Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Is it a coincidence that when taxes went up, tax revenue takes a big dive.

Despite Tax Increase, California State Revenues in Freefall

People say what a great place to live....California

Lets look at some facts:

There are nice places in California and some of the worst in the country. Examples of California: They tell us that other states are hot and miserable to live and California is perfect. Fact: California has some of the hottest areas in the nation with highest temperatures in the nation from Death Valley to Redding highest in nation. Barren desert, where only true desert rats live, with more land in desert than land in some states.

We are told how great the sunshine and surf, while running down places that have snow. Fact: California has some of the snowiest places in the nation with the worst winter travel conditions. Worse than most of the rocky mountain states as an example.

Crime rates in California's capital city, Sacramento, and how they compare with nation.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
And Oakland where your governor was the mayor for a bunch of years.
And Los Angelos your largest city.
Vallejo
You are correct. And that is what makes California one of the most geographically fascinating states in the country. It literally is a living textbook on physical geography and the earth sciences.

But no one actually LIVES in the high Sierras or Death Valley. You have to look at where most people are going to LIVE based on the metropolitan clusters. Now even there, there is a lot of variation.

For example the San Fernando Valley and the Inland Empire, are about the same as Texas in terms of summer heat. However, you have the beaches/coasts and mountains (I'm talking the San Gabriels/San Bernardinos/Big Bear/Frazier Park, the 10,000+) to escape to and enjoy on the weekends.

In Texas, you don't have elevation change that produces cool mountain climate, so your stuck. The Gulf of Mexico is an enclosed tropical ocean basin, that simply adds humidity without cooling down. If you are in the Austin area, however, you do have cold hill country spring-fed pools however that are great in summer.

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
But no one actually LIVES in the high Sierras or Death Valley
Don't get out much do you? Plus it isn't the high Sierras, or the low Sierras, it is the Sierra, or the High Sierra,

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Is it a coincidence that when taxes went up, tax revenue takes a big dive.

Despite Tax Increase, California State Revenues in Freefall
Prop 30 hasn't even taken effect yet, so it's absurd to blame these revenue shortfalls on it.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I will find myself enjoying California's undeniable natural beauty as well for many years to come.. But I'll be damned if I ever become a resident there again or subject myself to its taxes.
Then whenever you visit, you'll have to stay with friends or relatives to avoid hotel taxes. You'll have to buy and cook all your own food and shun restaurants and retail stores to avoid sales taxes. And you'll have to bring all the gas you'll need for your visit to avoid gas taxes.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Don't get out much do you? Plus it isn't the high Sierras, or the low Sierras, it is the Sierra, or the High Sierra,
Actually I do. I enjoy exploring Californias wilderness, In the past three months, I have camped three nights in Catalina, Camped for two nights in Joshua Tree National Park, went hiking and stayed out for star gazing at Mt. Pinos by Frazier Park in N. Ventura county, a little earlier over the summer, went on two 8-12 mile hikes in the higher parts of the Angeles National Forest (trails close to Mt. Islip and Mt. Baldy). I will venture out further this upcoming year to Sequoia, Big Sur, etc., but I'm getting to know the wilderness areas closer to LA.

And, few people live in the high SierrA! and the Death Valley area, a tiny percentage of Californias population. And typically in a national parks/designated wilderness, you really don't have any people. Don't you always point out how much of California is uninhabited public land anyways?

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 12-11-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California