for making it much easier for many more people to be able to afford to live here, but good luck with that as long as environmental extremists such as Governor Moonbeam are running the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
there are plenty of jobs in the oilfields and as laborer.
Those are very hard labor intense jobs & you best be in excellent health & not a slacker. The pay is decent.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
People say you cannot get any house in California for under $500,000 . Why is that ? Why are homes so costly?

Reality check, First sentence is not nearly accurate, second two? Basic economics, well worth understanding, High demand = high price

Also why is 15% of the people have no jobs and cannot find work in California ? If it was not for the out of control California debt could they do some thing to get people jobs.

There is a serious labor shortage in agriculture
Quote:
Those are very hard labor intense jobs & you best be in excellent health & not a slacker. The pay is decent.
Modern oil extraction requires, in addition to laborers, those with computer skills, the pay is great, and the worker sits in an air conditioned office.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The OP isn't particularly concerned with reality--I think he is more interested in the perception of things than how they really are, or something he read once. Obviously the perception of many is that California is terribly expensive, and if they don't bother to learn the reasons why California is such a desirable place and why our state budget works the way it does (or doesn't), it will continue to be confusing. Hopefully sweat209 will be able to read enough to educate himself--I know his English is a little weak which makes written explanations a little harder to transmit.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing California. But at one time I wanted to move to LA or around the LA area but I read so much that the price of homes so costly in LA and California , and California has very high debt and costly and people living so close together . Look the state of California has more people living in that small state than more people in Canada !!

Last edited by sweat209; 11-14-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Modern oil extraction requires, in addition to laborers, those with computer skills, the pay is great, and the worker sits in an air conditioned office.
So are there a lot of homes in LA for under $300,000 ?

Has California always had high debt or is this only in the past 10 years or so? Why does California have such high debt.

I know there is a lot of California bashing on the internet but just trying to find out some facts here on it.Some bashing I read is like why would anyone want to live in California it too costly and unemployment is very high and some places 10% people have no jobs.

But if there is a lot homes in California in the $150,000 to $300,000 range that is not in the ghetto and good area than that is not bad being the state of California is small with all those people when you look at Canada or other states in the US being it is very populated state in the US.

Canada population of approximately 33.4 million as of 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada

population 37,691,912 (2011 est )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California

Last edited by sweat209; 11-14-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Try running a grammar checker.

The complainers will complain, normal people will enjoy life, that goes pretty much anywhere. If you want to know real estate prices in a particular area, they are easy to find.

My anecdote, a friend just bought a 2400 sq ft house, 8 car garage, 7.5 acres, San Luis Obispo County, he did not whine or complain, he went shopping.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Do not feed the Troll, folks.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing California. But at one time I wanted to move to LA or around the LA area but I read so much that the price of homes so costly in LA and California , and California has very high debt and costly and people living so close together . Look the state of California has more people living in that small state than more people in Canada !!
I'm not really sure whether you're actually trolling here or really just don't know much about this state. CA is almost 800 miles long from north to south and is roughly 250 miles from east to west in most places. It's land area covers almost twice the land area of all of Great Britain. It's not exactly a "small" state. You really should visit instead of getting all your information from the internet and T.V.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm not really sure whether you're actually trolling here or really just don't know much about this state. CA is almost 800 miles long from north to south and is roughly 250 miles from east to west in most places. It's land area covers almost twice the land area of all of Great Britain. It's not exactly a "small" state. You really should visit instead of getting all your information from the internet and T.V.
Well yes compared to to the world Canada , US , Russia ,China and Brazil are monstrous in size and states or provinces are bigger than most countries so this exemple is not good !!! Got that .

To compare the US or the state in US to world is bad exemple got that. That why just compare it to Canada . In the state of California they have more people than the big monstrous country Canada in terms of size of the land.

I will allow the locals here to say how much the land is flat to build homes or cities in California with out making other wrong statements.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Sweat209, is English your second language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California