Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

As a former cop and one who spent his last 20 years dealing with forensic issues legislatively, I can tell you that three strikes, Jessica's Law and the many other "well-intentioned," tough on crime laws were passed more to make certain members of the Legislature look good than to actually accomplish something reasonable. Most of them were ill-conceived, badly written and all too obviously far more costly than the public was informed of. There were holes in all of them you can drive a Mack truck through. And even though I and others pointed these things out to the governor and the legislature, it made no difference. Now, years later, what we knew would ultimately occur has done so and the taxpayers are on the hook for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As a former cop and one who spent his last 20 years dealing with forensic issues legislatively, I can tell you that three strikes, Jessica's Law and the many other "well-intentioned," tough on crime laws were passed more to make certain members of the Legislature look good than to actually accomplish something reasonable. Most of them were ill-conceived, badly written and all too obviously far more costly than the public was informed of. There were holes in all of them you can drive a Mack truck through. And even though I and others pointed these things out to the governor and the legislature, it made no difference. Now, years later, what we knew would ultimately occur has done so and the taxpayers are on the hook for it.
When the three strikes law was first passed, I thought "wow great idea". I have an uncle retired from Oakland Police. He said pretty much what you just did; that it wasn't designed to actually fight crime.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
When the three strikes law was first passed, I thought "wow great idea". I have an uncle retired from Oakland Police. He said pretty much what you just did; that it wasn't designed to actually fight crime.
It was passed more to keep the all powerful CCPOA (prison union) happy than for any reduction in crime. They have us by the balls to the tune of eight BILLION dollars a year- more than we spend for all higher education in this state. Thankfully, the voters at least brought the law back in line (violent offenses) with every other state that has similar laws. There has been no proof whatsoever that the overall reduction in crime has anything to do with the three strikes law.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM

193 posts, read 458,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It was passed more to keep the all powerful CCPOA (prison union) happy than for any reduction in crime. They have us by the balls to the tune of eight BILLION dollars a year- more than we spend for all higher education in this state.
CDCR Budget 7.8% of overall budget ($2 billion is inmate medical care), Higher Education 7.1%, a 7/10ths difference and considering employee costs are a small sliver of the $10 billion CDCR budget I think it's just a slight exaggeration on your part to suggest that prison guards are costing the state $8 billion dollars a year considering that "prison guards" are only one of the classifications of employees employed by CDCR, the cost is significantly less.

Quote:
There has been no proof whatsoever that the overall reduction in crime has anything to do with the three strikes law.
Quote:
What has happened is nothing less than miraculous. In 1993 California had the fourth-highest crime rate in the United States. Within just four years of three strikes, California went from the fourth highest to the 29th highest. Three strikes has cut our rates in half and has kept them there. This drop was not only historic, it has provided a new freedom for the people who live in California. Everyone, whether they like three strikes or not, has only one-half the chance of being the victim of a violent crime because of the three-strikes law.
Viewpoints: Should voters modify '3-strikes' law? No - Viewpoints - The Sacramento Bee
Crime across the board was climbing, what happened in 1993? hmmmm... all of a sudden a decline year after year in all categories not just violent crime.

California Crime Rates 1960 - 2011

You can surely find articles that will say it had no effect, or even raised it or caused people to turn homosexual...whatever, the point is once you remove serious consequences to serious crimes you have removed a deterrent and you will reap what you sow, you get what you ask for... crime is up since the implementation of AB109 across the state, tell me again how removing consequences reduced crime?

Viewpoints: Should voters modify '3-strikes' law? No - Viewpoints - The Sacramento Bee

Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think it's safe to start packing, or packing up and getting out.

California plans to drop warrants for some parole violators - latimes.com
Only in CALI-corn-hole-you

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It matter of time before the three strikes law is done away from it costing them way too much money and prison overcrowding. And too many people in for life or long prison term for non violent crime.

I have no sympathy for repeat inmates that get out prison and kill or rape again give them life sentence But there no reason DUI ,drug , theft, fraud and shoplifting is getting long prison terms for misdemeanor cases.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I have no sympathy for repeat inmates that get out prison and kill or rape again give them life sentence But there no reason DUI ,drug , theft, fraud and shoplifting is getting long prison terms for misdemeanor cases.
say that when YOUR car gets stolen taken to a chop shop, stripped and dumped, when YOUR house gets broken into and ransacked, when YOUR checking account gets emptied by fraud, come back then...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post
say that when YOUR car gets stolen taken to a chop shop, stripped and dumped, when YOUR house gets broken into and ransacked, when YOUR checking account gets emptied by fraud, come back then...
Putting people in Jail , getting more cops on the street , tough laws is not going to help if area is poor or people can't get jobs and have to turn to crime to support one self.It better to get to the root of the problem.

Also I be more upset if middle class kid broke into my house than some one making less than $25,000 a year.

Yes some people do crime just because they are selfish most do because they are poor.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Putting people in Jail , getting more cops on the street , tough laws is not going to help if area is poor or people can't get jobs and have to turn to crime to support one self.It better to get to the root of the problem.

Also I be more upset if middle class kid broke into my house than some one making less than $25,000 a year.

Yes some people do crime just because they are selfish most do because they are poor.
You can expect more of this then, have fun with realignment.

Parolees avoiding GPS pose a danger, agents, victims say | News - KCRA Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California