Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,199 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, I'm thinking about moving to Humboldt Cty. too! I have never been. I've lived on Cape Cod which I loved. Jobs do exist but pay not as good unless one commutes to Boston. Eeks. What types of jobs, if any, exist in the Eureka/Arcata area? What is it about Ferndale? Sounds lovely. I'm comparing Humboldt Cty. to Maine/New England since I'm more familiar with east coast then Pacific Northwest. Can one afford to live and work there if not on some retirement? I am not a commuter and want to get involved in the local community where I decide to live and work. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 48,876 times
Default Wish I was there!

I love Humboldt County, and wanted to stay there after finishing college. But jobs were hard to come by. Be prepared for lots of wet, foggy, gray days. When skies are blue, with the green pastures and redwoods there's nothing like it. Gorgeous! Also, be aware that there are quite a few earthquakes in the region. I'd still live there though...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 18,199 times
Do the local areas - Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, Fortuna, Fernadale - rely on Tourism at all? I wonder if an art gallery would be welcomed, and if so, where? Do residents see new business startups as some sort of panacea or rather as a contributing factor to their current problems? I checked the local newspapers online and I don't find an opinion either way. I suppose the best way to find out is to go there. I wonder if the attitude is similar to that of Oregonians not wanting California transplants = Humboldt County dwellers not wanting newcomers. Any advice?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange8 View Post
Any thoughts on Eureka...what's the crime like up there?
The crime scene is pretty good.
Lots of opportunities in meth and burglary.

On the White Collar side Real Estate and Medical Fraud are popular.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Crime is not as bad as Richmond or Oakland but getting worse. Lots of property crime. You can look up crime stats on this site. Petty crime in Arcata is out of hand. You can't leave anything in your car. The same meth problems that every rural town has now.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 24,063 times
Default What's it like to raise a family in Ferndale Ca?

I currently live in a great, open minded town (Santa Cruz Ca) but we are drawn to the affordability and beauty of Ferndale. I would retire there, but it would be nice to bring a family and feel like I am contributing more as a whole family there. I must admit it seems too isolated for me to want my kids developing their mind and spirits there. Plus, we're originally from Los Angeles and, although we have adapted to smaller town life...our minds are trained by different experiences.

My sweet old granny lived in Fortuna all her life and know the deal with weather, and rural folk, and drugs as a part of agricultural life, and high amounts of welfare/low employment. I am assuming we will be empolyed, my kids will be fabulous non-drug users, and we would be a part of the community.

So. Given all that. Is Ferndale still too small and hard to live in. AND. How much is flooding in the winter a factor?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,395 times
Default Just moved to Ferndale 07-08

Ferndale is a beautiful place to live. There are so many places to explore in Humboldt county. I actually live about 4 miles outside of Ferndale but really like the area. I say go for it and you wont regret it...

Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
We considered moving there in the long-forgotten 70s, and it seemed cute at the time. I went back a few years ago and was not impressed. Arcata (and McKinleyville) seem like more reasonable choices in that area.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM

27 posts, read 39,128 times
I recently stayed at the Air B & B that this therapist was trying to acquire that business license for. What he told me, and isn't mentioned is that in the town hall meeting to discuss this, there was one of the biggest turnouts ever and 99% of those there went to say, "give him the license". Both sides were able to have their say. I went and meant and talked to people, the schools for a very small town seem excellent. I think open-minded, live-and-let-live prevailed. I want to live in Ferndale and trying to make that happen as we speak.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM

27 posts, read 39,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl View Post
Do the local areas - Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, Fortuna, Fernadale - rely on Tourism at all? I wonder if an art gallery would be welcomed, and if so, where? Do residents see new business startups as some sort of panacea or rather as a contributing factor to their current problems? I checked the local newspapers online and I don't find an opinion either way. I suppose the best way to find out is to go there. I wonder if the attitude is similar to that of Oregonians not wanting California transplants = Humboldt County dwellers not wanting newcomers. Any advice?
I have made many trips to Hum Co. There are many who have lived there for generations. A lot of folks who go to Humboldt State College and can't leave the place. I find a lot of people there are from someplace else and are welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California