Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
ahhh,

Any way, how about some good ole fashioned California style "peace and love"
Because that really started with the Flower Child movement of the 60's and those who started it are now retiring baby Boomers and being dissed by so many for their years of experience and insightful points about the current political mess.

Look at how many blame the baby Boomers for being selfish, etc.

Where is the peace and love baby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
...voting the same politicians back in office driving the state even further into the ground than it already is.
Who would've ever thought Mary Bono Mack would have been voted out?
Republican losses show Inland Empire's political shift - latimes.com

Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
I was born and raised here, and am completely fine with people deciding to leave CA. The way I see it, there is a constant flow out, and a constant flow in. Its just always been that way, probably since 1850. The thing is, you would think those who leave would be content with their new place without having to bash CA and those who choose to stay, and the truth of the matter is that its those of us who live here get bashed the most. This is the state that made so many of technological advancements we now take for granted. So yes, there are many incredibly smart people here. This is also the state where many were born and raised, but also where people born and raised in other U.S. states, or in countries outside of the U.S. can come and feel completely welcomed. Yes, when the world is literally on your doorstep, it gets pretty diverse, and for some, crowded. The beautiful thing about that for those of us born and raised here, is that I can get the opportunity to meet people from many different places and know that we are more similar than we are different. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Yeah some places here are expensive, and so are other states outside of CA. There are affordable areas here, where people can buy nice homes in nice neighborhoods. A balanced perspective would be nice.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We left 20 years ago and enjoy going back to visit family and friends or for vacations, last summer a week at Lake Tahoe. There's nothing like it here and we used to go every year when we lived in the Bay Area. I am not likely to consider moving back but that doesn't mean that I don't have great memories of growing up, college, getting married and having our kids there. I have been to all but about 6 states at one time or another and consider all 3 on the west coast to be the best. WA, OR and CA all have their problems but are still worth it to live there. I just happen to like the rain, cooler summers and green all year.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We left 20 years ago and enjoy going back to visit family and friends or for vacations, last summer a week at Lake Tahoe. There's nothing like it here and we used to go every year when we lived in the Bay Area. I am not likely to consider moving back but that doesn't mean that I don't have great memories of growing up, college, getting married and having our kids there. I have been to all but about 6 states at one time or another and consider all 3 on the west coast to be the best. WA, OR and CA all have their problems but are still worth it to live there. I just happen to like the rain, cooler summers and green all year.
Must be Western WA...

If I ever do move... I think it would be Nevada side near Tahoe or Western Washington.

I'm just not a hot weather person and I do like the outdoors.

How do your California born kids compare Washington to California?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
When we moved here my son was 5. It had snowed overnight but was sunny and clear, so he ran outside in shorts to play and came back, saying something like "the sun is not warm here."

All 3 are adults now and have all decided to stay in the area, with two living in Seattle. The oldest two have kept in touch with some friends all these years but have made many more here. They all go back to visit and enjoy it there but this is home now.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It could be said that California is like looking a bad car wreck. You can’t help but turn your head and laugh as you move forward to a new destination.
You laugh as you pass a bad car wreck?! I think that's the last reaction I would have.

My brother moved out of state in the 1990s (Kentucky of all places). He likes it - was always an outdoorsy hunting and fishing type guy. He does get wistful occasionally about home. That's only natural. He never badmouths California or obsesses about it like many of the forum visitors here do though.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When we moved here my son was 5. It had snowed overnight but was sunny and clear, so he ran outside in shorts to play and came back, saying something like "the sun is not warm here."

All 3 are adults now and have all decided to stay in the area, with two living in Seattle. The oldest two have kept in touch with some friends all these years but have made many more here. They all go back to visit and enjoy it there but this is home now.
Almost packed and moving to Olympia a few years back... we were being bought out and everyone had to re-apply for their jobs and my department was being outsourced... which meant we could apply as independent contractors.

As the signage was being changed... a lawsuit was filed... stopped everything and never did move or change jobs.

Took a lot of grief from friends about moving to the Evergreen State... I was actually looking forward to it and have always enjoyed my time there.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM

341 posts, read 708,491 times
1- it's their home state and proud of it. Much the same way those that move to Ca will talk about their home state.
2- knowledge is power. They may want to relocate back someday.
3- they may still have vested interest in Ca be it family, friends, property, business etc.
4- human nature
5- the favorite topic of discussion for Californians that have relocated elsewhere is, you guessed it, CA.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can think of only one former regular in the CA fora who, in the last couple of years, relocated to somewhere in Arkansas I believe. She is so satisfied with her new location, I can't recall the last time I saw her posting in the CA fora. She was from South Central LA, that's all I remember. (and no, it isn't Nita... Nita left 10,000 years ago)

No axe to grind, no wittle hut feewings, no bitterness, no boring repetitious justifications explaining why she left ad infinitum, ad nauseam... just a healthy love for her new surroundings going by the posts I've seen in the Ark forum.

FSM bless the lady for finding her new home. I wish I could remember her name.
Was that CESpeed? She tended to go into vitriol at one stage toward the end of her residency, but I did appreciate her POV came from a personal street perspective and not just from the editorial pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California