Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM

21,532 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

ExpatCA, your views are somewhat understandable because you lived in Southern California, which exemplifies everything that everybody thinks is wrong with California. I was born there and used to live there myself, but I won't be back. Much of the quality of life that once was so wonderful in the L.A. region has been spoiled through overdevelopment and overpopulation. Southern California became a victim of its own popularity.

However I do take issue with your statement that California is ruled by a "failed ideology." Once again, this is your opinion because you don't happen to like the way the state is run for whatever reason. When I hear criticism of the state that sounds like Fox News talking points, I tend to assume that the person making those statements subscribes to a conservative ideology and therefore must be a Republican, which I shouldn't have done, and I apologize.

Regardless of how you vote, you certainly have a lot of company among the California bashers who think we're circling the drain. But California is still here and we're not going anywhere anytime soon. That's my opinion. And the issues that we are dealing with -- budget, taxes, education, environment -- are hardly unique to California. It's just that, being larger and more populous than some European countries, we're a pretty big target, and even people who don't live here any more and have nothing to gain or lose by seeing us fail can't resist taking potshots.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-13-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
ExpatCA, your views are somewhat understandable because you lived in Southern California, which exemplifies everything that everybody thinks is wrong with California. I was born there and used to live there myself, but I won't be back. Much of the quality of life that once was so wonderful in the L.A. region has been spoiled through overdevelopment and overpopulation. Southern California became a victim of its own popularity.

However I do take issue with your statement that California is ruled by a "failed ideology." Once again, this is your opinion because you don't happen to like the way the state is run for whatever reason. When I hear criticism of the state that sounds like Fox News talking points, I tend to assume that the person making those statements subscribes to a conservative ideology and therefore must be a Republican, which I shouldn't have done, and I apologize.

Regardless of how you vote, you certainly have a lot of company among the California bashers who think we're circling the drain. But California is still here and we're not going anywhere anytime soon. And the issues that we are dealing with -- budget, taxes, education, environment -- are hardly unique to California. It's just that, being larger and more populous than some European countries, we're a pretty big target, and even people who don't live here any more and have nothing to gain or lose by seeing us fail can't resist taking potshots.
Hi,

You are correct in many points and thank you for the apology.

However ask yourself WHY CA has so many problems when it has so much going for it? It isn't the land, the resources, the climate, the ... any good thing. It is HOW it is run by the politicians who are elected again and again by the ... people.

I can for example, ask why my 8th grade education in OC is now equal to a 12th grade education and why many colleges have remedial English classes that are not simply full of ESL students, but many born and raised in CA? What happened? It isn't just population density, it is a fundamental change in the schools themselves and that is made by ... politicians and their appointees influenced by ... an ideology.

I don't bash California, I do speak about those who have made the mess it is in. Are there other places in worse of a mess, yes, but so what? That does not make CA any better. What has to change to make it better?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hi,

You are correct in many points and thank you for the apology.

However ask yourself WHY CA has so many problems when it has so much going for it? It isn't the land, the resources, the climate, the ... any good thing. It is HOW it is run by the politicians who are elected again and again by the ... people.

I can for example, ask why my 8th grade education in OC is now equal to a 12th grade education and why many colleges have remedial English classes that are not simply full of ESL students, but many born and raised in CA? What happened? It isn't just population density, it is a fundamental change in the schools themselves and that is made by ... politicians and their appointees influenced by ... an ideology.

I don't bash California, I do speak about those who have made the mess it is in. Are there other places in worse of a mess, yes, but so what? That does not make CA any better. What has to change to make it better?
Good points. I went to school in California in the 1950s and 60s, and I know what you mean about education. It's really gone downhill, although that is true in other states as well. The answer is rather complicated and off-topic for this discussion, but IMO it has to do with the well-intentioned but misguided attempts to make everyone equal and the subsequent lowering of standards.

California is, and has always been, a magnet for immigrants from all over the world because it has so much to offer. The changing demographics and population growth in itself have caused social changes that feel threatening to those who grew up in traditionally Anglo-White-Christian communities. These are the ones who flee to other states. Some posters here have said that these folks take their money and their jobs with them and that California won't survive the exodus. I'm no economist so I can't argue, but I haven't seen evidence of this.

What can be done to make things better? I don't have the answer to that, either, except to stay here and be a law-abiding, taxpaying citizen, an informed voter, and support the local merchants where I live. I still think that the good here outweighs the bad, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-13-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
What can be done to make things better? I don't have the answer to that, either, except to stay here and be a law-abiding, taxpaying citizen, an informed voter, and support the local merchants where I live.
Good for you! You can't do any better than that.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good for you! You can't do any better than that.
Thanks, Curm! I hate paying taxes like everyone else does, but when I spend my money in California I like to think that I am doing my bit to keep people employed so they won't go away.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
Because they remember what it used to be and what the Democrats have turned it into over the past three-plus decades.

having an extremely progressive tax code doesn't help either; the deluge of revenue which flows into the state treasury is NEVER utilized properly for the benefits of EVERYBODY, but winds up being directed to a very small sliver of the population to the detriment of everyone else, and especially the middle class, as our gasoline prices prove every single day.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Because they remember what it used to be and what the Democrats have turned it into over the past three-plus decades.

having an extremely progressive tax code doesn't help either; the deluge of revenue which flows into the state treasury is NEVER utilized properly for the benefits of EVERYBODY, but winds up being directed to a very small sliver of the population to the detriment of everyone else, and especially the middle class, as our gasoline prices prove every single day.
Gasoline prices have nothing to do with the tax code, although gas taxes are higher here than most states. Petroleum prices are set by Middle Eastern cartels and big oil companies, not state governments. Also, it's more expensive to produce gas that can be sold in California. The state's clean air laws require a special blend that keeps air pollution down.

I agree that California tax revenues aren't used as wisely as they could be. However, in that "small sliver of the population" you must also include those big companies that bid for state contracts and then overcharge for their services and public employees who can't be fired regardless of their performance but take home fat paychecks, paid healthcare and generous pension benefits.

One example of wastefulness is that in San Francisco the public transit system, Muni, has a policy that Muni drivers are permitted to not show up for work a certain number of days a year with no penalty. That's doesn't mean calling in sick, it means just not showing up for your shift. What private industry would allow this? It must cost the City a fortune because they have to have stand-by drivers available to cover the shifts. The City has been working with the public transit union to try to change the rules, but predictably there has been a great deal of resistance, strike threats, etc.

Here's another one: Years ago when the California State lottery was voted in, the rationale was that it would "help the schools." I see school districts struggling as much as ever, and every election cycle bonds are on the ballot to raise more money for schools. I would love to know where all that lottery money and bond money is going. It's certainly not benefiting "EVERYBODY."

That said, I'd like to know what perfect state in the U.S. ALWAYS uses its tax revenues for the benefit of ALL its citizens and doesn't waste a dime of it. Take your time, I'll wait.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
If you read through the massive volumes of posts by those who whine and complain about California, whether they live here or in some benighted state, they are nearly uniformly posted by urban conservatives.

They will state that they are the clear eyed observers and that those that do not complain about this state are blind delusional liberals.

I find this humorous, and far beyond inaccurate.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
Quote:
Gasoline prices have nothing to do with the tax code, although gas taxes are higher here than most states. Petroleum prices are set by Middle Eastern cartels and big oil companies, not state governments. Also, it's more expensive to produce gas that can be sold in California. The state's clean air laws require a special blend that keeps air pollution down.

I agree that California tax revenues aren't used as wisely as they could be. However, in that "small sliver of the population" you must also include those big companies that bid for state contracts and then overcharge for their services and public employees who can't be fired regardless of their performance but take home fat paychecks, paid healthcare and generous pension benefits.

One example of wastefulness is that in San Francisco the public transit system, Muni, has a policy that Muni drivers are permitted to not show up for work a certain number of days a year with no penalty. That's doesn't mean calling in sick, it means just not showing up for your shift. What private industry would allow this? It must cost the City a fortune because they have to have stand-by drivers available to cover the shifts. The City has been working with the public transit union to try to change the rules, but predictably there has been a great deal of resistance, strike threats, etc.

Here's another one: Years ago when the California State lottery was voted in, the rationale was that it would "help the schools." I see school districts struggling as much as ever, and every election cycle bonds are on the ballot to raise more money for schools. I would love to know where all that lottery money and bond money is going. It's certainly not benefiting "EVERYBODY."

That said, I'd like to know what perfect state in the U.S. ALWAYS uses its tax revenues for the benefit of ALL its citizens and doesn't waste a dime of it. Take your time, I'll wait.
Repped - I agree, it may not be perfect but, to me, there is no place I would rather be - except Brookings OR on a part time only basis!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That pretty much seals the doom on your Surprise move. Can we change usernames here? You can change to "NEVER2BNSURPRISE."

Why move at all if you're looking for the same place?
When I started here, at City Data Forum, I had every intention of moving. We were going to follow the herds of others moving to the promised land of Arizona. That bubble burst and kept us here. Then the market changed and we were able to buy a home in Oxnard. I should change the name but I kind of like it.

We always liked living in Oxnard anyway and have so much more of a connection here than anyplace else. Maybe I should incorporate the Ventura County area or something close by into the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California