U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
1 posts, read 1,813 times
Reputation: 10


Hi all - hope someone will be able to help me with this question.

I just moved out of LA to Washington DC. A few months before I left, I purchased a 2001 Honda CRV from a private owner. About a week before I left (this was two weeks ago now) I went through the registration process, as the original title for the vehicle was misplaced by me and I had trouble getting in touch with the owners.

I filled out a REG 227 (Application for Duplicate Title) and had the owner sign, had it notarized, etc. All by the book. I received the registration and my sticker that same day.

I have a three questions:

1) About how long will it take to receive my new title by mail? I need it to register my car in DC.
2) Is there any way to check on the status?
3) The woman at the DMV accepted the forms without question, there didn't seem to be an issue, but I can't help wondering - do I also need to submit a REG 262 (Vehicle Transfer and Reassignment Form)? According to [url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch5/ch5_5.htm]5.020 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)[/url] 5.020 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), I need to submit that form along with the 227 for Odometer disclosure.

BUT, this part of the site: ([url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/reg/odometer.htm]Odometer Mileage Reporting[/url]) Odometer Mileage Reporting suggests that:

Yes. Reporting the odometer mileage reading is encouraged, but not mandatory if: the vehicle is 10 years old or older.

Now, my car is older than 10 years. So, it would appear as though no 262 is needed, but the first part of the site appears to suggest that it's mandatory to report if you submit the 227. I doubt I could have even gotten my registration if all required documents weren't submitted, but I just want to make sure everything is OK at the moment - getting the 262 filled out would be near impossible for me all the way across the country.

Does anyone have any answers about this? I would greatly appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top