Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

To be fair we are now among the best of the worst due to the current Web X.0 bubble, and, cash buyers snapping up prime real estate. Still, we are part of Rust Belt II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM

131 posts, read 167,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That ratio has remained unchanged for many, many years. While correct, given California's population, that's all whole bunch of public employees.
As my favorite passenger Alice often mutters: "curiouser and curiouser". What nthe hell does that mean: ", that's all whole bunch of public employees."? It's the third lowest ratio in the country. Don't matter ifit's a bunch. The OP guy was saying California's bloated with too many state employees. Well, if so, 47 other states are worse. Hell, my NY state is waaaay worse, and we're getting by. California has top population and top economy and low public employees.

10 States Where An Absurd Percentage Of The Population Works For The Government
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/10-st...#ixzz2EEKJmtty
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-st...am-2010-6?op=1

Next.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
As my favorite passenger Alice often mutters: "curiouser and curiouser". What nthe hell does that mean: ", that's all whole bunch of public employees."? It's the third lowest ratio in the country. Don't matter ifit's a bunch. The OP guy was saying California's bloated with too many state employees. Well, if so, 47 other states are worse. Hell, my NY state is waaaay worse, and we're getting by. California has top population and top economy and low public employees.

Read more: 10 States Where An Absurd Percentage Of The Population Works For The Government - Business Insider
10 States Where An Absurd Percentage Of The Population Works For The Government - Business Insider

Next.
Great post. Really great.

I lived in Laramie, WY for two years. Ground zero, for supposedly the rugged individualism of the anti-government American frontier.

I had multiple classmates, that said: "Yeah, I'll just get a job with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) after I graduate. I have connections."

Rugged individualism in those states listed are about as real as the breasts on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:

Read more: 10 States Where An Absurd Percentage Of The Population Works For The Government - Business Insider
10 States Where An Absurd Percentage Of The Population Works For The Government - Business Insider

Next.
Let me guess. You went down the rabbit hole head first!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
DEATH SPIRAL STATES « The Burning Platform

This article states how the combination of people on public dole, and government employees ,also on public dole, now outnumber people who actually produce and pay the bills.
This is an unsustainable death spiral, with the only question remaining being how long can this situation continue before the state financially implodes.
It's funny how this state has been going down the drain for the entire 35 years that I've been living here yet at the same time my actual life for the last 35 years has been getting better and better.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
It's funny how this state has been going down the drain for the entire 35 years that I've been living here yet at the same time my actual life for the last 35 years has been getting better and better.
I posted something similar but a shorter time span. The California bashers have become little more than entertainment for me although it is cruel to laugh at those who can't help....er....nevermind.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
To be fair we are now among the best of the worst due to the current Web X.0 bubble, and, cash buyers snapping up prime real estate. Still, we are part of Rust Belt II.
The entire US is a rust belt. Highest trade deficit in the world. We used to be the top producer in the world, now we are the top consumer in the world and the worst part is our wealth is leaving this country through the trade deficit.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
When Reagan became Governor way back in 1964, he was facing 2 million on welfare, people flocking to CA for the lax welfare rules, and the state was flirting with a financial disaster. Nearly 40 years later, the beat goes on!!!

Talk about a very, very, very slow death spiral!!!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:

Next.
Wrong, the OP (me) said the combination of State employees combined with entitlement recipients is the 3rd highest in the nation. Try to pay attention and not mis-quote people.
By the way I value your opinion that California is doing so well and I sincerely hope you can convince others to share your opinion, at least long enough for me to be able to unload my properties at a decent price before leaving this wonderful place in my rear view mirror.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The federal pot is only one statistic
...that shows how much we rely on other states. And it turns out we dont rely on any other state for anything and that any expenditures we have here, are because we have a desire to pay for them, or incur debt in order to finance them. California is totally self reliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California