Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times

Advertisements

The biggest issues with poverty is the 41% out of wedlock birth rate. Even some folks from left leaning think tanks like the Brookings Insitution are finally admitting it:

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - The Washington Post

I’ve been studying single mothers since long before “Murphy Brown” was on the air. In a study I co-authored with Adam Thomas, I put them into hypothetical households with demographically similar unmarried men who, in principle, would be good marriage partners. Through this virtual matchmaking, we showed that child poverty rates would fall by as much as 20 percent in an America with more two-parent households.

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things — finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children — their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM

82 posts, read 131,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Wait until the job creators start leaving in even greater numbers. 13% taxation and stupid carbon taxes will cause lots of business owners to pack up and head for Austin.
I used to live in Nashville. All the newbies I met were from California. They all enjoyed the standard of living and activites in TN. None want to ove back to CA. Only one said they missed the ocean, even though he said he never once swam in it because it was too cold. LOL

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboywhatamess View Post
I used to live in Nashville. All the newbies I met were from California. They all enjoyed the standard of living and activites in TN. None want to ove back to CA. Only one said they missed the ocean, even though he said he never once swam in it because it was too cold. LOL
I've lived 5 miles from the beach and haven't been in the water since I was a kid. I've just never been a beach person. I do appreciate what it does for the climate though.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM

880 posts, read 1,409,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboywhatamess View Post
Part of the rate may also be based on what we call "poverty". How does the "income" of those below the poverty line compare to other States, after we factor in CA assistance.

It would be interesting to see these side by side with the COL of all States as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Sure makes sense to blame illegals for the stupidities and evasions of law by Americans doesn't it?
I would blame both, as both groups are evading (Breaking) the Law. One just facilitates the other.

I wonder if we have any correlation between the number of Illegals and poverty in CA, when looking back in 10 year increments?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
Reasons California has so much poverty, and high unemployment.

46th highest cost of living driving even many employed people into poverty.

48th highest cost to do business, which is driving many companies (one every working day) from the state, and keeping many others from moving to the state. Even many of the big players in Silicon Valley are building their new facilities or doing their production they did in California at one time from the state. Their Choice: Move to another state and make a profit, or stay in California and make very low profits or be put out of business. Remember companies have to make a profit to survive.

43rd worst economy in the country, a result of the above two problems.

30th worst infrastructure and transportation.

33rd worst education system in the country. Many families are leaving the state for this one reason alone. Companies look for the future workforce, and take this into consideration in a big way.

43rd in business friendliness, which keeps many businesses from wanting to stay in or move to California.

America's Top States for Business 2012 - Cost of Living Rankings - CNBC

47th worst unemployment rate in nation.

2012 State Unemployment Rates

48th highest business taxes in nation and going up to make California #1 soon.

Then compare to Texas, and it is no wonder so many companies and so many people are moving to Texas. Just think, Texas even beats California on Technology and Innovation second only to New York, where most people on the west coast would think California was the leader.

California has serious problems and they are not going to solve themselves. Any company thinking of expanding in California, moving to California, startups, etc., are going to take these problems into consideration.

Poverty rate, is caused by an accumulation of all these problems.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times
What is all of the hype about TX? I went to visit the place, and I just don't get the excitement.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Reasons California has so much poverty, and high unemployment.
But, but, but, weather

Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,944 times
BTW California's poverty rate is 35th out of 50 and there are a ton of southern states behind it. I believe the highest is NM though because of all the Indian Reservations. This identical thread got posted in the politics forum where it got torn to pieces for being nothing but a bunch of BS. The welfare rate in California is only 4.7% which is just about identical to the US average.

Facts: They're just never on the wingnut's side.

List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That link is for people who are interested in real actual facts instead of BS political spin. You'll also notice that other than Imperial county (in the desert right on the border) ALL of the highest poverty counties are bright red Republican voting counties. Other than VI and NC EVERY southern state has a higher poverty rate than California. Hell, Arizona, NM, MS, LA, and Kentucky are all especially horrible pits of poverty. Even the right wing utopia of TX has a much worse poverty rate than CA. FACTS: The wing nuts might not like them but they are still true.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
The hype is, Texas is the California of the 1960s and 1970s, when the action was moving to California. Then they screwed things up in California, and business has to have a new place to move to. Things that I show in the above post, is the reason this change is taking place and they are moving to the new hot place Texas. Texas is a big place, with a coast, to desert and range, just as happens in California. Some great places to live, and some miserable ones in most peoples opinions just as California has.

Lets look at the two High Tech Leaders, San Jose, and Austin.

You have to earn 65% more money to live in San Jose than Austin.

Average Salary at IBM is $99,788 in Austin for a Software Engineer and no income tax.

Average Salary at Yahoo is $103,390 in San Jose, and high income tax.

After adjusting for income tax and cost of living, the Austin engineer makes at least $70,000 more than the one in San Jose in disposable income.

Median listing price for homes San Jose is $466,200. And some cities in Silicon Valley are much higher.

Median pricee homes in San Jose
3-Bedroom San Jose, CA Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Median sales price for homes Austin Tx is $214,300.. Home values from city-data.com

Median priced homes in Austin
3-Bedroom Austin, TX Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

What you get for the Median San Jose Price in Austin
9009 Tweed Berwick Dr Austin TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #6741160 - Realtor.com®

I hope this answers your questions, on why Texas is so hot right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: