Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 05:13 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times

Advertisements

Curious on people's thoughts on these 2 areas. We fell in love with California when visting my dad out here. We saw Southern California, but looking to make a road trip down the coast next year. We come from New England. Currently we are working towards becoming registered nurses.

Where we currently live housing prices vary. If in the City homes are below $200K. Tax rates are 70% of assessed home value in City so can expect to pay close to $10 grand in taxes. Most Cities are a bit aged so they don't have natural gas or alternative heat sources like suburban town's. Solar is however starting to pick up in the cities. Most heat is electric if not careful can rack up a $600 or more heating bill.

The towns catch you assessment is a relatively low rate of 20 to 30 percent, some in the 40's. The catch is looking at $250K homes to a million in some area's. More rural farmland areas, very small job market, have homes that are inexpensive with low property taxes.

Gas has been inexpensive lately fluctuates hit about $2.50 for regular gas, but around $2.20. Groceries can be tad expensive; I know from visiting the South it's expensive. Sales tax is close to 7% right now.

Income tax is about 6% think a little more for those who make between $50K to $100K. Around 5% where we are income wise.

Winter's are a pain in the but. Wouldn't want to give up winter, but could manage without seeing more than 20 inches a year. The cold freezing rain is a buzzkill and probably a bigger pain in the but than snow.

With the two cities what are pros and cons?

Trying to see out of the two areas which is is best for: Hiking, running, kayaking, swimming, and so forth most of the year. Where homes don't break the bank and not over $500K.

Any feedback...
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Do you want to be closer to mountains, rivers, lakes or the coast? Keep in mind coastal climate will be much more moderate year round right 'on' the coast. Though temps climb quickly as one heads inland toward East San Diego county. You will 'generally' get more for your $$ in the Sacramento area along with more wide open spaces outside the city. San Diego is also more of a tourist destination and connected to the larger SoCal concrete jungle. So more traffic and people overall there if you can deal with that. Or if you would want to deal that given other options? Of course, everyone has their preferences. If I had to choose it would most likely be San Diego since I love the coast and we also have relatives down there. However, we very much *dislike* the SoCal crowd scenes. Hence the move further north to the Central Coast which we very much prefer.

Here are a few more threads as food for thought: //www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ty-vs-san.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...acramento.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ease-help.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8144442AAdxZv5

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-09-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
IF you want a single family home and need to keep the price $500K or less, then the Sacramento area would give you more home options. It's not absolutely impossible to find homes in SD County in that price range, but, in general, they'll involve compromises (smaller size, less desirable area, school quality, condition, etc.) and there will be more competition for them.

On the other hand, just over the border from San Diego County is the very nice southern Riverside County area, with places like Temecula and Murietta and Corona, which are all great, and where $500K still buys a nice home in a great neighborhood.

Put your maximum budget in a site like Zillow.com, enter California, and see what turns up. Then come out for another visit and see which of those areas with homes in your price range appeals.

You may also find this current discussion of interest if you haven't already seen it -- lots of good suggestions for areas in California with more affordable housing:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ia-left-3.html

Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Also, to compare cost of living to where you currently live, try this calculator. It's not perfect, but it will give you a clearer understanding of how costs may compare:

Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
IF you want a single family home and need to keep the price $500K or less, then the Sacramento area would give you more home options. It's not absolutely impossible to find homes in SD County in that price range, but, in general, they'll involve compromises (smaller size, less desirable area, school quality, condition, etc.) and there will be more competition for them.

On the other hand, just over the border from San Diego County is the very nice southern Riverside County area, with places like Temecula and Murietta and Corona, which are all great, and where $500K still buys a nice home in a great neighborhood.

Put your maximum budget in a site like Zillow.com, enter California, and see what turns up. Then come out for another visit and see which of those areas with homes in your price range appeals.

You may also find this current discussion of interest if you haven't already seen it -- lots of good suggestions for areas in California with more affordable housing:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ia-left-3.html
Wouldn't mind Riverside. Dad works there and lives OC. L8kes Riverside better and not as congested.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Where we currently live housing prices vary. If in the City homes are below $200K. Tax rates are 70% of assessed home value in City so can expect to pay close to $10 grand in taxes...
The towns catch you assessment is a relatively low rate of 20 to 30 percent, some in the 40's. The catch is looking at $250K homes to a million in some area's. More rural farmland areas, very small job market, have homes that are inexpensive with low property taxes.
Sounds like you're especially worried about property taxes. Let me introduce you to California's property tax gem: Proposition 13.

Essentially, whatever price the property sells for, the property tax is based on that, and the rate cannot go up more than 1- 2% per year. It can even be dropped when real estate prices go down, like in the last slump. Some years, mine have risen year-over-year by as little as 83 cents (true--2009-2010). Sometimes there are add-ons by local entities like schools, etc. but not everywhere in CA. When or if the property is sold, the tax rate changes based on what it sells for. So if you buy a house for $400k and 10 years later it's worth $900k, you are still paying tax based on the $400k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ition_13_(1978)

Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Wouldn't mind Riverside. Dad works there and lives OC. L8kes Riverside better and not as congested.
Then you seriously need to visit *both* especially before making any kind of purchase decision. IMO, it would be far better to rent/lease first to get to know whatever area you choose. Otherwise, you may end getting stuck in one spot and discover you like something much better the next town over, etc...

There is only so much you can glean from online searches compared to driving and then staying in the communities under consideration. A move is a big deal and expense. Its better to make an informed decision based on what fits your lifestyle best vs. folks online or even a family member. Though having family closer can be a good thing.

I know from personal experience that Riverside has tons of traffic especially at rush hour. I went to school near there and drove through it daily. And it was a grind! Also my brother-in-law lives there and drives a lot for work.

However, places like Temecula and Murrieta can be better if you work close by. Both are known for horrendous traffic if the job is further out because there is only one main freeway in and out which gets impacted.

Derek

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Southern CA and Northern CA are so different, it's just really too hard to give good info. I think you need to decide which you want, then find the town that suits you.

I only really know northern CA. I've visited southern CA and although I liked many things about it, I didn't overall like the culture. I don't feel like I fit in there. And the folk I know from southern CA don't really much like northern CA. They're just that different. No glaring rivalries or anything like that, but the state is just so huge, with 8+ hours driving between the two areas, it's just that they're really different.

Think LA glamorous movie stars vs. Silicon Valley geeks. Obviously, a big over-generalization, but hopefully, you get the idea.

Once you choose if you want northern or southern CA, you can then hone in on which town would work for you. In my opinion.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 AM

We have time to explore, 4 year's. Just curious on the area. Already found jobs in my current field out here, but a little weary on the salary and high COL. I would be making about $4500 to $5000 a month pre taxes in Riverside. Then found anlther job $1000 less a month in Amador County, figure that's North. My wife probably would make somewhere between $25 to $30 an hour, she's an LPN.

We are probably going to focus on finishinh school by 2020. Then we are looking into a year of online class work; going for our BSN or MSN.

In that time looking to do a few trips explore the area. Thinking of running the San Francisco marathon next year. Explore San Fran for 2 day's stay at a family member's house. Visit wine country for 2 day's. Drive the coast for 4 to 5 day's. Then stay in OC area or San Diego for another 4 day's.

Looking to make a camping trip and explore Sacramento eventually. Like to try to visit Lake Tahoe. More family is up in Eureka area. Be interested in exploring the top of California.

Work with a few people from Cali. They stay San Diego is more our lifestyle.

Appreciate the responses. Probably frequent these forums on the trips out here when my wife and I come out.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-10-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
I agree with everything here except one thing. In my opinion and experience as a transplant to San Diego, I don't think it feels at all connected to the SoCal concrete jungle. Because of Camp Pendleton dividing SD from OC with a long stretch of undeveloped land, and bc of SD's distance from the rest of SoCal (about 60 miles from OC and 120 miles from LA), it feels pleasantly removed from that pace. Maybe because we came from the Bay Area, it doesn't feel as crowded to us. It's more crowded than Sacramento but less so than the Bay Area. And it feels separated from the sprawl in the same way Sacramento feels separated from the Bay Area.

Still, very different cities with some California commonalities of course. I love both cities for different reasons. SD is the bigger city but Sacramento has a relaxed, almost Southern feel to me, with a hint of Portland.

Sacramento is much hotter in summer but cooler in winter. Neither city sees snow.

Housing is cheaper in Sacramento, but it depends on the neighborhood.

Utilities like energy and water are much more expensive in SD, but it's unwarranted. The utilities simply gouge you here. Solar panels are an excellent choice in either city (Sacramento is one of sunniest places on Earth in summer, so that's free AC!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Do you want to be closer to mountains, rivers, lakes or the coast? Keep in mind coastal climate will be much more moderate year round right 'on' the coast. Though temps climb quickly as one heads inland toward East San Diego county. You will 'generally' get more for your $$ in the Sacramento area along with more wide open spaces outside the city. San Diego is also more of a tourist destination and connected to the larger SoCal concrete jungle. So more traffic and people overall there if you can deal with that. Or if you would want to deal that given other options? Of course, everyone has their preferences. If I had to choose it would most likely be San Diego since I love the coast and we also have relatives down there. However, we very much *dislike* the SoCal crowd scenes. Hence the move further north to the Central Coast which we very much prefer.

Here are a few more threads as food for thought: //www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ty-vs-san.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...acramento.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ease-help.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8144442AAdxZv5

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California