Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when war is declared on property owners then the empire will strike back, look for higher rents soon.
Yep! I'll be moving out of the state in a few years and my future tenants will pay for half the increase... it's only fair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I sure as heck can't remember that information from so long ago. Although, I think the minimum wage was around $2/hr.
Well, it's an important question if people are saying income taxes should come down if prop'ty taxes start to go up. The implication is that the loss in income taxes that prop 13 caused was made up by a hike in income taxes. If that hike never happened, then there would be no reason to link a decrease in income taxes to a rise in property taxes.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it's an important question if people are saying income taxes should come down if prop'ty taxes start to go up. The implication is that the loss in income taxes that prop 13 caused was made up by a hike in income taxes. If that hike never happened, then there would be no reason to link a decrease in income taxes to a rise in property taxes.
The revenue lost when Prop 13 went into effect was to education. Property taxes in the state mainly go towards that entity. Money was taken from the general fund to offset the loss. California has been struggling with funding education for years. That is one of the reasons the California Lottery was created in 1984. The following is from the California Lottery website.

Quote:
California lottery officials said the lottery was created to generate supplemental funding for public schools since 1984. For every dollar spend on lottery products, 34 cents is returned to the classroom. A recent report by the California Department of Education shows 61 percent of lottery funds were spent on salaries and benefits for instructors. Lottery funds are also used at community colleges, the UC system, California State Universities, and charter schools.
Notice that 61% of the funds are spent on salaries and benefits for instructors.

As a mom, I volunteered in the classroom when my children were in elementary school. I saw the teacher bring in boxes of supplies, all purchased with her own money. The school didn't have the money for these special projects and many teachers provided them out of their own pocket.

Administrators have no business making over 100K a year in salary when they aren't in the classroom. In fact, just the other day on the news, a principal was arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor when he accompanied the students on a field trip and bought them liquor, sat and drank with them and basically acted like he was just one of the gang. This is the type of behavior we get from our school administration? It makes me want to puke when I think this man was probably raking in six figures a year.

However, that's not the issue here. It's about repealing the proposition to make up for the loss of state revenue for schools. Pay their salaries, give them benefits - while they are employed but for the love of pete, don't pay their benefits for the rest of their life after they retire! At the very least, make them contribute to their health care premiums. The entire state and every city and county in it needs to stop providing for people long after they retire from their positions.

When the state wants to start reforming pensions, I'll give a listen to what they have to say about property taxes and income tax. Until then, if they are going to continue paying these outrageous benefits to retirees without the retiree having to contribute in any way, I won't budge on my vote.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The revenue lost when Prop 13 went into effect was to education. Property taxes in the state mainly go towards that entity. Money was taken from the general fund to offset the loss. California has been struggling with funding education for years. That is one of the reasons the California Lottery was created in 1984. The following is from the California Lottery website.
So why link a hike in property taxes to a decrease in income taxes? Before Prop 13, people were paying higher property taxes and the going income tax rate of the day.

CA has to get its budget together somehow. It's not going to happen by exchanging one tax for another. What would be the point, then, in raising the property tax? There wouldn't be one. That proposal just doesn't make sense to me. The state would never go for it.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
So why link a hike in property taxes to a decrease in income taxes?
Sorry but I don't even understand that question.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't even understand that question.
That's what the previous page's discussion was about. A couple of people said if Prop 13 were modified to allow tax hikes, state income taxes should be reduced to compensate. You commented on it yourself.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So why link a hike in property taxes to a decrease in income taxes? Before Prop 13, people were paying higher property taxes and the going income tax rate of the day.
I think it's a forlorn hope that their overall taxes will go down. Or at least remain revenue neutral, and not simply end up with high income taxes and higher property taxes.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
In most states property taxes mostly fund education. California has one of the lowest property taxes in the country, which helps justify higher taxes in other areas such as state income tax. However, if our property taxes go to the levels of other states, than we will really be getting ****ed in the butt UNLESS they lower our state income taxes or something else.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 PM

Maybe they should put a ceiling on sales tax, then. Those are the most regressive. Income tax is more progressive--that feature should be retained.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Property taxes are the worst kind of tax because they are not tied to any ability to pay. With sales tax, you have some control over your taxable spending since things like rent/mortgage and food are not taxed here. With income taxes, you have to have income before paying a tax. Property tax is the one that just keeps on taxing regardless of your financial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California