Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
I believe one should never trade landscape for a job. We don't live forever, far from it. Living on a landscape that brings out both joy and the sense of adventure, makes life more than just an existence.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I believe one should never trade landscape for a job. We don't live forever, far from it. Living on a landscape that brings out both joy and the sense of adventure, makes life more than just an existence.
That reminded me of Thoreau's "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes".

Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That reminded me of Thoreau's "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes".
I do like that, it brings up a couple more of my life rules; "Avoid jobs that require a necktie" and "avoid work that requires a roof over your head".

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Where's my "Team .Highnlite" campaign t-shirt? I know it's around here somewhere.

I agree. When I was debating which warm city to relocate to, I kept ping ponging back and forth for what felt like an eternity between

1. being where I wanted to be in the weather I wanted (CA), or

2. being where the weather is far less desirable than CA, in my opinion, but still warmer than where I was moving from and has more jobs and financial growth opportunities than CA.

Though I'm typically a logical girl that goes with her head, this time heart won out. As you said, I decided, at this point in my life, to not trade landscape for a job. It would be shameful if I'd not at least taken away from the recent tragedy in my life the lesson that life is far too short, so live every day as if it were your last. For that reason, even though it made little sense on paper, CA won.

Different things might be at the top of the list for other people, and to those people I say, go where your "must-have" list takes you. Although, similar to the OP, I am often curious as to what makes someone move to a place such as Oberlin, Kansas. Great thread, OP.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Really? Now that's interesting. I quite agree but you seem to apply it only to yourself and deny it to others as you routinely and unceasingly ridicule, demean, disparage and attempt to make unfavorable comparisons to anyone elses preferences that are different from yours.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 AM

131 posts, read 167,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’m not sure why people think Fargo is in the Bakken formation or just down the street from Williston, but it seems to be commonplace on this forum.

It was either Fargo or Omaha simply because of the low unemployment rates and vibrant economies. I took a risk with no job offer waiting. I knew no one when I moved here. My job is in health and safety.

I think you’re in complete denial if you think a certain "segment" people laying around assisted by the government have the best intentions. It could also be a California reading comprehension thing.

During the depression a number of people moved to where the work is.
N. Dakota has three distinctions: wheat, mosquitos, and oil shale. Since the first two haven't changed in the past hundred years at least, the only thing creating a vibrant economy there is the oil shale. Doesn't matter if you are in the oil shale workforce or not. You're there because there's a boom economy based on oil shale.

Good for you finding work when you had to. Good for you if you can find a way to enjoy wheat fields and mosquitos. But if you think you're a better person than others, you might try spending less time preening in front of your mirror, and more time ladling soup for others. There's a whloe lot more people looking for work than there is work to be had. You found yours. Lucky you. You think that makes you superior? You think anybody can just up and move and land a job? If there are 100,000 new jobs in N. Dakota and 20 million people out of work, that leaves -- uh, whoops, I ran outta fingers, Gus.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I’m not sure why people think Fargo is in the Bakken formation or just down the street from Williston, but it seems to be commonplace on this forum.

It was either Fargo or Omaha simply because of the low unemployment rates and vibrant economies. I took a risk with no job offer waiting. I knew no one when I moved here. My job is in health and safety.

I think you’re in complete denial if you think a certain "segment" people laying around assisted by the government have the best intentions. It could also be a California reading comprehension thing.

During the depression a number of people moved to where the work is.
I never said anything about those laying around assisted by the government, I was simply saying that most people do not want that life. I do agree that there are those who are unmotivated and try to milk the system as long as they can, sure, but they are very small minority, and when%

Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
N. Dakota has three distinctions: wheat, mosquitos, and oil shale. Since the first two haven't changed in the past hundred years at least, the only thing creating a vibrant economy there is the oil shale. Doesn't matter if you are in the oil shale workforce or not. You're there because there's a boom economy based on oil shale.

Your ignorance about the economy of Eastern North Dakota is a beautiful thing.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Really? Now that's interesting. I quite agree but you seem to apply it only to yourself and deny it to others as you routinely and unceasingly ridicule, demean, disparage and attempt to make unfavorable comparisons to anyone elses preferences that are different from yours.
Apparently you have a persecution complex.
A. I seldom talk about my favorite landscape.
B. I do not ridicule, demean, disparage and attempt to make unfavorable comparisons anyone who choses to live west of the 100th Meridian. Since no true Westerner could live east of the 100th Meridian, those folks are fair game.

Do take note.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I take note of the fact that you're a hypocrite or a liar. The choice is yours. There are no others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California